Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day.

Yesterday three of us tried to play Glen More for the first time. Since it was our first attempt, we proceeded slowly and often went back and forth from the rulebook to verify we played things right. I believe we managed it and proceeded till the first scoring without problems. After that, chaos followed to the point where we abandoned the game for another time and played Dominion :-D A shame, because it looks really interesting.

The problem? The following phrase taken from the rulebook:

Quote:
As soon as the last “1” tile is placed on the board, the game comes to
a momentary halt for the first scoring. Afterward, the game resumes
with the player whose figure is farthest behind on the track taking a
turn.

Let me give you an example of what out board more or less looked like at the time we halted for the first scoring:

A = Player A
B = Player B
C = Player C
D = Dummy Player
0 = Tiles
X = Empty Space
# = Warehouse

0 X C A
0 # # 0
0 # # D
0 # # 0
0 0 0 B

At that time it was normally Player C's turn to play, being in the head of the chain. BUT we didn't do that. The "farthest behind" part of the rules baffled us and we thought Player B should play, being last in the chain (farthest behind) and, from then on, things soon escalated out of control. Today, and with a clear head, I tend to believe that the "farthest behind" player is simply the one in the head of the chain, i.e. Player C whose turn it is now and things proceed normally from here. Am I correct in my assumption or do I miss something?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:
Good day.

Yesterday three of us tried to play Glen More for the first time. Since it was our first attempt, we proceeded slowly and often went back and forth from the rulebook to verify we played things right. I believe we managed it and proceeded till the first scoring without problems. After that, chaos followed to the point where we abandoned the game for another time and played Dominion :-D A shame, because it looks really interesting.

The problem? The following phrase taken from the rulebook:

Quote:
As soon as the last “1” tile is placed on the board, the game comes to
a momentary halt for the first scoring. Afterward, the game resumes
with the player whose figure is farthest behind on the track taking a
turn.

Let me give you an example of what out board more or less looked like at the time we halted for the first scoring:

A = Player A
B = Player B
C = Player C
D = Dummy Player
0 = Tiles
X = Empty Space
# = Warehouse

0 X C A
0 # # 0
0 # # D
0 # # 0
0 0 0 B

At that time it was normally Player C's turn to play, being in the head of the chain. BUT we didn't do that. The "farthest behind" part of the rules baffled us and we thought Player B should play, being last in the chain (farthest behind) and, from then on, things soon escalated out of control. Today, and with a clear head, I tend to believe that the "farthest behind" player is simply the one in the head of the chain, i.e. Player C whose turn it is now and things proceed normally from here. Am I correct in my assumption or do I miss something?

Thank you.

You are correct with your assumption from today. It all depends on how you define the "head" of the chain, and "farthest behind". I always think of the chain as ending with the player next to the empty space. This is the "Tail" if you like. The "head" of the chain, to me, is player B, or perhaps the tile (0) next to the empty space (X). Hence player C is clearly farthest behind. I think you probably over-thought it on your first game and should have stuck with your instincts. But you've got it right now. Stick with it; It's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. C should have gone next, so your guts were correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many many thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:

A = Player A
B = Player B
C = Player C
D = Dummy Player
0 = Tiles
X = Empty Space
# = Warehouse

2 X C A
1 # # 1
1 # # D
1 # # 1
1 1 1 B

You've got your answer, but I wanted to explain why the wording in the rules is correct, and why "C" is at the back, and therefore the furthest behind.

Once you progress in the game and start getting into new levels of tiles, they appear like the above. 2s are level 2 tiles, the 1s are level 1 tiles. The 2 beside the X is the head of the chain, it's the tile furthest away from the players, and it's the newest tile on the board. The 1 tile below player A is the oldest tile on the board.

When player C takes his turn, you'll place a new 2 tile in the X, farthest away from the players. So anyone who wants to jump to get this new tile has to "leap ahead" to get it.

It just doesn't make much sense to reverse the thinking on this. Then you're falling backwards to get the newest tile to appear? It's much more difficult to think of things this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.