Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have anyone ever tried to play CMC with the favors, but without the 6 powers? So a favor would either grant you a resource card or a point. I enjoy the idea of a new way of getting points, but I somehow get the feeling that these new powers would just clutter up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
grjsk wrote:
Have anyone ever tried to play CMC with the favors, but without the 6 powers? So a favor would either grant you a resource card or a point. I enjoy the idea of a new way of getting points, but I somehow get the feeling that these new powers would just clutter up the game.

Actually, they don't. They give you interesting new avenues to explore without detracting from the game's core feel of jointly constructing a road. With those favours in effect the provost is for example actually capable of blocking the road: in the base game it is really expensive to do so, and nobody has the funds nor the desire to push him back continuously. (The game also fights you here by moving him two positions towards the end of the road.) Withdrawing a worker for cash is quite effective in putting the rest to good use. If you fancy a money-heavy strategy you can still use the prestige point track so you're not limited to bagging fleur-de-lyses. And so forth. Even better is that you can only use a subset of favours, and that you can change your mind about them throughout the game.

I was rather pleasantly surprised in how these simple things added to and improved the base game: it removed some of its grating and constricting feel I was unaware it had, especially at the higher end of the player scale. I wouldn't simply ignore them out of fear for 'clutter', in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:

I have had the same thought. Especially since I choose not to play with the provost anyway. Reducing the reward for castle building seems like a good thing, and having a hand of resource cards would allow players to be more cagey about what prestige buildings they were going for.

I can't think of a technical reason that you couldn't use the favors without the abilities. Whether it's better or worse that way would be subjective, of course.

EDIT: I understand that the special abilities add all kinds of decisions. If you prefer complexity in games, I would definitely say try them. If you prefer simpler games (like I do), probably not. I wish none of the rules dealt with the provost, so I could try with the special abilities but still without the provost in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:

I suppose it would work (I cannot really see why not), but it hasn't been tested that way.
I don't have the feeling that the favors add much complexity to the game - but of course, I wouldn't recommend playing with the expansion with players unfamiliar with the base game.

peakhope wrote:
I wish none of the rules dealt with the provost, so I could try with the special abilities but still without the provost in play.

Only one of the favors deals with the provost, so maybe you can just ignore it and use the other 5?
Of course, it may be a small problem that the missing favor is on the first level. I suppose it could be replaced with a new one - we just need to find an interesting and balanced idea. Something about discarding a building card from your hand to gain something, maybe 2 deniers? (of course, this is a wholly untested suggestion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wlam wrote:
Only one of the favors deals with the provost, so maybe you can just ignore it and use the other 5?
Of course, it may be a small problem that the missing favor is on the first level. I suppose it could be replaced with a new one - we just need to find an interesting and balanced idea. Something about discarding a building card from your hand to gain something, maybe 2 deniers? (of course, this is a wholly untested suggestion)

Nice idea. I was thinking of ways to bypass the provost-related ability and use the rest. But I'm happy with the complexity level of CMC, so I'm in no hurry to add more thinking into the mix. The resource cards are the most appealing aspect of the expansion for me. (Aside from the 5th player, which made the expansion worth the money just for that alone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of good feedback here; thanks guys.
wlam wrote:
grjsk wrote:

I suppose it would work (I cannot really see why not), but it hasn't been tested that way.
I don't have the feeling that the favors add much complexity to the game - but of course, I wouldn't recommend playing with the expansion with players unfamiliar with the base game.

peakhope wrote:
I wish none of the rules dealt with the provost, so I could try with the special abilities but still without the provost in play.

I find it hard not to feel bad when the man himself drops into you're thread where you label added mechanics as "clutter". But in reality it's really meant as a compliment; the base game is just such a elegant game. The extra features in the expansion might create more interesting decisions, but at the cost of losing that elegance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
(Aside from the 5th player, which made the expansion worth the money just for that alone).

Yeah, the extra playing pieces was actually the main reason why I bought the expansion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grjsk wrote:
I find it hard not to feel bad when the man himself drops into you're thread where you label added mechanics as "clutter". But in reality it's really meant as a compliment; the base game is just such a elegant game. The extra features in the expansion might create more interesting decisions, but at the cost of losing that elegance.

No need to feel bad - your first message expressed a legimitate concern in a nice way.

Everyone has different opinions about what expansions should bring to a game. Some people prefer that they don't add (much) to the complexity of the game, some would rather like more options and more decisions, some mainly care for the extra player.

When we (Ystari and I) made this expansion, we wanted to add some extra options although we knew it would make the game "heavier". I am actually surprised that the 5th player seems to have attracted so many people to this expansion (since I already prefer CMC with 3 players rather than 4).

This thread reminds me that I haven't played CMC (with or without expansion) for a long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.