Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament bracket has been posted!
This thread will be updated throughout the tournament.

The tournament is underway! We have a full field of 64 participants for the first Netrunner OCTGN tournament.

Scheduling Update: Please hold off on scheduling matches until the tournament officially begins. People can still drop from the tournament which alters the pairings automatically within Challonge. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Scheduling Update 2: The bracket is now locked. You may begin scheduling matches immediately. Happy running!

Round 1:
- COMPLETE!
Round 2:
- COMPLETE!
Round 3:
- COMPLETE!
Round 4:
- COMPLETE!
Round 5:
- COMPLETE!
THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Match Reporting:

Visit the official match reporting geeklist.

Rules & Bracket:

http://octgn.challonge.com/anr_octgn_1

Tournament Format:

- 64 Entries
- 5 rounds of Swiss culminating in a 4 man elimination bracket to determine 1st through 4th place.

Round Schedule
Oct 01: Kickoff
Oct 09: End Round 1
Oct 16: End Round 2
Oct 23: End Round 3
Oct 30: End Round 4

Nov 06: End Round 5
Nov 13: End Round 6
Nov 20: End Round 7
Nov 22: --THANKSGIVING--

A Few Important Notes:

- This is an international tournament. Please keep that in mind before signing up. You may need to be flexible with your availability.

Voice Chat:
Dbzer0 has been kind enough to volunteer his mumble server for the tournament's use. Mumble is a client/server voice chat application that we can use to talk during our matches. Not mandatory, but encouraged!

http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=545
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Netrunner OCTGN Tournament: 1 Registration
Player Roster - updated every so often, BCZ got tired of putting time stamps here.

Where there are multiple IDs, the key is:
Challonge ID : BGG ID : OCTGN ID

Where there is only one ID, all IDs are congruent across all systems.

-=-=-=-=-

.. Shobalk (USA)
.. byronczimmer (USA)
.. DbZer0 : dbzer0 : db0 (Germany)
.. Pokeratician (Ireland)
.. ccasin (USA)
.. Malefact (United Kingdom)
.. Yaiba (USA)
.. Jythier (USA)
.. kaffis (USA)
.. Wolf88 (Italy)
.. Zeromus (USA)
.. Kamakaze : Kamakaze : Kam (Norway)
.. Alexfrog (USA)
.. ShazzamaPajama (?)
.. aHein (Finland)
.. RyanMC (USA)
-------------------- 16 (minimum 3 Swiss Rounds, 2 round single-elimination finals) {THIS IS NOT A CUTOFF, Just marking each group of 16 attendees}
.. Wimpgod (USA)
.. argus88 (USA)
.. hollis (Canada)
.. hobb3 (Poland)
.. Cilantr0 : Cilantr0 : BadDecisionDino (USA)
.. ThoonHulk (USA)
.. hypersoar (?)
.. hidamiyiagi (Greece)
.. Golem (Italy)
.. sydwys8 (USA)
.. ThinkTank (USA)
.. cubbieblue (USA)
.. Edwin20er (USA)
.. Granet (USA)
.. shard (USA)
.. kengi (USA)
-------------------- 32 (minimum 4 Swiss Rounds (5 recommended), 2 round single-elimination finals) {THIS IS NOT A CUTOFF, Just marking each group of 16 attendees}
.. jopejope (USA)
.. AstroLad (USA)
.. nyarlathotep : nyarlathotep : azazoth13 (USA)
.. paulgrogan (United Kingdom)
.. raid1280 (USA)
.. afifter (USA)
.. MyckKabongo (USA)
.. Fizzster (USA)
.. Orange Devil (?) : orangedevil
.. IamSalvation (Germany)
.. fabianfritzer (Germany)
.. Dan G K
.. kobold47:kobold47:OvaMod7 (USA)
.. Bushinone (France)
.. Ricc0 (?)
.. Phelanpt (Portugal)
-------------------- 48 (recommending 5 Swiss Rounds, 2 round single-elimination finals) {THIS IS NOT A CUTOFF, Just marking each group of 16 attendees}
.. Meepleplex : Meepleplex : Googol (United Kingdom)
.. Legion of DOOM : Legion of DOOM : yourbunnywrote (Belarus)
.. NBNCorp
.. CitizenFry : CitizenFry : Fry (USA)
.. kufel : kufel : kufel007 (Poland)
.. Juneau585 (USA)
.. Wormhole_Surfer (France)
.. Solidhavok (USA)
.. cham (France)
.. Wosho (?)
.. arsensei (?)
.. kingjames01 (Canada)
.. LordNat (USA)
.. chaochou (United Kingdom)
.. raymonkey (USA)
.. Tukuturi (USA)
-------------------- 64 (5 Swiss Rounds, 2 round single-elimination finals)
CUTOFF (yes, this is a cutoff due to wanting to wrap the tournament up prior to Thanksgiving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual final Roster:

