Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi,

Me and some friends have been involved for the past 3 years in the creation of an Online Strategy Card Game. Guaranteed 100% indie game spirit.

Read IndieGameMag.com's preview to know more about it:
http://www.indiegamemag.com/50615/#.UEh5wY19H9Y

We would like to invite people from BoardGameGeek to this exclusive alpha session because it's the place where the connoisseurs meet and share their thoughts. We believe your suggestions and feedback will be invaluable.

We love board games, from Agricola to Chess, through Caylus and Warhammer. This game borrows also a lot from Magic and Netrunner. We have tried to turn all that into something digital, without sacrificing depth. We have been designing this for years, always changing what we didn't like to keep only the best ideas and mechanics, in order to create something we're very excited to play, and more importantly, replay.

Many features and mechanics in this game revolve around its "board game" nature, it's really more than a card game. Its most eloquent originality is that players keep creating (or destroying...) the board as the game progresses. The point is that all your territory is where you can cast your creature and structure cards. Once they hit the board, your cards turn into pawns which are able to attack, move, harvest resources... All this inside a battle.net like system which finds opponents for you.

Here are the details for this very special session:
- to apply, simply send me email with your preferred nickname to: jeanmichel.vilain {hat} gmail {dowt} com
- the session will start on the 14th September 06:00pm GMT+1, you play when you want until we shut the server down on Sunday night
- you will receive a first email to confirm whether you have been selected or not
- the selected players will receive a second email just before the session starts including their login information
- the game is in alpha state, so you can expect bugs but it runs pretty well overall

Please share this post's url AT WILL! Thanks ;-)
Here's my twitter account, in case: @jiem_

If you've got a question or would like to share your impression, use this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Debien
Belgium
Herent
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
Re: Digital CCG/Boardgame : online alpha weekend 14-16 Sept.
This looks amazing! I'd love to get my hands on this. Too bad I've got plans for that weekend, so I won't be applying for a position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pierlot
msg tools
Re: Promising Digital CCG/Boardgame: online alpha weekend 14-16 Sept.
That's ok!

If you have only time for a few games you can still apply, also we will organize further playtests in the upcoming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, nice to see you're doing another one of these! Do I have to re-register or can I reuse my existing login?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Kempeth, I still got your email, so you'll receive the generic invitation by email, most likely today. Accounts have been reset (lots of cards have changed, ...).

Glad to hear you'll be playing ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks to all of you who sent me an email up to now, keep up with your playtest requests and don't forget to mention the nickname you'd like to wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brett wagner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind helping out, it looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I missed it in your post or that review, but is this a browser-based game or a downloadable installation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in-browser.

@OP: I'll try to get a few games in but part of that weekend is already booked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Yes it's browser based, it's made in Flash. I know how this technology sounds to some people, but we've struggled to get the most out of it and runs pretty well.

Also don't be afraid if I mentioned the starting time using GMT timezone. There will be people from everywhere (more participants are coming from others communities).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abate
Italy
flag msg tools
This game is looking very good, can't wait to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should seriously consider getting your game hosted on Kongregate. It can generate some income if it takes off and you have a portion of your target audience right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat!
Omega2064 wrote:
You should seriously consider getting your game hosted on Kongregate. It can generate some income if it takes off and you have a portion of your target audience right there.
I'll second this. I check out Kongregate semi-regularly for new and interesting games, and PLENTY of people visit the site very regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Yes, interesting thoughts on Kongregate. For some reasons I think it's not the appropriate place, and that our game remains ours, on www.faeria.net.
Correct me if I'm wrong but my perception of Kongregate is that it's for smaller games.

Faëria is almost a MMO. It's a sort of enriched battle.net platform, where you can find opponents, make trades, have fun in chatrooms, unlock achievements, challenge other players for ante game, watch the rankings, observe another game,...

Come on and try the game first, and then you'll tell me if you think it really fits on Kongregate ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bestam wrote:
Yes, interesting thoughts on Kongregate. For some reasons I think it's not the appropriate place, and that our game remains ours, on www.faeria.net.
Correct me if I'm wrong but my perception of Kongregate is that it's for smaller games.

Faëria is almost a MMO. It's a sort of enriched battle.net platform, where you can find opponents, make trades, have fun in chatrooms, unlock achievements, challenge other players for ante game, watch the rankings, observe another game,...

Come on and try the game first, and then you'll tell me if you think it really fits on Kongregate ;-)

Incorrect. Many companies now have their games on their web site AND on Kongregate. It seems a pretty common tactic now. And I have seen at least two companies that had their game on site, on Kong, and on Facebook. (And the last one might as well not exist as FB has this litle habit of arbitrarily locking out accounts.)

There are several large games on Kongregate. Some very complex productions now have been presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Alright I get your point, I think we have to consider Kongregate as way to reach players. I need to talk of that possibility with my team. The only thing that bothers me is the negative perception I have of Kongregate. It's hard to explain actually, anyway if it can score players for our game it's a plus.

To the others: keep up with sending me your participation requests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now had this been a discussion of newgrounds. I'd be in total agreement. Newgrounds is pretty horrid and lacks many of the features needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Just edited the post to make it clear that you dont have to be there for the whole weekend.
You play when you have 20 free minutes ahead, it's the average game duration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hey folks!

We received lots of requests, I linked to this post from reddit. Only 20 more seats ;-)
Thanks for the amazing words to all the people who expressed their interests for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Vilain
Belgium
flag msg tools
The session has 2 hours ago.
If you want to get in, email me like indicated in the original post. Some people aren't showing up like planned so we have extra seats.
Last time I up this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.