Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I am starting this thread, following a practice we have in the ASL community.
We have a rules guru among the producer's team whose name is Perry Cocke.
He answers rules questions, and the players post them in a "Perry Sez" thread, so that everyone has access to "official" answers even before the FAQ/Errata are published.
As I noticed some answers of Adam Sadler and Justin Kemppainen, who seem to be the rules guru of FFG for Descent 2, I propose that this thread serves an analoguous purpose as the "Perry Sez".

Important note : this thread is not to debate about the answers
If you have further questions or remarks, please take them to another thread.
Thanks in advance for your understanding.

So everyone who has knowledge of an answer given by FFG to a rules question about Descent can simply post it here.
I would recommend one rules question per post.

GOOD NEWS : Sam Blomberg has organized the answers of this thread in an online Wiki on BGG.
You now can search topics much more easily.
LINK : http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Descent_Second_Edition_Un...

Enjoy

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Adam Sez" thread - potentially official (not yet FAQ) answers to rules questions.
KO Hero between encounters and fatigue recovering

Between encounters, any knocked out hero may stand up for free.
In addition, heroes that stand up also recover all fatigue as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Adam Sez" thread - potentially official (not yet FAQ) answers to rules questions.
Stealthy ability and Melee attacks

The stealthy ability requires melee attacks to roll at least 3 range to hit.
Melee attacks usually require 0 range (even with Reach), so 3 is all the range the attack would need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending Surges

Can you spend surges on a ranged "miss" to recover fatigue or activate other abilities?

Adam wrote:
If this is referring to not rolling enough range, then yes you can spend the surge.

Can you spend surges on a melee "miss" (fewer hearts than shields) to recover fatigue or activate other abilities?

Adam wrote:
Yes, can spend the surges if you do not deal damage on the attack. Not dealing damage is not considered a miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shield Slam

If an ability allows you to inflict a condition on a figure that is not the target of the attack (Shield Slam), are you still required to inflict at least one damage on the target figure in order for the condition to apply to the other figure?

Adam wrote:
Shield slam does not require you to deal damage to the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
msg tools
mbmbmb
Aurim and Power Potions

How do Power Potions work with Aurim?

Adam wrote:
Aurim gains no additional benefits for using a power potion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When, exactly, is a "move action" considered to end?

A move action ends when the hero spends his last movement point granted to him through his Speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the movement of a large monster is interrupted (e.g: with caltrops) and there is no space to "expand" it, how do you proceed?

You cannot interrupt large monster movement in a space in which it cannot expand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you spend the additional attack granted by "Frenzy" on a monster action that provokes an attack (assuming action limits are respected)? E.g: can an elemental do (Fire, Fire) with frenzy?

No, Frenzy grants a normal attack action and not a monster action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When can we play Dash or Frenzy?
When we first activate the monster before we take actions? Or at any time while we are still activating said monster?

Those Overlord cards may be played at any point during a monster's activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the heroes buy Act II item cards after the interlude, or must they wait until after the first Act II quest?

Heroes may not purchase Act II items until after the first Act II quest is completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Byström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Q: If the item search deck is depleted, do we simply reshuffle the discarded item cards to draw from? Such as discarded cards from appraise and any resolved "nothing" or "treasure chest" cards?

A: The Search deck is reshuffled at the end of every quest. It is not reshuffled during a quest.

From http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/870223/when-the-search-deck-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: I have a question about the crossbow and large monsters:

How does the 1 space movement work for large monsters? Does the hero get to shrink the monster to 1 space, move it 1 space, and then expand it in any direction the hero chooses?

A: Yes, the attacking hero chooses how the large monster moves. The large monster does indeed shrink and expand following normal monster movement. The monster shrinks from the targeted space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full post is on the FFG forum. I'm just copying key parts.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Large Monster Movement

Adam Sadler, Managing Game Designer, wrote:
When moving with a large monster, you always choose 1 space it occupies to count movement. If you interrupt movement to attack, you choose any space it occupies to continue movement. This could result in additional spaces moved during the movement.

Shadow Ability

Adam wrote:
2 shadow abilities do not stack. A hero adjacent to 2 shadow dragons only needs to spend 1 surge to hit.

I started to edit the English on the next question, but decided to leave it as is. I think the gist is that if you don't spend the surge, it's the same as rolling an "X". [I find the use of the word "miss" here confusing, given earlier responses.]

Adam wrote:
Varikas wrote:
Q: If a knight with Shield Slam atack a shadow dragon and get only one surge…can he spend the surge to stun the dragon or if he do that the atack miss? I think the correct answer is the 2º, he cant spend surges if the atack miss but I want to confirm it. (maybe miss the atack only means that it dont make damage…but I think it cant spend surge…like if a X was rolled…)

A: You are correct, the Knight could not spend the surge because the attack would be considered a miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading Items

Can you trade with a hero token that represents either a knocked out or "hidden" hero?
Adam wrote:
No, a hero cannot trade with a hero token.

