Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Miller
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after playing Star Trek Catan, I decided this game needed a review. As this is my first review, please be understanding. I'm going to skip explaining the basic rules of Catan (there are plenty of pages dedicated to that) and, instead, will talk about the components, the new things in the game, and my impressions of it. It plays with all the rules of basic Catan, and adds, in my opinion, some fun twists that make the game more enjoyable.

Components:
You get 19 high quality resource tiles, 6 frame pieces (to hold the board in place, also has the ports on them), 95 resource cards (they are water (replacing ore), food (replacing sheep), oxygen (replacing wheat), dilithium (replacing wood), and tritanium (replacing brick), 25 development cards, 10 support (or character) cards, 4 sets of player pieces (4 starbases, 7 outposts, and 15 starships), a Klingon k'tinga cruiser, and the resource/point cards (longest road and largest army).

5/5 stars
All of the components are high quality and look great. I love the buildings and ships- they are high quality plastic.

New Rules:

There are only a few new rules in the game, mostly dealing with the character cards. Each player starts the game with a character card (Either Sulu, Spock, Scotty, or Uhura). Characters can be used to give you some sort of bonus once, and then turned in for a different character (of your choice), or they can be used twice and turned in for a different character. Regardless of if you use the character once or twice, you can only use on ability each round of play. The characters are:

Uhura- Lets you name a resource, then trade any resource in your hand for that resource from up to 2 opponents.
Scotty- Lets you substitute any resource for one of the resources required to build a starship (road).
Spock- If you don't receive any resources after someone rolls for production and a 7 is not rolled, lets you get 1 resource of your choice from the bank.
Sulu- Lets you move 1 starship to any other legal spot on the board, as long as the starship is not blocked by your outposts on both sides.
Kirk- When a 7 is rolled, you can either not lose half the cards from your hand if you have 8 or more or pick any 1 resource card from the bank.
McCoy- Lets you substitute any resource for one of the resources required to get a development card.
Chekov- Lets you move the Klingon back to the asteroid field (the desert) and take 1 resource from the bank that matches the type the Klingon moved from.
Rand- Lets you trade 2:1 for any one resource for 1 turn.
Chapel- Lets you look at the resource hand of an opponent who has more points than you and take 1 resource from them.
Sarek- Lets you discard 1 Starfleet Intervention card (a soldier) to either build an outpost for 1 tritanium and 1 dilithium, or a starbase for 2 water and 1 oxygen.

The only other new rules in the game are that, instead of replacing outposts with starbases, you upgrade them, meaning you put a starbase top on the outpost. That is why you have 7 outposts, so you can get all the points you need to win with 3 starbases and 4 outposts.

4.5/5 stars

Impressions:
I really enjoyed the game. I loved the cards and what they added, though I hated that Sarek and Chapel were so situational. We used Spock, Kirk, Chekov, and Scotty the most. I was in last place and used Chapel, which let me steal the card I needed to get my starbase, but none of us used Sarek. He didn't seem worth it to us- You can build a starbase for 5 cards, or discard a development card and 3 resources for a city- a 6 card investment. Plus, none of us wanted to discard our soldier card- we use them frequently. All in all, however, I really enjoyed the game, and thought it offered a lot more flexibility and fun than regular Catan. The characters allowed me to come from behind and win (I was behind by 2 points), and I enjoyed how it was different- the characters kept us all on our toes, and allowed everyone a fair chance to win. No one was clearly in the lead during our games playing, which was fun and enjoyable.

All in all, if you like Catan and Star Trek, get it. If you like Catan but wish it had some different and fun changes, get this. If you don't like Catan- don't get this.

Feel free to ask any questions you want- I'll do my best to answer them!

Here's a link to my other reviews: Reviews by Mil05006
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ninjaWait! Wait! The game is from Europe and you said plastic??? Oh, and it uses dice... is Catan becoming Ameritrash? There, I said it outloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We whittled a few starships out of wood, and then decided otherwise....

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Europe. This showed up at our Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roznai
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mayfair version of game was made in America. but, both the Kosmos and Mayfair versions used plastic and Catan has always had dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Golia
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
You can play Catan without dice with the card set that you can purchase separately, which my group and I love over dice. Dice are just way too random. The cards have opened up the game where everyone has a fair chance to win, IMO and the groups opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't find the cards, are they still available???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The cards are part of "Traders & Barbarians".

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.