Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my game group brought this game to our weekly game, yesterday. I had not heard of it but checked BGG and saw it pretty high on the top game list so got pretty excited. He bought it many years ago in Australia and never had a chance to play it. It was everyone's first try.

Michael explained the rules and it went pretty quick. I was unsure about everything in the game but ready to jump in and give it a try. Looking at the rules they were just a single double-sided sheet which surprised me.

I chose to be Spain, Michael chose France and Lia chose Britain. It was to be a three player game. I was allied with Lia and Micheal was by himself. Neutrals were chosen and we dove in.

The strategy of the game was not immediately clear. The first round we all built ships and armies and our populations quickly dropped. Lia went first and moved to the Baltic area but lost her army in an attack. Michael took some slaves in the Caribbean. I took out a neutral and got a control marker in India.

As the first war went more areas were taken, Lia in the East Indies, Micheal in the Germanic States and me in Baltic area and moving into Central Europe.

I was the first to buy a card, Army Training. It seemed expensive but seemed like a good idea. Others started looking at the cards, too. Through the game some took Navy training, Militia, Native Armies, and I took Logistics. By the third war the strategy was starting to show us what to do.

The final war was much more directed on how to get the victory points and what to do to stop others from getting them. At games end Michael had majority control in Germany and North and Central America. Lia was had majority control in the West Indies and the Mediterranean. I had majority in The Baltic States, Central Europe, India and the Ottoman Empire.

After unrest was calculated I won by a single point above Michael.

I liked the game but I found myself wondering if there were too many cards for a three player game and that perhaps it would have been scaled better to have some removed. I started to see the strategy and could understand that unrest really wasn't so bad when your pushing for troops and territory. We kept forgetting to pay for starting fights and completely forgot that part in the first war which really would have effected things to come. Really I enjoyed the game and am looking forward to trying it again in the future, hopefully with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expand
Glad to hear you will persist. The ideal number is 5 in our group as the unbalanced alliance keeps the turn auctions* tense.
At 7 players there is an opposite tile problem - not enough to go around!

*EDIT: Did you remember to rerun the auction for alliances before wars II and III?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray.T
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, I find that 5 and 7 player games are the best. Games with 4 and 6 are fun too, but that odd number does change things a bit. For a 2 or 3 player game, well, I would say they are only good for teaching the game to new players.

For me, the most intense and fun games have ever played were with 7, but this does take a bit longer than with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how games with more people could take a good deal longer. We weren't really sure about what to do and took some time to decide. I think I'd take more time to decide with more experience since I'd know the consequences of the actions I could take.

We did remember to re-bid for alliances. It was interesting, because in the last war I was trying to bid to have no alliance since I wanted to attack both the other players with my army. They were trying to be on my side since my army was the largest in Europe where they both had holdings. Ended up losing troops in the Mediterranean but that's when I took the Ottoman Empire, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Pleasant View
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to try it with five or more before you make your final conclusion about this game. With five, it's one of my favorite games. Every decision is critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray.T
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junomaul wrote:
I can see how games with more people could take a good deal longer. We weren't really sure about what to do and took some time to decide. I think I'd take more time to decide with more experience since I'd know the consequences of the actions I could take.

Even in a seven (7)player game, when all the players are experienced, the rounds move quickly along, but at times, a player might be in a jam and needs a little bit more time to figure things out.

I agree with thedacker. Be sure to try it with five or more before you make your final conclusion about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make sure and try it with five. Now, where to find five gamers in Shanghai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.