19 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: WW1 Board Game - Axis and Allies style rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aydin Celebi
msg tools
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy an Axis and Allies style board game for the WW1 era. In other words, more of a strategic scope than tactical game.

Right now, I've found 2 games that look good.

http://www.amazon.com/Paths-Glory-The-First-World/dp/B004AR9...

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FU02O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_ti...

Which would you suggest? (or another?). I've also heard a bit about "La Grand Guerre" or something like that?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Mayfair's "The First World War" so I can't comment on that.

Paths of Glory is a very good game, but I am not sure it will meet your goals. It is a more complex game with more subtle strategy involved in the gameplay. It is also a two player only game so if the multi-player aspect of Axis and Allies is what you are looking for PoG won't help you here either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aydin Celebi
msg tools
2 Players is fine.

I said Axis and Allies but more complex is fine too. We've tried out hand at Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III and love those games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your second option is a "little closer" to A&A in complexity and style. PoG is a big change. One could call it a massive leap (very rewarding if you like wargaming as a hobby).

There is also The War to End All Wars: WWI Axis & Allies Variant by Guild of Blades. I have not been much impressed by their work and it is not highly rated but it might just be what you are looking for.

I seem to recall seeing another such A&A variant but cannot recall where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, Central Powers isn't horrible.
Otherwise, I'm waiting for this game from Legion Gaming for my A&A WWI fix.

Best of Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires of Iron... Currently on the back burner but if you don't mind playtesting we can bump it up a notch. Geekmail me if interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FireZealot wrote:

Paths of Glory
is highly recommended, though it is nothing like Axis & Allies. It is a card-driven game, a bit more complex but very rewarding if you're willing to give it a chance.

I haven't played the First World Warbut I understand it is more of a Euro with a war theme than an actual wargame. People either love it or hate it, but from what I hear, it's nothing like Axis & Allies either.

Given the choice I'd go with Paths of Glory hands down based on reputation, but it depends what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Storm of Steel begging me to play it but I have not been able to get a group of people together for it. I am not sure it is what you are looking for in terms of complexity, play time or any other criteria but I do know I like that game system (similar to the WWII Krieg game).

I have played The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition a couple of times and I thought it was fantastic. Again, more wargame complexity than A&A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

I am a fan of The First World War . It's complexity level is about the same as Axis and Allies.

The good -

>Plays well with 2,3, or 4 players.
>Easy to follow rule book with lots of examples
>Fog of War through the use of 'dummy' counters - a lot of bluff counter bluff going on.
>Fairly quick game
>Everyone I've played the game with enjoys it.

The not so good -

> Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (surrender of Russia) rules are poorly explained.
> 'Sudden Death' ... The biggest knock on the game has always been the automatic surrender rules. Basically, if you lose home territory or you leave part of your country completely undefended you need to make a special 'surrender' roll. If you fail the roll the game is over.

BTW - that Amazon link you posted... the price is way to high. You should be looking at $25 - $30. Check out the prices at some of the game stores that advertise on this site or buy through a marketplace seller... hell even the Amazon link on the The First World War page has it listed from Amazon Marketplace for $19.

Edit: I see you joined yesterday, posted and already checked into the Geek today. Watch out, Boardgamegeek can be totally addicting! I tossed you a few geek gold to get you started.

Enjoy the BGG experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out To The Last Man!

I have not played myself but the very positive comments put it on my radar. Apparently it is being reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to ;;

" To the last man ! "
And
" What price glory "

And .. both are on P??? lists.

Low complexity with both,, But they just cover the west front, not global !!
( Both designers have East front designed, but not P??? listed yet.)

' To the last man ' just needs 90 to print.
[shipping prepaid]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you heard anything about when Conflict will be delivered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To the last man is a lighter game about WWI. I would have pre-ordered but I have already done a PnP version that is pretty good so I don't want to drop the money. Which is too bad, cause it's a beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer2C wrote:
Have you heard anything about when Conflict will be delivered?

I have not... However, I believe

Jeremy Blowers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

is involved with the production of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great War is basically A&A in WWI.

Paths is fantastic, but might be too much of a change of style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
FireZealot wrote:

Which would you suggest? (or another?). I've also heard a bit about "La Grand Guerre" or something like that?

LGG is a fantastic game, but it is NOT an A&A like treatment.

It is a complex beast that one shouldn't touch without a very
deep grasp on the fundamental concepts of traditional wargaming -
and probably not without attempting more accessible monsters first.

My understanding is that World War I Gold is a computer port of the
game - which would give an easier entry into the concepts I think,
given that you've played HoI and Vicky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can wait, they recently announced an Axis and Allies WWI game to come out this March/April. I think there is info on the game on Hasbro's website and a page here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kwsrv wrote:
If you can wait, they recently announced an Axis and Allies WWI game to come out this March/April. I think there is info on the game on Hasbro's website and a page here on BGG.

I didn't find anything on Hasbro but here's some more info: http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-1914-world-war-i-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to know that there is an array of games on WW1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.