Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to you all.

Yesterday I 've played for the first time this excellent game and I want to see whether I did some things right:

1. The distillery, as any other tile, allows me to activate it once when I place it or put an adjacent tile with the usual prerequisites and, during that specific activation, I may exchange only 1 and not more of my wheat resources for just 1 barrel. Right?

2. Does the same happen in the butcher case? If I activate the butcher which calls for 1 sheep / 2 VP or 2 sheep / 4 VP (if memory serves), does it effectively mean that, even if I have more sheep to turn, do I either have to trade either 1 for 2 VP OR 2 for 4 and not, let's say, 3 for 6 or 4 for 8? I believe so.

3. When I place the distillery tile on my board, the barrel I instantly get stays on the tile. Right?

4. By "display" the rules mean the tiles in front of me. Does it include coins, special location cards, barrels got by the distillery and so on?

5. The VP I get during scoring are cumulative, right? i.e. when I score 5 for my barrels during scoring 1, another 5 during scoring 2 and another 5 during scoring 3, then I got 15 points in total. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, only one wheat for one barrel.

2. Indeed, you can only trade as many goods for points as written on the tile.

3. I don't see the point of letting it stay on the tile. You just get a whiskey barrel.

4. I think they only refer to the tiles in front of you. Can you be more explicit?

5. Yes, that's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2015
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r56ygf wrote:
3. I don't see the point of letting it stay on the tile. You just get a whiskey barrel.

Right. Whiskey is different than the other resources in that you are not limited to 3 per tile. Instead, you just take the whiskey barrel and keep it (not on any particular tile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

As for the "4", there isn't anything specific. I just keep seeing the word in the rules and I take it to mean the tiles in front, but I just wanted to be sure anyway. In a theoretical case for instance, where there is mention of "resources on my display" does it refer solely to resources on my tiles or also to resources I get by specific locations, such as Loch Lochy (I 've seen a video on youtube where resources got in this way were placed on the corresponding card of Loch Lochy and not the tile - I do not know whether this is correct). Such stuff.

As for the barrel, I 'm only referring to the one I get instantly upon placement of the tile, not those I get through activation. I know that the latter are not put on the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:
I 've seen a video on youtube where resources got in this way were placed on the corresponding card of Loch Lochy and not the tile

According to the rules, they are placed on the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loch lochy doesn't matter since it never generates more resources, so ot doesn't need the 3 limit and the rules referring to display for empty resource producing tiles don't apply (the lake that adds things to empty tiles)

Barrels also aren't resources or limited by tile so it doesn't matter where you put them except together is easier to count.

The English rules aren't great. Try reading my illustrated translation.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A tile cannot be activated twice.

2. Loch Ness activates another tile.

3. Loch Oich activates all other tiles.

Is this why Loch Oich does not activate Loch Ness? Because, since LO has already activated all tiles LN could normally activate and a tile cannot be activated twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:
1. A tile cannot be activated twice.

2. Loch Ness activates another tile.

3. Loch Oich activates all other tiles.

Is this why Loch Oich does not activate Loch Ness? Because, since LO has already activated all tiles LN could normally activate and a tile cannot be activated twice?

No, it's because lakes are never activated. The power of Loch Ness is magic and unrelated to normal placement/activation.

To answer the question I think you were asking, yes, on a turn where you place Oich, all tiles will be activated exactly once, so there's nothing for Ness to do on that turn. The next turn, Ness continues to work as normal.

Ness also can't cause a tile that is adjacent to this turn's placement to be activated again, because you can't activate any tile more than once.
B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx.

One more question: The cost I have to pay in order to buy Loch Ness is a clansman and not a chieftain set aside for scoring. Correct?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:
Thx.

One more question: The cost I have to pay in order to buy Loch Ness is a clansman and not a chieftain set aside for scoring. Correct?

Thank you in advance.

You may use a chieftain. Check out the note at the bottom of page 6:

"Note: A player may pay the placement costs for Loch Ness with 1 clan member or 1 chieftain..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have Loch Ness in my display, I may always utilize it, even if the tile I just placed is not next to it. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serazu wrote:
When I have Loch Ness in my display, I may always utilize it, even if the tile I just placed is not next to it. Correct?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Serazu wrote:

Correct.

I'll note that the reason for this is because of the text on the card. All card text is always applicable, regardless of corresponding tile placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir George
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.