Hide
11 Posts

Uncharted: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a reason this game takes so long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom K
msg tools
By which I mean this game takes us about two hours, when the box says 45 minutes.

It starts at a brisk pace, but then people start getting light seaplanes, and it looks like this:

"Tapping two light seaplanes, I now have four moves. My character ability trips, I now have five moves. Discarding two greens, I now have seven moves. Search. Search. Five moves. Fight the enemy. Four moves left. Weapon ability trips, I draw an action card in addition to a special action card. Oh good, I can kill this enemy, too. Three moves left. I draw an action card in addition to a special action card..."

Having three moves like this per round is devastating, especially for that one guy who keeps drawing blue cards instead of greens or reds.

I really enjoy the game, but it bogs itself down. Are we maybe doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't untap any cards until everyone PASSES for the round, correct?

Killing two enemies per round is pretty powerful. How frequently does that happen? That typically only happens for me when I replace the tapped weapons that I used to kill the first enemy, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you untapping every turn? You do know, unless there's a phurba or that other card I don't recall, you may only use each card once per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Wait, do you only untap if everyone PASSES, or just if everyone's taken their turn?

Like, say I go first, tap 3 cards, and have 3 left untapped in my tableau.

Everyone else takes their turn, the enemy attacks for 2 damage, I tap 2 cards and leave myself with one untapped. After the enemy attacks, we all untap everything, right?

Or does everyone have to actually PASS? Like, I choose to skip my turn, player 2 chooses to skip their turn, player 3 chooses to skip their turn, and player 4 chooses to skip their turn. Then the enemy attacks, we block, and untap everything.

Because that sounds extremely weird to me. It's a very weird game otherwise though, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. You figured it out. You get two actions a turn, and turns continue and nothing untaps until everyone has passed and everyone has been attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
So the enemy only attacks after everyone passes, right?

It still seems like it would last just as long, though. Like, I could still do all those actions, I would just have to wait for everyone else to pass afterwards. Although I guess it would minimize the utility of those light seaplanes.

Maybe it's one of those things that isn't really clear until you play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
catstronaut wrote:
So the enemy only attacks after everyone passes, right?

Correct.

I do like having extra actions so that I accelerate to be able to PASS early so i can have the free card draw / free search token, but I've never bothered building a Sea Plane in all my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How long do normal games of Uncharted take after a few plays to get it down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
How long do normal games of Uncharted take after a few plays to get it down?

45-something. Our very first game took about an hours and 15 minutes, but that was with a skilled explainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I've played clocked in under an hour. Here are some rules we didn't do correctly our first play.

A player takes 2 actions, then the next player takes 2 actions... till everybody has passed (this brings in a press your luck element, get more stuff and victory points and take some damage or do less things and take no damage.) First Last person to pass get start player dagger. You don't untap your cards till the start of the next turn.

When you pass you get to draw a card or place a search token unless your the last to pass (this is an catch up mechanic as the person doing more things a turn usually has the better setup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
fsnam wrote:
First person to pass get start player dagger.

Incorrect. Last person playing in the round gets the start player dagger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.