Subject: GCL Brass Tournament Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Tom, just hijacked this week's Phoenix list. I'm hopeful something can come out of this.

Part of my trouble, I'm sure, is that I'm trying to learn too many games at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=34702
password ship

North American sharks (or at least carnivorous fish), please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty, but not with this username and not in a few years. It remains to be seen whether I can be competitive with the 'sharks', so I thought it would be a good challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
are we breaking up into levels and regions now then? My rating is above Benny's and I don't know if Chester has played all that much. I can believe Dave is a dark horse. But with turn based games with more than 24 hours between moves what was the reason for the US only limit?

We have a first-time-online player in this game and I wanted it to move more quickly without dinging players for the occasional life interrupt or challenging decision.

I've had games with North Americans where we were managing 3 or 4 moves each a day; that's a bit much to hope for, but it stands as my ideal.

You can't replicate that with a 6-hour move clock because people do need to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello GCL'ers!

Welcome (back) to the GCL Online Brass league!! This league was initiated in September 2012 and revived October 2014.

Here is where you will find new league games listed as well as discussion about the games.

The games will be played among members of the various GCL divisions on the Brass Online web implementation found here:
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/index.php

I've consolidated the guidelines from earlier in this thread below for ease of reading:

It is suggested that you set up your user name as: GCL + BGG UserName like this:
Morganza wrote:
The way this works is that everyone sets up an alternate login on the Brass game site, for example, I set up a new Brass player account for GCL-Morganza

If you already have an online Brass account, consider creating a second one to calculate your rating for this GCL league:
tjshields wrote:
What about the idea of a brass sign in for each of us in the GCL on the Brass site? We can play games against the other GCL members and let the site calculate the rating. Any Brass gaming against non-GCL could continue under anyone's "broader" Brass on-line account.

Any GCL member can start a new game. Make sure you create the game as a PRIVATE game, then post the link to the game along with the password in this thread. Like this:
Morganza wrote:
... and I started a new game:
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=31848
Password: tutu
Other GCL'ers will follow the link to join up.
Subscribe to this thread to be notified of new games and discussion.

Have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get started!!!

http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=45985
password: gclbrass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who is cornjob?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
who is cornjob?

Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GCL...Eclipse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn it John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
who is cornjob?

Sorry, couldn't remember the login for me GCL login, so I just used my regular one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome! glad you're playing! And.... is that a sleestak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
welcome! glad you're playing! And.... is that a sleestak?
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing's ever simple.
badge
Nothing's ever simple.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another to join.

http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=46025
password: gclbrass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaannnndddddd another:
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=46160
gclbrass

we need much more trash talking this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing's ever simple.
badge
Nothing's ever simple.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
Aaaaannnndddddd another:
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/lobby.php?GameID=46160
gclbrass

we need much more trash talking this time.

Yay! Maybe this one will make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too slow Anyone else waiting for a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
I'd be up for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
GCL Game3, perhaps? (Password gclbrass. Not including the period.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Joined. Now I need to remember how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shields
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok - newbie mentoring time!!!!

here is the gameboard in the Canal Age. i'm purple. my cards are all coal mines and ironworks (save 2), but the demand track is already full for both of these goods. it didn't seem to make sense to build those industries. chester already had 2 unflipped ports, so that didn't seem to make sense either.

should i have built coal and iron anyway, and just waited to flip in Rail Age? or double action build something more attractive? double action build just seems so expensive....

any other comments on my approach this game are welcome. everyone give me good advice so i can beat martin, robin, and chester next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing's ever simple.
badge
Nothing's ever simple.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
ok - newbie mentoring time!!!!

here is the gameboard in the Canal Age. i'm purple. my cards are all coal mines and ironworks (save 2), but the demand track is already full for both of these goods. it didn't seem to make sense to build those industries. chester already had 2 unflipped ports, so that didn't seem to make sense either.

should i have built coal and iron anyway, and just waited to flip in Rail Age? or double action build something more attractive? double action build just seems so expensive....

any other comments on my approach this game are welcome. everyone give me good advice so i can beat martin, robin, and chester next game.

You were in a tight spot here already. The board is tough (but not impossible) for 2 port players to do well on, and when only one person is doing cotton mills, the board benefits that player. Green was clearly cutting in on coal/iron, which was your initial push, which made things even more difficult for you.

On the turn you have showing, I think you made the right call on what you did - develop cotton mills. Iron was cheap, and while I was developed to 3 on cotton mills and starting to break them in, the availability of ports and the lack of cotton mills actually on the board favored getting Level 3 cotton mills out. I can't tell how much money you had at the time, but even getting a single mill out with a double-action build and flipping it would be worth 18 points (9 in canal, 9 in rail). Not great, but with no coal or iron demand, you're in a tight spot.

I've played quite a bit, but I've been getting worse over time, so no promises that I'm actually right here. (On that note, I rarely if ever favor developing coal or iron right off the bat, but there are plenty who disagree with me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Robin!! so i only HALFWAY did the right thing. i developed cotton mills, but then i didn't build any.

thanks also for your thoughts on developing iron/coal. it just seems like such a waste to place a 1 level industry since it disappears after canal age. however, i suppose you at least get the canal points, and income, which is better than nothing.

i was at a loss for the whole canal age. even before this screenshot, i was in a similar predicament. it seems like whoever played directly before me did whatever i had hoped to do. that tells me that i need to manage turn order better so i'm not always getting beat in making good moves.

my cards were better in the rail age, but i was already so crippled, and a new player, that i just couldn't see my way out. it also didn't help that i screwed up TWO of my rail builds. ahghgghghghghgh.

final question, what is your achilles heel in brass, so i can exploit it next game????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.