Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Elrick
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a fan of Paydirt for many years, so when I saw a copy of Bowl Bound at a bring and buy about six years ago I picked it up. I haven't had a chance to play it before now, although I have played Paydirt a lot over the years.

As a Brit, I don't know all that much about college football. We have been able to get some NFL matches on TV over here since the 1980s, but college matches have only started being covered by ESPN America quite recently.

Unlike Paydirt, Bowl Bound's teams don't all come from the same season, but represent a sample of college teams over a period of 15 years or so (presumably the best ones). Not knowing very much about the various college teams I wanted to play using teams which had faced each other. Reading the cards, it appeared that the 1969 Penn State and Missouri sides had played the Orange Bowl and a quick web search confirmed it (http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Orange_1970.htm). In the real match Penn State had won by 10 points to 3, so they appeared to be fairly evenly matched which would make for a good game (rather than one side giving the other a complete pasting, thus boring one of the players).

So, without further ado roll out the cheerleaders and the bands as we replay the 1970 Orange Bowl with the 1969 Penn State Nittany Lions vs the 1969 Missouri Tigers - let the big cats roar!

First Quarter
Penn State won the toss and elected to receive. Their long drive began on their 17 yard line. Penn State steadily marched the ball up the field with a series of short passes and runs, the longest being an 11 yard pass to bring them into range of Missouri's end zone before a 4 yard run and touchdown. The extra point was good.

Penn State had taken six minutes to drive the ball into Missouri's end zone. Missouri took less than a minute to return the favour and score with a a 65 yard pass! The extra point was good. So seven minutes into the game, the score was 7-7.

On Penn State's second drive, Missouri's D really started to show their mettle, making Penn State's QB run more than once and finally stalling Penn State's drive on Missouri's 13 yard line where Penn State missed the field goal.

Penn State very quickly stifled Missouri's second drive, sacking their QB twice, and Missouri were forced to punt it away. Penn State took up the ball and marched it back into Missouri's half. They fumbled the ball in the final seconds of the quarter, but recovered it and the quarter ended with Penn State on Missouri's 47 yard line.

Second Quarter
Penn State opened the second quarter with a spectacular 45 yard run down to Missouri's 2 yard line. After a bit of tussling (1 yard gain, 1 yard loss), they finally ran the ball in for a touchdown a minute and a half into the quarter. The extra point was good.

Penn State kicked off and Missouri ran the ball back a spectacular 60 yards (the highest kickoff return on the card), well into Penn State's half. Their drive started from Penn State's 25 yard line and after only a couple of minutes they scored a touchdown and the extra point was good, evening up the scores at 14-14.

Penn State's next drive started on their own 25 yard line. Maybe nerves were getting frayed because they almost immediately fumbled (but recovered) and, not long afterwards, committed a 15 yard penalty. Their drive ground to a halt and they were forced to punt it away.

Missouri's next drive was over almost before it began. The ball started on Missouri's 38 yard line. On the first play the quarterback was sacked. Then on the next play Penn State intercepted the ball.

Penn State started on Missouri's 47 yard line and their first play was a 33 yard run. Missouri's D piled on the pressure, making Penn State work for every one of the last 13 yards, but they managed to force the ball over for another touchdown. The extra point was good, making the score Penn State 21 - Missouri 14.

Missouri's next drive began on their 27 yard line. A couple of running plays and a defence penalty (Penn State's temper apparently getting the better of them again) brought the ball up to the middle of the field. Missouri managed to drive the ball down to Penn State's 14 yard line before the drive stalled and they were forced to take a field goal. The score now stood at Penn State 21 - Missouri 17 with less than two minutes left in the half.

Penn State almost managed another score as the clock ran down. A 45 yard pass and a breakaway run brought them down to Missouri's 13 yard line just as the whistle went.

Third Quarter
Missouri started with the ball and drove it all the way to Penn State's 6 yard line before having to settle for another field goal. A couple of 15 yard runs and an 18 yard pass contributed to this drive, but the score was Penn State 21 - Missouri 20.

Penn State's next drive started badly and Missouri soon intercepted a pass near the middle of the field to regain possession. Missouri couldn't do much with it though and were soon forced to punt it away.

Penn State started a long slow drive back up the field. There were no spectacular long passes or runs this time, just a series of short plays but it did the job and they eventually ran the ball over for another touchdown. The extra point was good and, with little more than 3 minutes of the quarter remaining, the score stood at Penn State 28 - Missouri 20.

