Subject: player order in the final scoring round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yasutaka Hirasawa
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
After the last hexagon is placed and the player completes his 10AP, there is a final scoring round...but who goes first in the scoring round? The same player who just played the last hexagon, or next clockwise player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules say:
Game end
After the last hexagon is placed and that player completes his
10 action points, there is a final scoring round. As with the
previous three scoring rounds, each player uses 10 action
points to explore Tikal and then scores his position

And if you check out the Rules for the Scoring Round they say:
scoring round
When a volcano hexagon is drawn, the game immediately
enters a scoring round. All scoring rounds run:
• The player who drew the volcano puts the hexagon aside
and uses 10 action points as in a normal turn.
• Afterwards, he scores his position.

So therefore the player who drew the last hexagon, after he spends 10 action points, he spends 10 additional points and then scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least i think thats how it goes. Please enlighten me if i am wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
It's flat, mate! :)
badge
Calavera!
mbmbmbmbmb
Makis mou wrote:

So therefore the player who drew the last hexagon, after he spends 10 action points, he spends 10 additional points and then scores.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

The scoring round is triggered by an imaginary volcano tile that is always at the bottom of the deck.

The player next to the one who placed the last tile should begin the scoring round as if he/she just drew a volcano tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be right. In another forum it says the same thing, although the Rules are not specific about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian is right. The same player does not get to take two turns in a row. It is the player sitting to the left of the player who triggered the game end who goes first in the final scoring round, then the others proceed in clockwise order with the game-end-triggering player going last.

However: The above is only true for the standard/basic rules. When your're playing the "pro/advanced" rules (which you should after a few plays, as it tilts the game a lot from a dominant luck factor to a way more serious strategic boardgame), the following applies for game end:

1. After the last tile has been placed, that player carries out his last (regular) move, just like in the basic rules version.

2. Now the final scoring round is done differently: players take their final scoring turn in the reverse order of the points they have accumulated so far.

- The player with the fewest points goes first.

- The player with the second fewest points goes second.

- The player with the most points (well, before the scoring round started, that is) goes last.

The purpose of this game ending procedure is to give the trailing player the first (= a better) chance of changing something dramatically in order to improve his score, while the leading player will usually find a pretty tough situation with lots of other meeples around lucrative temples when he commences his final scoring turn (and thus usually earn not as many points as the first player did).

Okay, one more detail (you were about to ask): in case several players' scores are tied before the final scoring round, the tied players go in a clockwise order, also starting with the player to the left of the one who triggered game end (so: same principle as in the basic rules, but only to settle ties!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
After a player placed the last tile on the board and spent his 10 action points the final scoring round starts. It begins with the player left of this player. He spends 10 AP and counts his score, then the next player to his left does the same and so on. The final scoring round ends with the actions and scoring of the player who placed the last tile. (not explicitly mentioned in the English rules by Rio Grande Games, but clear in the German rules by Rio Grande Games, page 10, "Das Spielende")

also see these threads about this question:
Who starts final round scoring in the basic game?
Who starts final scoring round in basic game?
and my answers to FAQs (including this question):
FAQ - Answers to frequently asked questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.