Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Flood
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all players who controlled the Persians at any point in the game get VPs for all Location tiles won by the Persians, or does each player get only those VPs for the battles the Persians won while he was in control of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the latter. ISTR the rules tell you to do something to note which players were controlling the Persians for a given battle tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules say to set the Location Tiles aside with players' Leader Tiles on them, but the wording leaves the answer to my question unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess you could interpret it two ways, but it would be really strange to be able to claim credit for all Persian points ever scored, because there could be a (rather strange) incentive to try to win control of no cities.

I also guess that if all that matters is whether or not a player has ever been cityless, the designer might've stated a more direct method for keeping track of that.

Also, the paragraph calls it "unlikely" that more than one player would be without a city, in advance of the explanation of what to do about that situation. But over the course of the whole game it wouldn't be unlikely at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, we had two players not control cities twice in last night's game, and one of these players was the same person across two rounds. If everyone gets points, as I interpreted the rule, then these three players all get 9 points. If not, then the player who got the Persians twice would have gotten 9 while the other two would have gotten 4 and 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
That does strike me as a little odd. I think I played with max players and that didn't happen. (Of course nobody was trying to get the Persians, not sure if your group was using that as a strategy)

I think the intent was that a player who doesn't win a city should still have something to do, so he gets to send the Persian military, but he is still on the whole punished for not winning a city, because he won't have a VPs from a monument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as you note, the rules say it's unlikely. I was the one who did it twice, and it was a semi-intentional attempt to max out the "dudes on the map" scoring by avoiding the elections. I came in third but with your interpretation I would have come in second and only three points from winning outright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McFadden
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played last night and our interpretation of the rules seems to make sense. The rules read:

"In the unlikely case that two or more players end up without city leaders then these players share the commitment of the forces, using all of the tiles they own between them. If the Persians take any Location tiles then they should be placed near the Persian shield with leader counters belonging to each of the controlling players on them"

It seems intuitively obvious that the reason the location tile is placed next to the shield (and not in front of you) was primarily when there is more than 1 person ruling the Persians on that turn so that at the end of the game, those people would also each get the value of every military victory the Persians shared while sharing control of that army. In that way, those leaders are not fighting for control over their Persian army but working together to ensure the get maximum VP from their combined army.

Further then, if there is only one person controlling the Persians that turn then I don't believe there is a need to place the tile by the shiwld with your token on it ... just take the location tile and place it in front of themselves, as per regular leaders.

So in summary, you only get VP for Persian victories for when you participated in the battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.