Due to Penn State kicking short and Missouri running the ball back a long way, Missouri's next drive started in Penn State's half of the field. On the first play Penn State sacked Missouri's QB. After that Missouri passed and ran the ball well and scored a touchdown in the final 20 seconds of the quarter. The kick was good and at the end of the third quarter the scoreline read Penn State 28 - Missouri 27.

Fourth Quarter
So it was all to play for as the fourth quarter opened. Penn State started with the ball but their drive stalled just inside Missouri's half and they were forced to punt it away.

Missouri started on their 7 yard line, but with a seemingly unstoppable series of 12 and 14 yard passes and runs quickly moved the ball back up to Penn State's 30 yard line, where their luck finally turned sour. They fumbled the ball and Penn State picked it up.

With a couple of long passes and some decent runs Penn State moved the ball back into Missouri's half but, sadly just outside field goal range, their drive stalled and they were forced to punt it away. Penn State's D were strong however and Missouri weren't able to move the ball more than a couple of yards so they were quickly forced to punt it back up the field.

Starting from just inside their own half, Penn State started slowly moving the ball forward scoring a first down from 3 plays. It really looked like being another long drive, then they just cracked off a 44 yard run to score a touchdown. WThe extra point was good and with almost exactly 4 minutes of the game remaining the score was now Penn State 35 - Missouri 27.

Missouri's luck seemed to have finally deserted them. On the second play of their next drive, Penn State intercepted a pass and ran it back into range of Missouri's end zone. A couple of plays later and Penn State scored another touchdown, making the scoreline Penn State 42 - Missouri 27. There were 3 minutes of the game remaining.

Now Missouri were showing signs of frustration, with a couple of 5 yard offence penalties in the next drive. However, in spite of this they did manage to drive the ball back up to the middle of the field. However, with just over a minute of the game remaining Penn State once again intercepted the ball. In the final minute they weren't able to do much with it, only moving it back to Missouri's 35 yard line as the clock ran out.

Final Score: Penn State 42 - Missouri 27

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan State - I think those are probably the top 4 teams in the original set that came with the game.

I personally think the '69 Longhorns are the best of the bunch, but I'm biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Texas, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan State - I think those are probably the top 4 teams in the original set that came with the game.

Navy, with its option and Staubach, along with LSU certainly held their own in each contest they participated in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of tournaments with all of the teams, and I can say that Navy's defense is pretty porous, whereas the better defenses in the set can shut Navy down, most of the time. I don't recall LSU; I'll have to look at them again, but I don't think their defense matches up against that of the teams I mentioned, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed Notre Dame(PR: 251.5) is the best team, but I can't say we've used them very often, so I don't feel comfortable stating it definitively. I have played half the set against a guy who liked using USC(PR: 247), and only won with Penn State(by a field goal, and he was driving for the win when time expired), so I tend to favor them as the best of the set, so long as OJ is moving the ball. Alabama finishes out my top 3, as they are awfully hard to beat, too.

Otherwise, based on games played and keeping in mind that playing styles vary, here's the rest of my top 10, roughly in order:

Ohio State(PR: 247)
Penn State(PR: 250.5)
LSU(PR: 243.5)
Stanford(PR: 242.5)
Nebraska(PR: 249)
Texas(PR: 247)
Ole Miss(PR: 246)

Yale(PR: 232.5) deserves an honorable mention, as they dominate the other two Ivy League teams and would probably take down a good number of the Division 1A teams if given the chance.

As far as Navy(PR: 242.5) goes, there's no team I'd rather have for coming back with just 2 minutes to go - Staubach has broken Army hearts more than once, believe me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

In the many tournaments that we played, the final 4 many times came down to '66 ND, '69 Texas, '66 MSU, and '66 Alabama...occasionally '68 USC and Syracuse (can't remember the year) broke through as well...the '69 Penn State team never fared that well with us for some reason...

The '66 ND team won by far the majority of our tournaments/games...their draw play was unstoppable (if you rolled a 33, it was DEF 15 yard penalty)...I remember our first 32 team bracket's Final 4 came down to ND vs. Alabama & Texas vs. MSU...ND & Texas won which brought us to what we thought would be a classic championship game, ND vs. Texas...ND won 64-3. The guy playing Texas was a huge Longhorn fan and that game nearly brought him to tears (we were a lot younger then)...

Probably my favorite moment was pulling a huge upset over ND with '70 Air Force...we had one guy that loved playing ND and he very rarely lost when playing them and he usually talked a lot of trash...I was down a TD, scored late (less than a minute to go), went for 2 and ended up on top, something like 38-37...he was pretty silent after that game...I have to say I got pretty lucky in that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.