Subject: ALL new miniatures! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thetome.podbean.com/2012/08/20/dnd-seminar-minis-boar...

After listening to the above several times, I finally caught on to the big reveal that this faction will have 100% new sculpts!.

Apparently with D&D Next having a new art direction on the orcs, they are using the opportunity with CAD sculpts to align the minis as well.

Revealed creatures thus far:
Orc Chieftain
Cleric of Gruumsh
Orc Druid
Orc Archer
Ogre

Also implied the Druid could summon beast and elemental creature so probably at least 1 of each.

Oh boy, this is gonna be one hot faction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Thanks for sharing. This is good news. Makes me wonder how much more improved the new sculpts will be over the older ones.

Such hot news, I couldn't sleep unless I told someone. laugh

It looks like they've been slowly testing their new miniature sculpting technology starting with the 2 wizards in Lolth/Cormyr and Hobgoblin Soldier in Tyranny. Curse of Undeath has 3 new minis - Skeleton Warrior, Lich Necromancer & (Larva Mage?), and they are going the full monty with Blood of Gruumsh.

This bodes very well for all future factions!

Wallet: Ouch!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Adam
msg tools
Thanks for the great news! I was hoping that was the explanation for the box cover not matching existing minis very well. I hope the new process works well!

Was there any other info about future sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam24 wrote:
Was there any other info about future sets?

Nope. I forgot there is also a new Disciple of Kyuss in the undead set so that's almost half of it new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss were a great band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The video of the same seminar was posted here.

Preliminary computer-aided sculpt for the Orc Chieftain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if new sculptures will raise prices. I was thinking before that the reason the boxes seemed reasonably priced was sole because they were able to use pre-existing molds. That said there are definitely more than a few old models that were pretty horrible looking. at the same time some old models that were great. Hopefully it doesn't become an all or nothing direction and some models are reused, some replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
I wonder if new sculptures will raise prices. I was thinking before that the reason the boxes seemed reasonably priced was sole because they were able to use pre-existing molds. That said there are definitely more than a few old models that were pretty horrible looking. at the same time some old models that were great. Hopefully it doesn't become an all or nothing direction and some models are reused, some replaced.

I noticed Wizards has been very particular about sticking to fixed overheads for products from the same line so I don't think the price will increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
Hello All,
Auggie Here...

I went to a retailer expo over the weekend and got pics of all the figs from BLOOD OF GRUMISH and thought I'd share. Sorry they are a bit blurry but it's something. WotC reps did give me permission to post these.
Enjoy
.....Andrew

The last pic is an OWLBEAR....It looks MUCH better in person!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
No, MSRP is the same. I know first hand the cost of new molds and sculpts and I can say definitifly it only adds pennies to the cost. I think it was more about getting the first sets out than cheapness.
....Andrew (aka auggie)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
Yeah, sorry bout that. I'm not the most tech savy guy in the world. I also got pics of all the order cards and creature stats and if I get motiviated I'll put them in spreadsheet form or something.
....Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Vazquez
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, a boar! I've been using an Agricola animeeple for my animal companion for two years now. A real mini will be a nice change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that yellowish guy after the boar the ogre from the cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:

Sure looks like it, he has that same square-looking piece hanging on his chest.

I'm personally wondering about #7... a wereboar, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
Yes, it is. Have to say I don't like their new look. Everything else was great though imo.
....Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
I'll check the pic of the stat card a bit later in today and let you know. I took pics of all the stat cards and order cards though some are unreadable.
.....Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew, thanks for posting the pics. Also thanks for providing such a great service selling loose parts for the Adventure games and Dungeon Command. Great to see you on BGG!

auggest wrote:
The last pic is an OWLBEAR....It looks MUCH better in person!

I'm not sure but it looks like Wizards took the voting results for the new Owlbear seriously:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/2012060...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Auggie,

Thanks so much for the pictures. Any information would be much appreciated. Keep up the good work with the individual sales!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vianey
msg tools
Aimon wrote:
snaggle4th wrote:

Sure looks like it, he has that same square-looking piece hanging on his chest.

I'm personally wondering about #7... a wereboar, maybe?

Wereboar it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. interesting that the Wereboar is an Orc.

Boar.. I mean moar please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the poses look familiar; I’m guessing the new models are edited molds of existing figures. Still, other than the wereboar they all look great. I especially like the new ogre, far less cartoonish than some of the ogre models from DDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Thompson
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, these are 100% new models. If the pose looks similar, it's coincidence, because the new orc model (the base for all of the orcs in this set) had to be created from scratch, since it's based on the new look for orcs our art directors have been working on. Likewise with the ogre, and of course the boar and wereboar are completely new as well. When we say 100% new, we mean it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney, thanks for clarifying! Btw, can you get someone to fix the missing link for the Warrior Skeleton reveal?
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/duncommga...

ps. Very cool that the designer of Lords of Waterdeep is sporting the microbadge for The Manhattan Project. Can't wait to see the expansion for LoW! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RodneyThompson wrote:
Actually, these are 100% new models. If the pose looks similar, it's coincidence, because the new orc model (the base for all of the orcs in this set) had to be created from scratch, since it's based on the new look for orcs our art directors have been working on. Likewise with the ogre, and of course the boar and wereboar are completely new as well. When we say 100% new, we mean it...

Thanks for the info, Rodney.

Could you comment on whether there are plans to continue with more factions after the orcs one?

I know you probably can't say anything, but it's worth asking...

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Thompson
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Rodney, thanks for clarifying! Btw, can you get someone to fix the missing link for the Warrior Skeleton reveal?
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/duncommga...

ps. Very cool that the designer of Lords of Waterdeep is sporting the microbadge for The Manhattan Project. Can't wait to see the expansion for LoW! cool

I'll let someone know about it. And I love The Manhattan Project; after Lords of Waterdeep came out, a lot of people said there were similarities between them, so I just had to check it out. After a few plays, I'm solidly in the "fan" camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.