flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Registration is now CLOSED

Has it really been another year?

It has! Time to sign up for BGG's annual holiday tradition! The Secret Santa Exchange!

What is Secret Santa?

For those who don't know, every year we run a MASSIVE gift exchange here for the BGG Community. In 2011 we had nearly 2200 people participate, and I expect this year's to be even bigger!

All you need to do is click the link at the top of this post and then click Join. Replying to this thread does not sign you up for Secret Santa. You must join through the link provided above.

By joining the exchange, you are agreeing to buy a gift for another user and have it shipped in time for Christmas. Your total cost for the game(s) and shipping should be a minimum of $50 USD.

After Registration closes on November 9th, we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target. This means that you will be the Secret Santa for another BGG user, and you will also get a gift from a mystery Santa yourself!

Check out all the fun that was had last year in the BGG 2011 Secret Santa geeklist.

GeekExchange

Want to run your own special Secret Santa? The program we use to run the official BGG Secret Santa is available for anyone else to use to make your own Gift Exchanges. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekExchange for details! (That wiki page is a bit rough - please feel free to help spruce it up - your efforts will be rewarded!)

Official BGG 2012 Secret Santa Rules:

To particpate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:

1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result.

2.) You have until Midnight (CST, GMT-6), Friday November 9th to sign up. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration.

3.) Keep your wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your wishlist. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you get something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) When it comes to sending, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's wishlist. The total cost of the games you send (including shipping) should be at least $50 USD.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you can make it truly special if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found in last year's geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74475. Some really nice stuff has been given out!

5.) This is an international Secret Santa. Anyone from any country is welcome to join. As such, recognize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor international shipping into your gift. We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from!

Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. The distinctly international flavor of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion.

6.) Most importantly, have fun! This is supposed to be an enriching activity - not a stressful one. We had nearly 2200 people participate last year for the biggest BGG Secret Santa yet. I think we can go bigger!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you DO NOT WANT to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong. We had a number of such people last year who did an AMAZING job stepping in to salvage what would have otherwise been frustrating situations.

If you were one of those saintly geeks last year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you! If you were someone who had a replacement Santa step in and save Christmas for you, share your experience here to inspire others to do the same this year.

And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you too! If you would like to BOTH sign up for Secret Santa normally AND also fill in as a replacement Santa, sign up normally and I will put out a call for additional replacements when they are needed.

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints in this thread. Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address each and every concern you have.

If you own an online store and are interested in getting involved, please do not post here. Instead contact Chad Krizan at Chad@boardgamegeek.com and he'll make sure you are set up for the initial rush once November 9th hits.

----OCTOBER 12th Update----

WOW! We already have 1000 people signed up this year! You guys are amazing!!!

We now have the official Meeple Ornament microbadge for the exchange ready: mb

Check under the Special section on your profile microbadge list. If you don't have the badge, you haven't signed up! Click the link above now to sign up and get your 2012 Secret Santa Microbadge!

----OCTOBER 22nd Update----

Got questions about your wishlist? Like giving suggestions to others? Check out this thread: Give and receive advice on your Secret Santa wishlist

That's it! Hurry up and join! We've got elves to employ!

Happy Holidays!

-MMM
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
Re: BGG 2012 Secret Santa - Registration now open!
In again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sock Puppet Account
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Done. This will be my third (first under this name). Looking forward to harassing my mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Louis de Maere
Belgium
Pecrot
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last year's Secret Santa was a blast, I'm in for the second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down like a clown Charlie Brown!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
z morgan
United States
Shelbyville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY! I'm signed up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
Itajai
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah!!! I'm IN !
I love this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it's not possible to register twice.. I'd like to give more than i receive.. Can this be done without registering a new account (and email)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In again for time #4? 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
siberian geek
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to start taunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
I can see it's not possible to register twice.. I'd like to give more than i receive.. Can this be done without registering a new account (and email)?

Probably the easiest way is to just join once, and send to your normal target. Then after it's all over, join the list to volunteer to send something to one of the folks who end up not receiving from their actual Santa.

Sadly, every year there are a few, and that's the best way to go the extra mile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
madster321 wrote:

Probably the easiest way is to just join once, and send to your normal target. Then after it's all over, join the list to volunteer to send something to one of the folks who end up not receiving from their actual Santa.

Sadly, every year there are a few, and that's the best way to go the extra mile.

Thanks! I'll do this (if no other solution comes up from the mods - I'd be happy to do both)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My absolute favorite thing about BGG, and sadly, it looks as though I will have to once again miss out on the fun. My wife's lack of employment (going on 17 months!) just makes it out of reach for me/us. sobluecrysobluecrysobluecry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I am so in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Let the fun begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for the second time! Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb

Good, my wife has demanded me to remove this package from the roof for some time now. (it's Arkham Horror and all its expansions devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In for the second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it this time again? Well, the supermarket already have christmas sweets and chocolate, so why should BGG wait longer... But before I join the fray, I'll wait till after Essen to see what is new and add more items to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [54] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.