Hidden Hero

KO'd heroes can only be targeted for healing. Can a hidden hero's token be targeted with healing or other abilities?
Adam wrote:
No, unless otherwise specified a hero token cannot be targeted with healing unless that hero token represents a knocked out hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero vs Hero figure

Adam wrote:
There is no difference between the term "hero" and "hero figure" in the quest rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exar Kun
France
flag msg tools
Q : I have a question about One Fist, from Descent's Conversion Kit. It says One Fist can make a free Melee attack, no real problem with that.
But does he count as "armed with a Melee weapon" for the purpose of all the skills that let a character "perform an attack with a melee weapon" (like Charge, Death Rage, Guard, etc...) or for skills that trigger when you have "2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each" (like Weapon Mastery) ?

A : No, One Fist's free attack is not considered to be a melee weapon. He must still have a melee weapon equipped to trigger abilities requiring a melee weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q : In The Monster's Hoard quest, encounter 1, the reinforcement rule says that the Overlord may not place a monster that does not fit on the Entrance.
Is that restriction only about the moster's size (i.e. as explained in the Monsters paragraph: a six-space large monster cannot be used) or does it extend to the situation where the Entrance is occupied by another monster (e.g. a Merriod) which would lead one to place the reinforcement monster in the nearest possible space?

A : This restriction simply limits the use of the six-space large monsters. For example, if a hero decided to stay on the Entrance tile, the overlord could still place his reinforcement monster in the nearest empty space.

Thanks,
Adam Sadler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ruin
Ruin in the Frozen Spire Scenario

Q: 1. Can Ruin attack in the Frozen Spire scenario?
2. Can Ruin be immobilized by a Hero?

A: 1. Yes, Ruin can attack.
2. Yes, Ruin can be immobilized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghost Armor

Ispher wrote:
Can the Runemaster skill "Ghost Armor" be used only once per attack or multiple times per attack?

Adam wrote:
Ghost Armor can be used as many times as the Runemaster wishes, as long as he can suffer the fatigue in order to trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning condition (introduced in Lair of the Worm extension)

Q :
I just have a rules question about the "Burning" condition.
Does the damage apply at the end of the turn, even if the condition is eliminated previously?

A :
If the Burning condition is discarded before the end of that figure's turn, he does not suffer the damage. Since he does not have the card anymore, there is no longer an effect that triggers at the end of his turn.

Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Varikas wrote:
I have new answers from Adam…here we go:

Q: Vampiric Blood, you recover 1 fatiga for each monster you kill?

A: The necromancer recovers 1 fatigue for each monster defeated. If he defeats 2 monsters in one attack, he would recover 2 fatigue.

Q: Maestry ability that give you surges, use before or after dice rolled?

A: Weapon Mastery may be used after the dice are rolled.

Q: Aura ability. Shadow don't stack, command don't stack…what about aura?

A: Aura is cumulative. Shadow and command are not.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Wyrm Turns, Encounter 1

Q: Belthir can perform 1 move action and another action that isn't a move. Can Belthir spend this second action to do his special action "Cry Havoc" to gain more distance?

A: Belthir cannot both move and Cry Havoc in the same activation. The rule for him not being able to move twice is, as I understand it, mechanically to keep him being able to zip out the exit, thematically justified by his weakened state.

Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10878016#10878016

Now also from FFG rules query:
No, Belthir cannot use Cry Havoc in the same turn he performs a move action during The Wyrm Turns because it allows him to perform a second move action. However, he may use Cry Havoc if he doesn't perform another move action during his turn. I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Updated with reply from Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Conditions vs Jain Fairwoods ability

Q: If Jain uses her ability and converts all damage received to fatigue, does she still receive a condition that requires her to take 1 [heart]?

A: "Both Dark Pact and Jain Fairwood's heroic ability are applied when damage is dealt, which combat rules is the last phase of any given attack. The application of conditions occurs in the "spend surges" section. So, prior to any damage being dealt, assuming everything applies in regards to damage > defense, the effect of the condition will be applied during the Spend Surges phase, before the Deal Damage phase of the attack.

Even if you could make an argument towards the Condition applying during the Deal Damage phase of the attack, any kind of timing conflicts *always* rule in favor of the active player, which in this case is the overlord. Since the overlord fulfills the requirements to inflict the condition (hearts > defense, surge: condition), he applies the condition to the player, and THEN the player may choose to redirect damage in whatever fashion he or she is able to."

Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10907076#10907076
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runemaster under Dark Charm - Surge and fatigue usage

Say the Runemaster is affected by Dark Charm and makes an attack, and the dice rolled displays a surge.
May the runemaster use the surge for applying "Runic Knowledge", thus suffering himself +1 fatigue?

When using Dark Charm, the overlord performs the attack as if the hero was one of his monsters. This means that the overlord chooses how the surges are spent during the attack. However, since the overlord cannot force the hero to suffer fatigue, this is intended to prevent the overlord from using the hero's class skills. This includes Runic Knowledge. The overlord cannot use Runic Knowledge when using Dark Charm on the Runemaster.

Thanks,
Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.