$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gheos» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 104 Gheos: Civilization building in less than an hour. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

I could see what the game was trying to do, but to be honest I really didn't like this game. I think there is a decent game in the box somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. It was almost too abstract and simple for a civilization for my taste.

The tile laying aspect was decent, but I've seen it quite a few times by now. Each tile has some symbols that have different uses and you are moving some cubes around, but nothing really made me feel like I was building any civilizations.

With all the negative statements, I think this game could be a decent gateway game if you are just joining the hobby. For my taste, the game didn't add anything novel for me and it will be a purge at this point.

Components:

For the most part, you get some tiles, some cubes, and some scoring tokens. The scoring tokens are a little bland, but functional. The cubes are classic Euro cubes and work just fine. The tiles are a little thin and they are triangles. The art work on the tiles are functional and the icons are easy to master after just a few minutes.

Everything works, yet nothing stands out. The components are fine and the artwork works.

Rule book:

The rule book, once translated to English< is very clear and does a great job of explaining the rules. There are plenty of examples and all the pictures are in color. The rules on war and migration are pretty clear in the book, yet when playing the game they were a little hard to explain (and understand). Nothing complicated (like playing a war game), but this game will normally be played as a gateway game. The best way to explain this is to go through a couple of examples before playing for the first time.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is to place one of your two tiles (in your hand) on to the board. You can either place the tile on the board or replace a tile on the board. Replacing a tile can be a very important strategy as it can lead to a war or migration.

War is handled very easily. When a tile is replaced, if two civilizations merge, the civilization with more "swords" "conquers" the other (thus the other civilization is taken off the board).

Migration works like war except the civilization moves toward the new country with the most wheat.

Everything is very abstract in this way. There are no armies, citizens, or anything else you are used to in a civilization game.

Should I buy this game?:

I'm going to say no. If you really need a tile laying civilization game, then knock yourself out. Otherwise, there are better tile laying games and better civilization games. It does combine both in an abstract bow in a quick time, so it has that going for it.

Otherwise, I really didn't care for much for the game so I am going to purge it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack!

Such a great game....unfortunate you did not see it. Be sure when you purge this grail game you give it to a nice worthy geek here for a decent rate.

Glad to have my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan williams
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it is more than a civ building game, as it involves plate tectonics. Your civ can never be immune to a great rift breaking it asunder. I like this one mucho. Sorry it didn't trip your trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a "marketing" problem with Gheos is that people suppose it's a civilization game (since that's what it looks like), and then they get disillusioned because it's more of an interesting odd "stock share" game (e.g. Acquire, 18xx, etc). I agree if you want a "civilization building" game, there are better games for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:
Ack!

Such a great game....unfortunate you did not see it. Be sure when you purge this grail game you give it to a nice worthy geek here for a decent rate.

Glad to have my copy.

It is currently in my auction on the geek. Yours for the taking. I could see what the game was doing and thought it noble and okay, for some odd reason it didn't speak to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I think a "marketing" problem with Gheos is that people suppose it's a civilization game (since that's what it looks like), and then they get disillusioned because it's more of an interesting odd "stock share" game (e.g. Acquire, 18xx, etc). I agree if you want a "civilization building" game, there are better games for that.

It was alright, I just never felt in control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.