Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Bananagrams» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 77 Bananagrams: Peel back a spot and spell some words! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

This is a better scrabble variant or game than scrabble (in my mind). It comes in a neat looking banana holder. The game is easy to play and score. Everything is contingent on how much you like to sit around and spell words. This is very much multi-player solitaire. There is very little interaction.

The components are about what you would expect (like scrabble letter tiles). The rules are short and concise. Overall, this is a fun little word game. I decided to purge, mostly because I don't want to spell words for fun.

Personal preference, but purge.

Components:

There really isn't much that comes with the game. You get a banana case, some tiles, and some rules. Everything is okay for such a cheap game.

Rule Book:

Hardly book and more like a small piece of paper. The rules are short, clear and concise. You can learn to play in seconds.

Flow of the Game:

You get some letters and you form words out of them. I'm not trying to be overly brief, but that is the game. That's it. If you are stuck, you can dump a letter to take three more. If you place a word, you say "peel" and every then draws a letter. The first person done wins.

Should I buy this game?

You like quick word games, then yes. If you don't want to spend your free time spelling words, then no. If you are a fan of scrabble and want to try something different, this can be a very cheap, quick playing game to scratch the itch. There are not points for building words, instead you just try to use all your letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolfo Beunding
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not play this with a literature major, unless you are of the same fabrication. All I hear from my wife and daughter is "peal". Over and over and over, it is the same thing. They get mad at me when I sit their waiting for them to finish pealing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randolfo wrote:
Do not play this with a literature major, unless you are of the same fabrication. All I hear from my wife and daughter is "peal". Over and over and over, it is the same thing. They get mad at me when I sit their waiting for them to finish pealing as well.

Agreed. In a game like this where certain people bring more knowledge than others, you need to be on equal footing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small rules quibble--players call "PEEL" when they have no more letters in their hand, not when they simply complete a word.

Even though the game occurs in your own space, it's a race game. There's plenty of tension and excitement to be had when a group can give each other friendly fire and talk some trash, especially when everyone gets to check the winning player's grid for errors.

It's a good "once a year" game for me at family gatherings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randolfo wrote:

Add in theme words. For example, words must all be fruits and vegetables. Or names of sports franchises. Or cheese related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.