Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into this today and am curious how it works.

I had a raid coming in that ran into my RAF fighters at Angels 10, this means the Germans were granted Interception. When rolling for true altitude the German fighters ended up at a top cover of Angels 20 with the bombers at Angels 15. So technically the German fighters get to attack first, but there are no targets within 1 altitude of them.

So with that scenario do:
The German fighters move down one altitude towards the RAF and then the RAF fighters take their turn as normal?

The German fighters pass, stay at their altitude, and play immediately goes to the RAF?

Or something else entirely that Im missing?

I played it as option 1, just from me thinking that I doubted that the German fighters would sit idly above with the calls of 'Achtung Spitfire' coming in from the bombers below. So they still lost a turn to attack and the advantage but they are making their way down to the assailants.

Next question:
If I allot 3 bursts to a target and it ends up being destroyed after the first 2 do I:
Remove the target immediately and still pay for the burst I didnt use?

Leave the target on the map until later and pay for the burst I didnt use?

Either of the above except with me not having to pay for the burst that now isnt required?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.L.W.
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer your first question for sure so I am going to pass and let someone else who is more sure of themselves to answer that one. As for your second question, you would still pay for the burst that you didn't use (removing the target immediately). Think of it as the bursts are so quick that by the time you realized that you hit and destroyed your target in the first or second burst, you already fired off your third burst into the destroyed craft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phytoman has covered your second question well Since you declare your bursts before firing, why not simply roll all your dice together for your shots? So, a Hurri firing three bursts would roll 6 dice all at the same time. That will teach the Hun a lesson good and proper.

As for the first question, your second option is the correct one. The German fighters would not be in contact with the RAF at all, despite frantic radio calls from their bomber boys. The key is in Rule 8.41 Target Selection, with special emphasis on Paragraph 4. A fighter may dive or climb to the adjacent altitude level only if there's a valid target there already. Therefore the top cover in your example would be two levels above, and would 'Pass' as per Rule 8.3, bullet-point 3 because there is no valid target, just a load of German bombers which they probably don't want to hassle. They have not broken off, and do not break off, because they have suffered no damage.

Sure, there has been an interception but there does not have to be combat.

Incidentally, the German bombers must pass because they 'can never attack'.

So, the German turn (they are the Intercepting player so they go first) ends with no combat; the turn then passes to the RAF player who can decide to attack the bombers or to break off and pancake.

Note that if the RAF do attack the bombers, they will then be in the level below the top cover boys and will therefore be valid targets on the next combat round. Note also, though, that if combat ends (with a roll of '1') after that first round, the German fighters will not get a chance to counterattack despite being in an adjacent altitude level.

However if combat continues, they will then come down after the RAF fighters, with an altitude performance advantage (+1) but *not* the Sun advantage, as this can only happen on the first combat round.

I hope this is helpful. If you need further clarification, just fire off another posting. Sorry, couldn't resist the reference to 'firing'. I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.