Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now for a replay of scenario 3.

Both of us were hoping to fulfill our special victory condition, so I had two objectives: capture all three control markers, and make sure that some of my 4 units in the "village" survived.

Lannisters first move was to occupy the bridge with his green heavy infantry. Since units cannot advance or pursue onto bridges, this slows Stark down for one round on that flank. I took a shot at that infantry with my Archers, hoping for a lucky morale result, but got none. So in the next turn, I attacked them with Robb. I sent the the other Archer unit onto the middle ford, and some cavalry to the east.

Lannister meanwhile concentrated his forces in the village, and I put my units there in stalwart formation.

Situation at the start of round 2:

I eliminated the infantry on the bridge, and sent Robb south to spread some havoc and attack the Lannister forces near the middle ford, to make sure I'd keep that one (I reactivated him twice that round).

In the village, Lannister eliminated both my Kennelmaster units, but the red infantry and Rickard where more resilient.

The cavalry I had sent east reached the ford, only to be immediately eliminated by Addam. He did not continue north, but reactivated to join the attack on Rickard.

At the start of round 3:

I eliminated the Lannister unit near the middle ford. Robb attacked Lannister units near the village, but to no real effect. Lannister tried to capture Rickard with two 7-dice flanking attacks, but failed (just barely). I was much relieved by this, but even if he had caught Rickard, I still had the red infantry in the building (I was careful not to attack with them so they never lost their cover). I moved some infantry toward the eastern ford (using reactivate all), to have a chance to capture it in round 4.

At the start of Round 4:

I disengaged Rickard (betting on luck not get captured with the 3-dice parting blow), and attacked Addam, to keep him from the eastern ford. Did not capture him, though. I managed to move my infantry onto the ford ahead of Addam, and attacked him again to no avail. Addam attacked in turn, but he did not get any morale results, so I kept that ford.
After that, I only had to move a unit onto the bridge to win.

Final board:

Final thoughts: It's probably better for Lannister to make sure that Stark does not get an early victory, since getting an early victory himself is rather chancy, even with combined attacks. But I was also living somewhat dangerously - I guess moving Rickard onto the eastern ford is safer for Stark. In that case, victory points would become important, so Robb would still have to move south as early as possible and chase some Lannisters around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. I think the combination of Robb and Rickard make this scenario unwinnable for Lannister. Has anyone won this playing Lannister?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think this is unwinnable at all. Though i lost the first time we played this, too, it was really just coming down to getting Rickard captured with 7 dice flanking. 47.3 % to get him, 76.1 % if he can't retreat.

Similar situation this time, Stark had the red guys still standing, but i tried the capture two times. That said, i haven't even tried to secure the fords both times, might be that works out quite okay. I am curious to play this a third time, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Zombie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I won with the lannisters, but only because the Stark player thought Rickard was uncapturable. He engaged my red infantry as I moved them toward the builings. I used Adams remove engagement token card and then engaged him with a green infantry, which allowed me to flank with the red. After Rickard went down the Kennelmasters and infantry couldn't get accross the river fast enough with no commander, and were enveloped by my supperior numbers. I chalk this win up to a poor decision by my oppenent. I thought this was unwinnable (unless I could take it to points} when we set the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think this scenario is quite balanced if Lannister does not go for the early victory condition. Preventing Stark from getting all control markers should be easy enough, and then it comes down to victory points. Use careful positioning of units (keep them stalwart, protect weak units), and perhaps withdrawals (I did not mention it in the report, but Jan did use withdrawal once when Robb attacked a green unit. Normally, with pursue, Robb has a good chance of eliminating them, so withdrawing effectively denies the victory point for that round).

Since Stark will probably still try for an early victory, he can't be quite as defensive as Lannister, which might be turned into a victory point advantage. Stark also has two very soft units (the green Kennelmasters with only 3 figures per unit) which again yield easy victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.