Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted at http://www.lifeingames.com/2012/07/10/saint-petersburg-descr...

Saint Petersburg, designed by Michael Tummelhofer, is a game in which players compete to bring the greatest reform to Russia during the era of Czar Peter the Great by employing workers, constructing buildings, and bringing the aristocracy under their control. It is card drafting/economic based game, that requires players to manage their limited initial money and use the options available to them create a victory point producing machine.

Saint Petersburg is played on a board that is surrounded by a scoring track, displays the four decks, defines the drafting area, contains a discard pile, and has a chart explaining the endgame scoring for the total of different aristocrats that a player controls. There are four decks: workers, buildings, aristocrats, and trading cards. Each deck has a symbol that corresponds with a starting player token. The player who holds the appropriate starting player token plays first when in the phase that associated with that deck. The game begins by placing two cards from the worker deck for each player in the top row of the drafting area. The player with the worker token plays first and has the option to: Buy a card at face value and put it in his play area, place a card in his hand for free(Max hand size of three), play a card from his hand for face value, or pass. Once he has decided, play proceeds in a clockwise manner around the table until all players have passed. Unlike many games, where passing means a player is out for the rest of the phase, in Saint Petersburg a player is always offered another turn when play reaches him until all players have passed once around the table. After all players have passed, the current phase is then scored. This means all cards in a player’s area of the type representing the current phase provide the amount of victory points and/or money(rubles) shown at the bottom of the card. Once all players have received their rubles and points, the game then moves into then next phase with buildings following workers, aristocrats following buildings, and trading cards following aristocrats. When entering a new game phase, enough cards to bring the available total cards up to eight are drawn from the current deck, and play begins with the player holding the round appropriate marker. This process is repeated until the end of the trading card phase, which has no scoring, when the cards still available on the top row are moved to the bottom row and the top row is filled in with sufficient worker cards to bring the total up to eight between the two rows. Cards that are placed in the bottom row will be available in the next game round for a one ruble discount. Any cards that were on the bottom row at the end of the last round are discarded from play. At this point starting player tokens are passed clockwise and the player with the marker displaying the worker symbol begins everything anew. The game continues in this fashion until the last card of any one of the decks is placed on the board. From this point on the game will continue as normal through the trading card phase when the game comes to an end. Players will then score their total number of unique aristocrats they control according to the table on the board and receive points for their remaining money. The player who finishes with the most victory points wins the game. In the event of a tie the player with the most money wins.

My Review

Saint Petersburg is a highly tactical game, as players have a very limited idea of what cards will be turned off the top of each deck. This often leads to a situation where players simply draft the “best” card available that they can afford, independent of any greater plan. It is not so much a case of trying to implement a strategy, but rather to position oneself to best take advantage of any opportunities that are presented. While this can lead to some players being frustrated by a lack of creative options to explore, others find it exciting that everyone knows what the other players are trying to accomplish, and the player who does it best will win. There are many subtleties involved that range from defensively drafting cards, to controlling how many cards fill in during a phase. It is small maneuvers like those that will often separate the winner from the losers.

Having played Saint Petersburg several times over the years, I can safely say that it provides a unique challenge to players regardless of group size. I prefer the two player game for the greater level of control, but many players will tell you they like the four player game best. I think that Saint Petersburg is an excellent game that finds a fairly comfortable balance between luck and skill. I give it a solid rating of 7.75 out of 10.0. This is one that I have played many times with my wife, and it has a bit of a reputation as a game popular with couples. Perhaps this is due to the immediate style of decision-making in the game. Deeper study is not really required, and within a few plays most players are able to make fairly competent decisions allowing them to, if not win, at least compete. This makes Saint Petersburg accessible to casual gamers as well as their more hardcore brethren, who are able to advance to an even higher level with repeated plays. While I have witnessed extreme cases where luck was responsible for deciding the outcome, more often than not the best player wins.

As for any negatives, I would say the list is fairly limited. I find the lack of alternate strategies to be a bit disappointing. Pretty much the game begins with players trying to establish and income with workers so they may acquire buildings and aristocrats for points during and at the end of the game. The fact that aristocrats are worth so many points in end game scoring, most efforts revolve around players positioning themselves to have the best shot at buying as many unique aristocrats as they are able. Some people have complained about the artwork, but I have always felt it to be evocative of the period that the game is trying to portray. Beyond these minor limitations, I have found there be few negative criticisms to level at Saint Petersburg.

In conclusion, I would recommend Saint Petersburg to any gamer in search of a relatively light card drafting experience that can be easily taught to newcomers, and be played in about an hour. While I would consider Saint Petersburg slightly more advanced than a gateway game, it could definitely be considered the next step. It provides sufficient challenge for hardened veterans while not being so overwhelming that less experienced gamers feel lost. All in all, Saint Petersburg is a quality game that will challenge and entertain most play groups for a good long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Have you played race fo the galaxy before?
Now thats a card game for couple with multiple paths to victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Race for the Galaxy, but oddly enough the gaming league I belong to was playing it on the very night of your reply! I had to skip this week due to other obligations, but I have heard similar comments to yours before and will have to check it out. I believe my wife would like it a lot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main strategy option I've seen seems to be how heavily one goes for buildings versus aristocrats. You usually have to do some of both, but if someone starts going for buildings earlier in the game, it can become insurmountable for the person acquiring aristocrats.

Watching what cards have come out and which are left is another deeper area of strategy that I don't think is apparent in the first dozen plays. Still, you've got to be reactive in this game, and there is definitely some luck.

I like 2 player a lot more myself too Glad you and your spouse enjoy it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.