7Tigers
afifter
aHein
argus88
AstroLad
Bushinone
byronczimmer
ccasin
cham
chaochou
Cilantr0
CitizenFry
cubbieblue
dbzer0
fabianfritzer
Fizzster
girmad
hidamiyiagi
hobb3
hollis
jopejope
Juneau585
Jythier
kaffis
Kamakaze
kingjames01
kobold47
kufel
Legion of DOOM
logicalgambit
Malefact
Meepleplex
MyckKabongo
nyarlathotep
Orange Devil
paulgrogan
PJStelford
Pokeratician
raymonkey
rbelikov
Ricc0
RyanMC
shard
Shobalk
Sinquetica
Solidhavok
sydwys8
ThinkTank
ThoonHulk
Tukuturi
Wormhole Surfer
Yaiba
Zeromus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Geeklist intended for match results only? If so, is there a preferred discussion area for tournament-related talk/questions, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
Is the Geeklist intended for match results only? If so, is there a preferred discussion area for tournament-related talk/questions, etc?

I suspect that THIS thread will be that area (with a title change), and is why I reserved the first two posts for updates.

Players are expected to set up matches point-to-point though, via geekmail or the message system in Challonge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Kaffis wrote:

I suspect that THIS thread will be that area (with a title change), and is why I reserved the first two posts for updates.

Players are expected to set up matches point-to-point though, via geekmail or the message system in Challonge.

Great, that's what I expected the answer to be.

So, is now a good time to address the notion of discussing prior "tournament games" with other tournament players? I noticed it wasn't addressed in the rules.

Personally, I find it courtesy not to give other players an advantage by doing so, and would happily abide by an honor system that encouraged a moratorium on game reports or deck posting (related to the tournament, at least) until after the tournament concluded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Kaffis wrote:

Great, that's what I expected the answer to be.

So, is now a good time to address the notion of discussing prior "tournament games" with other tournament players? I noticed it wasn't addressed in the rules.

Personally, I find it courtesy not to give other players an advantage by doing so, and would happily abide by an honor system that encouraged a moratorium on game reports or deck posting (related to the tournament, at least) until after the tournament concluded.

Jeff should weigh in, but I agree.

"Don't talk about fight club" is a good rule for the duration of the event, through the finals (since the Swiss tournament is actually only to determine a Winners Circle for quarter/semi/finals (4 or 8 depending on the size of the roster who sing up over the next week).

The only information you'll have (which you would have when sitting down against the opponent in a live situation) is what their identity is and what their current win record is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:

Good thought. I'll add something to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially said "Yes" to an OCTGN tournament as soon as I could.
I then go out to the games club to play lots of NR, get back and find 16 people have already registered

So, have I missed out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I initially said "Yes" to an OCTGN tournament as soon as I could.
I then go out to the games club to play lots of NR, get back and find 16 people have already registered

So, have I missed out?

Nope. At this time we're not limiting signups. The list at the top is a point in time snapshot. Sign up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How should Concessions be handled during the Tournament?
How should Concessions be handled during Tournament Games?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Concessions are not permitted, all games must be played to completion.
26.3% 10
Concessions should be allowed
73.7% 28
Voters 38
If Concessions are permitted, how should the score be recorded?

(This matters most for tiebreak purposes if we have to get down to a 'strength of schedule' tiebreaker.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All Agenda earned prior to the concession are recorded as game points for the Conceding Player
65.6% 21
All Agenda earned prior to the concession are forfeited by the Conceding Player
34.4% 11
Voters 32
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by byronczimmer
Closes: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 am

Note: Poll is for information purposes and does not imply a 'majority rules' or democratic process.

