Kingdom Builder: Nomads» Forums » General

Subject: Kingdom Builder back of Cards problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piggy Lard
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a poor experience and I wonder if anyone had experienced it too.

It all began when I bought this about two weeks ago.
I found there is a little but irritating problem so I send an email to Queens Game.

to: f.thyben@queen-games.de, j.schuster@queen-games.de
date: Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hi Frank,

I bought both Kingdom builder and expension a week ago in a Hong Kong retailer. When I unbox it today and was following the rule to mix the new 5 objective cards with the old ones, I found the back of them are different , with one of them with the language logo on the back.
Although , as a gamer, I could use coloured sleves to solve it, but i do not think it is a good way /a proper way, . I wonder if you guys know about the problem , and if there is a better way to solve it.

Best Regards,
G. Wong.
--------------------------
date: Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hi G. Wong,

In this case use some sleeves.
We know about the problem and will fix it in the next print run.

Regards,

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The "problem" is not a problem. You only need 3 random goal cards as part of the setup. It is trivially easy to mix them in your hands without looking at the backs and deal 3 of them. The fact that the backs are distinguishable does not affect play of the game because you don't even see the backs during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The "problem" is not a problem. You only need 3 random goal cards as part of the setup. It is trivially easy to mix them in your hands without looking at the backs and deal 3 of them. The fact that the backs are distinguishable does not affect play of the game because you don't even see the backs during play.

That.

I also was annoyed by this at first, but the only time the backside is relevant is at the beginning of the game. Just don't look at them if you want to be surprised if the top card is a "new" one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piggy Lard
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is more of annoying rather than a problem.
However I really do not expect such an obvious mistake would happen in such a large scale worldwide production, and yet the publisher has no intent to solve this issue for those who spent on their product. I have to say, for a light-wighted boardgame, it is not a cheap one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, you get to decide what you are irritated and annoyed about.

But consider: if they'd been printed with the goals printed on both sides of the card, instead of with indistinguishable backs on one side, people probably wouldn't even be complaining but would be happy that if one side gets stained or scraped, they can still display the other clean side of a goal card... Now that I think about it, I think they'd be better that way! Indistinguishable backs are utterly useless during play.

Some might say the different backs on base and expansion cards is a feature, not a bug, as it lets you very quickly and easily segregate the "end of game" score cards from the "during play" score cards, so you can (e.g.) play with 2 random goals of one type and 1 random goal of the other type. I have actually done that, in fact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Some might say the different backs on base and expansion cards is a feature, not a bug, as it lets you very quickly and easily segregate the "end of game" score cards from the "during play" score cards, so you can (e.g.) play with 2 random goals of one type and 1 random goal of the other type. I have actually done that, in fact!

Agreed that it's a potential feature; it reminds me of the game SET, in which some of the card backs are deliberately printed in a lighter shade of color, so that a subset of the cards can be easily removed to create a simpler version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
Agreed that it's a potential feature; it reminds me of the game SET, in which some of the card backs are deliberately printed in a lighter shade of color, so that a subset of the cards can be easily removed to create a simpler version of the game.

Huh! Interesting, our deck isn't like that; it must vary from, um, set to set of Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you!
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's only the USA versions of this game or something but I also noticed this issue but then was able to fix it.

My copy of the core game came with a set of cards with no flag logo on the back (english text) and then a bunch of foreign language decks with flag logos on the back BUT one of them was the USA/UK flag (also english text obviously).

I had been using the 'no flag logo' cards but then when I got the Nomads expansion and saw that it only had the USA/UK flag ones in english text I just switched my core set ones to the matching USA/UK cards, of which I had luckily kept.

Most of you guys didn't have both the 'no flag logo' AND USA/UK flag english cards?

Also my Nomads expansion came with double the supposed included amount of red houses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue was discussed previously at the following thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/794175/well-thats-helpful-gr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.