Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Manneken Pis came out, there was only one other wonder this less than 3 stages, so you always get something for building the third stage of MP on side A.

Now with the addition of Rome, Catan, Petra and Byzantium/Constantinople, there is a greater chance that both adjacent opponents to the MP player could have no adjacent player with a third stage they can copy.

Is there an official ruling for this?

My two ideas are:
- If neither adjacent player has a 3rd stage, beuilding this stage will award 7VP.
- If an adjacent player does not have the appropriate stage, skip that player and copy the the appropriate stage next player in that particular direction--skipping any players without a second/third stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is wrong with not building the 3rd stage if it isn't useful? You don't always have to finish your wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
The other Wonders get by just fine with only two stages, and so can MP if it happens to be between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you could interpret the final stage as copying the final stage of a neighbor, rather than the 3rd stage. Too good? I don't know - we don't like or use this wonder much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be honest, I can't see the problem!

If a wonder has only 2 stages, they are generally powerful and expensive.
As Manneken Pis you can build them at great discount ( 2 resources instead of 4 or 5). So, there is nothink to complain!

My conclusioni is, that it may be even better to sit between 2-stage wonders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I interpret it is that for example the Colossos/Rhodos only has a second and a third stage, the same goes for Petra and Byzanthium (the stages aren't starting from the 'first stage bar' on the wondercard. The question remains what to do with a 'copy a wonder stage' and no wonder stage is there to be copied... Just bad luck!

For me the 2-steps are 2nd and 3rd stage for the Manneken Pis copy ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:

That's a fine house rule, but rulebook clearly label them as 1st and 2nd, so that's propably official clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Menghini wrote:

That's a fine house rule, but rulebook clearly label them as 1st and 2nd, so that's propably official clarification!

I don't know if it's a house rule. You are right about the rulebook saying it's the first and second stage, but when you start counting, you never start with 2, do you?

The reason why I think it's meant as a second and third stage is because of the location of the brown bars indicating the wonder stages: they are on the 2nd and 3rd place of the wonder card (in comparison with 3-step wonders). But maybe I'm wrong and I'm seeing details I should not be seeing...? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
Reid666 wrote:
Menghini wrote:

I don't know if it's a house rule. You are right about the rulebook saying it's the first and second stage, but when you start counting, you never start with 2, do you?

The reason why I think it's meant as a second and third stage is because of the location of the brown bars indicating the wonder stages: they are on the 2nd and 3rd place of the wonder card (in comparison with 3-step wonders). But maybe I'm wrong and I'm seeing details I should not be seeing...? What do you think?
Look at the pyramid images on the wonder spots. Regardless of the number of stages, they always go 1 layer, 2 layers, etc. Manneken Pis B even hast just a solid pyramid. If they wanted to start with 2 and then 3, it seems they would have made the images 2 layers and then 3 layers allowing them to reuse the same image, but they went out of their way to make new images with fewer/more layers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:

The problem is that there is a big inconsistency in placement of stages on 2-stage boards:

Rhodos - they are to the right (like 2nd & 3rd)
Catan - they are to the left (like 1st & 2nd)
Roma, Petra, Byzantium, Cupertino - in the middle (like... we can guess its new formating style)

So I think it's better to go by the shortest and most intuitive interpretation of the rules! So 2 stage wonders have first and second stage.

And yes, I agree that placement of wonder slots on Rhodes is confusing.I think it's because it was first 2 stage wonder. New 2 stage wonders have wonder slots in the middle. It's safe to assume that future ones will follow this pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Tutundjian
France
Bouguenais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Jacek above but I still have one 'problem'.

It is with Byzantium: don't you think that the final stage is a little bit to powerful / inexpensive for the owner of the Manneken Pis?

I mean, 14 points for only two ressources??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we ever gotten a final official answer on this?

My problem with saying, well the original wonder only has two stages so this is fine, is that MP is copying only half of a 2-stage Wonder and so may not be as balanced as that 2-stage wonder is itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of Manneken Pis varies wildly depending on its neighbors anyway - some wonders have good first stage powers and weaker later stages, and the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think we will get better answer to this question when new, updated version of Manneken Pis get released as part of Wonder Pack. Hopefully with extensive rules explanation...

I always treated side A as a big gamble, if you got right neighbours you could get very expensive wonder stages a lot cheaper (Rhodos, Catan, Giza, Petra). Or you could get an incompatible mess...

Also there is small problem with Cities and Petra B, 14 points for 2 resources, that doesn't feel right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we ever get an answer for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Silverman
msg tools
I got an email from Antoine and he replied with,

The third Manneken Pis wonder step copies the "last step" of its neighbor so there is always a "last step" to copy !

So for example,

If you have Manneken Pis (A), your neighbour has Stonehenge (B) to the left of you and Roma (A) to the right of you, then you get the first stage of Stonehenge (B) (1 coin and 1 VP for stone symbols), the second stage of Roma (A) which is 6 VP and you get the "last step" of Stonehenge (B) which is where the player flips the card used to build this stage and then the player receives 1VP for each card of that colour present in both neighbouring cities

Hope that makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattyG123 wrote:
I got an email from Antoine and he replied with,

The third Manneken Pis wonder step copies the "last step" of its neighbor so there is always a "last step" to copy !

So for example,

If you have Manneken Pis (A), your neighbour has Stonehenge (B) to the left of you and Roma (A) to the right of you, then you get the first stage of Stonehenge (B) (1 coin and 1 VP for stone symbols), the second stage of Roma (A) which is 6 VP and you get the "last step" of Stonehenge (B) which is where the player flips the card used to build this stage and then the player receives 1VP for each card of that colour present in both neighbouring cities

Hope that makes sense

This is in response to Mannekin Pis from the wonder pack, not Mannekin Pis the promo. The promo copies a 3rd stage, which doesn't exist if you're between two 2 stage wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lambert
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last night with Manneken Pis and had someone with two stages on one side and 4 stages on the other side.

Rather than figure it out, I just used the 1-stage side of Mannekin Pis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.