(Poll will close prior to the Brackets being announced.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice Communication
Something I'd like to mention:

Voice communication makes the game much faster and enjoyable. Please see this thread where I provide information on how to connect to my mumble server which is set up for this purpose: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=545

You are all welcome to use my server for your matches during the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excited to play. Going to dust off the old Windows desktop to learn OCTGN tonight. Already have all my decks in cardgamedb so porting over is no issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyarlathotep
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the name I use on OCTGN is different than my BGG username...do I need to make a new OCTGN account/name for the tourney, or just play under my OCTGN name? azazoth13 is my OCTGN account, nyarlathotep is my BGG name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your BGG name is only important for setting up a game with your opponent. As long as you can send them a PM, you can tell them what your username in OCTGN is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add this to the rules. Be able to talk to your opponent makes the games a lot more fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Something I'd like to mention:

Voice communication makes the game much faster and enjoyable. Please see this thread where I provide information on how to connect to my mumble server which is set up for this purpose: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=545

You are all welcome to use my server for your matches during the tournament.

DB0: can you pre-create some number of 'Tournament Rooms' on the Mumble Server for the duration of the event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't make this mandatory. For some games I would love to use this, but for others the timing may make it so I need to be quiet during the match. Where we may have some late/early games with time zone differences it would make scheduling even tougher if we have to have a time when both players can also be able to talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Please don't make this mandatory. For some games I would love to use this, but for others the timing may make it so I need to be quiet during the match. Where we may have some late/early games with time zone differences it would make scheduling even tougher if we have to have a time when both players can also be able to talk.

Absolutely. Not mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:

Even if you can wear headphones and hear, typing back the responses, that is still more expeditious than 100% text chat.

I've done that (both directions) when one person had to keep quiet for whatever reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
DB0: can you pre-create some number of 'Tournament Rooms' on the Mumble Server for the duration of the event?

Sure. It's not needed though as anyone can create temporary rooms on-the-fly.

I agree that this isn't mandatory, but even if just one side can speak, it speeds things up considerably. For training sessions though, it's invaluable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any of the 30+ participants any good at microbadge creation?

Looking for someone to make a microbadge for this event (and will be speaking to the admins about how to get it 'awarded' or only purchasable by specific people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up too!

How will we be informed that tournament starts?
Do i have to watch this thread or can you mail all players via challonge somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IamSalvation wrote:
Signed up too!

How will we be informed that tournament starts?
Do i have to watch this thread or can you mail all players via challonge somehow?

Challonge.com should send you out an email when your match pairing is available. Officially, the tournament will start on October 1st @ 16:00 GMT.

We may close and post the pairings earlier. Depending on signups. We're going to cap registrations at 64, so if we hit that, we'll lock it down and post the pairings.

We'll post something on BGG about the tournament starting as well. It'll be tough to miss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Logistics, I'd like to suggest a number of standards here so that we can all have games that are without incident. I realize this is to have fun, but this is by far the largest list of people I've seen playing on OCTGN, and a number of rules and regs should be followed so that everything goes smoothly (And so that more of these can be run in the future), I'd like to suggest some of them as follows.

1 - Make a new sever placeholder card for each remote server you create as a corp player. This allows for runs to be made on a server, not on a card.

2 - The automations are there, use them. If things screw up, then you can start manually fiddling with things, but DB has done wonders with the scripting and it should be easy to get everything to function properly. The only exception to the manual bit manipulation would be the installation of multiple ICE on a server, as I don't believe DB has done anything to auto track that expenditure.

3 - No observers, with the exception of possibly the final matches.

4 - No returns, quite simply if you miss a trigger let it go, play it off, whatever. Don't even ask to rez a pad campaign after you've started your turn, you only put your opponent in the position of being either a pushover(if they let you) or an arse (if they don't).

5 - End your turns, either make it a point of ending a turn by using F12 or ending a turn through clicking on one of the play buttons (Whatever you decide on on this, I would suggest making it fairly universal).

Correction, I suppose I should say when is your turn officially over; does the finishing player have to use the green arrow, or is F12 sufficient?

6 - Concessions, I would suggest that concessions are handled the same way as Flatline and Decking losses for Runner and Corp respectively. Treat them as though the runner had to discard n+1 cards where n is the number of cards in hand or the corp had to draw m+1 cards from their deck of m cards. That way the loser still retains all agenda points earned in this fashion towards total amounts.

7 - Do everything ICE by ICE, if you have 3 barriers out and I see that
it will cost me 6 to break everything, still go ICE by ICE. Makes everything easier to track.

As far as voice chat, I'm against making it mandatory.

Typing this up at 3 AM, I will prolly come back to this at some point tomorrow and see 14 things that either need elaborated on or the like, so I ask for a touch of patience, but I wanted to get these out whilst thinking of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.