Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Berry
United States
Springfield
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAKE SNAP… END AROUND… THE BLITZ IS ON… A SEVEN YARD LOSS…

It’s been 25+ years since my last game, but I still have the broadcast snippets from “Talking Monday Night Football” in my head. Only the K-TEL superstar game comes close to claiming as much valuable brain space. Surely that’s a sign (not only of my insanity but also) that audio could be more often used in games today.

The board is a standard football board game—green with hash marks to move the little football up and down the field. But easily the coolest feature is the compact disc (of the ‘70s sort) device that plays the records. The player on offense picks a record with the play he wants to run, places it half-way in the device, and hands it to the player on defense. The defender spins the disc with his finger to the defense he wants and pushes down the disc. An announcer (talented voice—reminds me of an NFL films announcer rather than an actual play-by-play guy) then calls the play based on this combination.

STONE WALL!

Because these offense/defense selections can result in only one outcome (a long pass versus an outside run coverage will always be the same), you exhaust the possible plays quite quickly. Soon, you know the play result after one word out of the announcer’s yap.

RECEIVERS ARE WELL-COVERED… HE PASSES ANYWAY… 30 YARDS DOWN FIELD… INTERCEPTED!

We played anyway. There’s a “Hoity Toity” similarity in that there are limited options but there’s the psychology of it all. The pure balls to guard the run when you’ve been getting owned in the air the last three plays, or going for it on 4th and 1.

There’s a Football Strategy ultra-lite feel to the game too. Same result for each cross-grid, but it’s the tendencies and bluffing that make this work.

Keeping track of the board, score and time left wasn’t difficult. Soon, it was second nature.

HE GAINS FIVE… HE GAINS NINE… KNOCKED OUT OF BOUNDS!

A good game for trash-talking and embellishing on the call of the play—“VICIOUSLY knocked out of bounds,” you would add as the unpaid color-commentator.

Even our dads gathered around when we played this, sometimes. They loved it.

THE KICK IS… PARTIALLY BLOCKED… SHORT… NO GOOD.

Batteries drained quickly and often. The game was no good without them. Wonder how much the Energizer Rabbit would help, today? Hmmm.

THE KICK IS HIGH ENOUGH… AND LONG ENOUGH… BUT WIDE TO THE LEFT!

The game was more than its novelty, but not enough more. Still, I’d love to grab a copy of this. Great for a baby boomer/gen-x reunion.

(If you noticed that I remembered any of the clips wrong, you need more help than I do. shake )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FLEA-FLICKER PASS.... TOUCHDOWN!!!

is forever burned into my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quick kick.. no, it's a fake! Quarterback throws... incomplete - Penalty!

you forgot the penalty.. always a penalty on that one.. right?

Hand off to the half-back... lateral to the quarterback ...

Yup.. my brain's still got em in there too.. thanks for reminding me.. I'll have to buy a copy of this now just to shut that voice up.

Thanks

Dave

PS - I played against a guy that used to spin the record slightly before shoving it in.. I don't think he knew that those of us that know the game could tell that it was the wrong result.. what the heck.. it was someone to play against.. I got to the point that I'd put the defense between two acceptable ones.. ahh.. gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nordquist
United States
Rockford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reviews have nailed the game. When I was in college we had a tournament one year using Talking Football. Imagine a bunch of 20 year olds having a blast with this one. It was a riot!! Easy to learn and ,yes, a player cringed or jumped for joy upon hearing the first words; the announcements were predictable. But we didn't see that as a set-back. That was all part of the fun!! We didn't care about the lack of a complicated permutation system, either. We simply loved the game as it was. Laugh, laugh, laugh..or cry depending on your play choice and its result.

Lots of fun, fun, fun!!

HE GAINS FIVE… HE GAINS NINE… KNOCKED OUT OF BOUNDS!....

"I didn't call that defense!"
"What defense did you call?"

YES!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R E
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this one when I was a kid - it was a hand-me-down from a cousin. Very fun. I had a 1p variant I would play by facing the disc away from me, after I'd selected my play, and spinning it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone made a recording of all the results on a digital format?

I was always fascinated by this game as a child when I saw it in catalogs. I never played it, but I would love to hear these play results.

I'd buy a copy on eBay, but very few games seem to exist with a functional record player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
.....HE'S GOING ALL THE WAY........TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Does anyone remember the plastic coin that came with the game? Yes, you had to toss a coin to determine which team had possession initially. For some reason, I really liked that thematic touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lewicki
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I don't think I've ever experienced a larger flood of 30-year-old memories than the ones I had reading this thread. Even the "wait, that's not the play I called!!!" comment. That's just...creepy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome awesome
I had a complete great shape copy of this that my mom pitchedcrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, those were the days... walking home after school with my buddy, trying to decide if we should play Pong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Telstar or Talking Football. Thanks for the happy memory jolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank De
United States
California
flag msg tools
My favorite was "... quarterback drops back... blitz is on.. its a draw! big hole... 15 yards!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawrence
msg tools
Great memories in this thread! That's NBC's Dick Enberg doing the playcall(s). My favorite portion of the game though was that cool scoreboard with the (then) 26 labels with the pre-printed team names that you could slide in...my Dad and I would oftentimes substitute a handwritten 'Visitors' vs 'Home' scenario at the kitchen table.

Hey! I didn't call that defense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.