$10.00
Recommend
93 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Initial Impressions/Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Lim

California
msg tools
Summary

A very solid game that falls under the "easy to learn difficult to master" praise for games. It recreates the fighter ship battles in Star Wars (Yavin timeline) fairly faithfully. The review is based on 2 games, full rules, with two starter boxes.

Components

The components in the box is typical FFG quality; the tokens are nice and differentiated enough to be recognizable. The stat and damage/upgrade cards are smaller but of same quality. The dice has clear, non-convoluted icons. Because there is quite a bit of them, however, a container is highly recommended (again, typical FFG game). The maneuver dial is more functional than I thought and is a very novel idea.

(There is one token I'm not clear of as to where to use it, but I have a good guess as to what it is.)

Miniatures

Nicely painted miniatures, I'm very happy with them; it's a big draw for a person like me who likes to paint, but not take up 80% of my hobby. The models are very good looking but seem a little brittle (due to the paint process and scale, more likely, than the type of plastic).

The base is a good idea and again a welcome mechanic; I like how the plastic stand connector is already put into the miniature to lessen the potential for breakage.

(Expansions like the Y-Wing come with their own tokens and cards such as alternate pilots and of the same quality as the components and minis in the starter units.)

Rules/Gameplay

The game plays fairly fast and brings lots of tactical and maneuver decisions. It feels like a dogfight. A lot of the mechanics were meant to make the game flow smoother and faster, such as the movement templates, maneuver dials, and stats on the bases. The rules are easy: the way I explained it to my wife and 8 year old son was to play through it; and it took me less than 30 minutes to absorb the rules myself. It's probably the easiest time I had explaining and understanding the rules.

The units don't deviate too much in terms of stats at first blush but they definitely handle differently in the game. You can appreciate why the game's X-Wing to TIE Fighter ratio is roughly 1:2.

(Examining the TIE Advanced and Y-Wing expansion minis make for more variation in the game and introduces concussion missiles and ion cannons.)

One of the other things we like is the fact that dice rolling in general has been reduced; rolling just one time for attack/damage (and one for defense) is a big plus especially if the game starts to have multiple units (big dogfights!) in it. I know alternate rules in the cards would increase the die rolls, but it's a good compromise to offer closer simulation and variety in the game.

What we don't like is the amount of tokens used, (even though it's not much for an FFG game). In a tactical fast miniatures game tokens clutter the tabletop and slows down the experience some. Damage resolution, while I understand why they adopted the mechanic (customized critical hit effects), was the one area we thought could have been better served with tokens.

Cards were also somewhat redundant because the important stats are on the mini bases as well, but customized rules (genre character pilots, for example, like Luke) are on them so they are still needed for the game.

Overall

I'm excited by the game. The family makes the game even more fun by making TIE fighter noises, repeating lines from the movies ("I can't shake them!"), and poking fun on rules and characters ("Biggs is the bait.").

I see future expansions and even house rules would keep this game fresh. In just the games we played we already had many great moments, such as Luke's X-Wing slipping behind a TIE (mistake on my part during the movement phase) and blowing it out of the sky, is one of the things that the game was able to accurately recreate from the movies.

We definitely like how it plays, how it looks, and the length of time it takes to play.

Background

I've played quite a bit of the newer FFG games, as well as other European and US board games. I'm also a miniatures gamer (usual suspects: Warhammer 40k, Warmachine), and an avid PC/console gamer (RPGs, strategy/RTS, MMOs).
89 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz RafDE
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the solid review!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I played an 8 player game last night and it was a blast.

Memorable moments like Vader and Luke going at it early on and damaging each other with some great rolls made it fun in showing their determination against each other.

Vader with 1 life left lasted quite awhile afterward as he was hounded by a Y-Wing that rolled 3 hits on two consecutive attacks, only to have Vader evade them both times, once due to a re-roll of one die he got from one of my pilots within 1 range. The Y-Wing controller couldn't believe the luck/Force Vader showed. But he eventually bit the dust.

Heck, onetime after finishing our movement phase, my academy Tie-Fighter pilot ended up flying in a 3 wide formation with 2 X-Wings and they were all within a total of like 5 inches of each other. I could see the rookie pilot's face now as he looked to his left and saw two X-Wings flying with him. At least he couldn't get attacked that turn, and the rookie lasted longer than my seasoned pilot. It's extra funny because the rookie was sent out as bait/fodder to draw the Rebels to where we wanted them, it worked but he managed to fly by the seat of his pants for awhile and stay in the most of the battle.

Lots of great memories already from this game.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review on a great game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the Gen Con demo video yesterday and my feelings went from "not really interested" to "hm maybe I have to buy it".

And thx for the review.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our 8 player game on Saturday, there was one guy that is a minis wargamer and also likes Wings of War. He was skeptical about X-Wing before we started setting up and stuff, as he didn't expect it to offer enough depth and tactical decisions. Well, once we started sorting through the pilot cards and special cards that you can add to a fighter to beef it up, he started seeing that it had more to offer. Then after playing, he found that he really enjoyed it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
During our 8 player game on Saturday, there was one guy that is a minis wargamer and also likes Wings of War. He was skeptical about X-Wing before we started setting up and stuff, as he didn't expect it to offer enough depth and tactical decisions. Well, once we started sorting through the pilot cards and special cards that you can add to a fighter to beef it up, he started seeing that it had more to offer. Then after playing, he found that he really enjoyed it.


and I believe he ordered a copy for himself already. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baliw wrote:
(There is one token I'm not clear of as to where to use it, but I have a good guess as to what it is.)

I bet it's the one that had my friend and I stumped for a few games since it isn't called out in the rules. After a few games, one of us loaded Marksmanship into our squadbuilding, and it dawned on us that we've got these handy tokens with a critical hit symbol to mark that new action type.

Why you get one with every ship remains a mystery; just including it in the base set and the expansions that give you a Marksmanship upgrade card would've been sufficient if that is indeed its intended use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
baliw wrote:
(There is one token I'm not clear of as to where to use it, but I have a good guess as to what it is.)

I bet it's the one that had my friend and I stumped for a few games since it isn't called out in the rules. After a few games, one of us loaded Marksmanship into our squadbuilding, and it dawned on us that we've got these handy tokens with a critical hit symbol to mark that new action type.

Why you get one with every ship remains a mystery; just including it in the base set and the expansions that give you a Marksmanship upgrade card would've been sufficient if that is indeed its intended use.


I believe it's intended as a reminder that the ship has critical damage that affects its performance in some way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Storch
Wales
Llanelli
Sir Gaerfyrddin, Cymru
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting.
I'm so frustrated having received the base set a few days ago for my birthday but not having had the opportunity to play. Also got another Base set plus Y wing and Tie Advanced expansions on order...

Can't wait!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Kaffis wrote:
baliw wrote:
(There is one token I'm not clear of as to where to use it, but I have a good guess as to what it is.)

I bet it's the one that had my friend and I stumped for a few games since it isn't called out in the rules. After a few games, one of us loaded Marksmanship into our squadbuilding, and it dawned on us that we've got these handy tokens with a critical hit symbol to mark that new action type.

Why you get one with every ship remains a mystery; just including it in the base set and the expansions that give you a Marksmanship upgrade card would've been sufficient if that is indeed its intended use.


I believe it's intended as a reminder that the ship has critical damage that affects its performance in some way.


Yep
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.