Subject: Observing a purple card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
So this game up in the game tonight and I couldn't find an obvious answer in the rules.

You use the Observatory and you get a purple card. Obviously you can keep the purple card or choose to discard it. But can you choose to play the purple card right away?

The rules for the Observatory allow you to buy the card, keep it in you hand or discard it. So wondering if you also have three options for purple cards. Couldn't find any clarification with the expansion.

We ruled that you could only keep the card or discard the card. Since the originally observatory mentioning buying the card as an option and you can't really buy the purple card. Anybody know one way or another? I could see arguments made both ways with regards to this, but again I couldn't find it in the rules. Anybody have anything official here for future reference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
From the Banquet rules, page 3:

Players do not play the special cards (purple on their fronts) as they do other cards. When taken, the player pays nothing and adds the card to his hand. He *may not play the card immediately*. [emphasis added]

The Observatory allows a player to potentially claim an unknown card from a draw pile, instead of those face up on the board. Just as a purple card taken from the board cannot be played immediately, a purple card taken via an observatory cannot be played immediately. The option to "build a card", in both cases, is irrelevant for purple cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.