Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

this rule says at the end of the battle, the crew may abondoned the vehecle but each man must roll once on the wounds table.

this seems very harsh for a track hit since the wounds table will cause a wound 60% of the time.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Randy,

I don't know if this was the "official" intention, but I've always rationalized this roll as follows:

The roll doesn't represent wounds taken from the track hit. Rather it represents possible wounds taken from enemy fire as you abandon the tank, and then try to find your way back to friendly lines.

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacksmith61 wrote:
Hi Randy,

I don't know if this was the "official" intention, but I've always rationalized this roll as follows:

The roll doesn't represent wounds taken from the track hit. Rather it represents possible wounds taken from enemy fire as you abandon the tank, and then try to find your way back to friendly lines.

Hope this helps...

I'm sure this is exactly what this represents. Bailing out under fire was hazardous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bailing out under fire during the battle makes sense, thanks.

But if the crew stays in the tank until the battle ends, then the day of combat is over. I reread the rule and it makes sense this way.

So abandone tank under fire and roll on wounds table, or sit there until battle over and climb out safely.

Presence of enemy tanks or AT guns will influence this decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I still don't think it's right, myself. Here's my similar question, from another thread (Loadsa Questions):

If the tank has been knocked out, and you've already rolled for a wound - fair enough; you have just had a piece of tungsten move into your vehicle at some speed - if you wanna bail out, you roll for a wound.

If the tank has thrown a track, and you wanna get out - roll for a wound.

Bogged down, abandon vehicle - roll for a wound.

If the tank has been knocked out and you want to go back in to rescue your buddy - guess what, you roll for a wound.

You want to make some coffee - you roll for a wound. I jest.

But why all this about rolling for a wound? How often do people really get knocked unconscious or killed while climbing out of a tank?

Now I apreciate that the tank *may* be under fire. But you can't assume that it is under fire all the time. Indeed, it's not; otherwise why is there 'harassing fire' and why don't crewmen who are simply poking their noddles up out of an open hatch have to - oh let's see now - 'roll for a wound'?

(PS - Added to that, the Loader, if he has no hatch, gets a +1 (worse) bailout modifier; why not the Gunner? He never has a hatch!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

It seems extremely harsh to me too. but I suppose tankers bailing out would draw enemy fire. There is only a 1 n 5 chance of a serious wound tho.

I assume the long range -10 mod would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
King_Drax_I wrote:
I still don't think it's right, myself. Here's my similar question, from another thread (Loadsa Questions):

If the tank has been knocked out, and you've already rolled for a wound - fair enough; you have just had a piece of tungsten move into your vehicle at some speed - if you wanna bail out, you roll for a wound.

If the tank has thrown a track, and you wanna get out - roll for a wound.

Bogged down, abandon vehicle - roll for a wound.

If the tank has been knocked out and you want to go back in to rescue your buddy - guess what, you roll for a wound.

You want to make some coffee - you roll for a wound. I jest.

But why all this about rolling for a wound? How often do people really get knocked unconscious or killed while climbing out of a tank?

Now I apreciate that the tank *may* be under fire. But you can't assume that it is under fire all the time. Indeed, it's not; otherwise why is there 'harassing fire' and why don't crewmen who are simply poking their noddles up out of an open hatch have to - oh let's see now - 'roll for a wound'?

(PS - Added to that, the Loader, if he has no hatch, gets a +1 (worse) bailout modifier; why not the Gunner? He never has a hatch!)

I see you have reposted your somewhat sarcastic objections to the wound rules here. Please see my recent reply ( on the appropriate thread ). The rules are perfectly reasonable here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Calxx55 wrote:
I assume the long range -10 mod would apply.

Generally speaking, only if the actual Unit firing is in the long range ring.

However, as "Harassing Fire" does not come from any specific unit; if the only Enemy LW or MG units ( on the battleboard ) are in the long range ring when "Harassing Fire" occurs, then yes.

Note that the same -10 mod. applies to "Harassing Fire" if "all non-US controlled close zones are under Advancing Fire".

[ -10 max. if both are applicable. ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.