Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Maschler
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have questions about the "False Clue" exploration card. Here is how the card reads:

FALSE CLUE
Trap.
Immediately test your Intellect.
Pass: Discard this card.
Fail: Drop this card and your turn immediately ends.

My questions arise from the different words used in the Pass and Fail sections of the card. I understand "Discard" and it makes sense when an investigator passes the test. But what does "Drop" mean exactly?

I assume "Drop" means return this card to its original space. Is the card now face up or face down? If face down, I understand that another investigator who wasn't paying attention, or a forgetful investigator may trip this trap and run the risk of losing the remainder of his or her turn.

If face up, like a revealed obstacle card that has not been solved, why would anyone spend an action to explore that room again unless there were more cards underneath it? I plan on running "Yellow Matter" this weekend and given the card seeding, "False Clue" is a randomly planted card with nothing beneath it.

Furthermore, if the card is returned to the space face up, and investigators must spend an action to explore the room, then the dropped card is functionally no different than if the card were discarded except that it remains in the space.

Or does the face up card automatically force any new investigators that enter the room to make the test, like an obstacle card, or just those that enter that specific space since it is not an obstacle card?

Given the number of questions that arise if the card is dropped face up, I am inclined to adjudicate that the card is placed face down to hinder the distracted and forgetful as it seems to be the simplest solution.

But I write all this to get feedback from anyone who has a better solution or thought this through more clearly than myself. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Been awhile, but basically this is a dead end, and serves like a nothing of interest card, to keep from just assuming everything is under lock/obstacles.

Drop always means face-up in the same room. Discard means remove from the game. Either way, if there is nothing underneath, no one would explore past, unless it was crucial to discard it, for some reason.

Been awhile, but I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onyx Dragon
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
False Clue is a trap card the Keeper uses to block access to stuff below it. So (unless the Keeper is a moron) the case of "nothing underneath the card" won't ever happen -- the Keeper will of course put the card into a room containing (and therefore on top of) other exploration cards. The whole point is that the investigators can't explore those cards until they pass this test, and "drop" does indeed mean put it right back, face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked, but I'm pretty certain False Clue isn't seeded anywhere. The keeper can only place it as an effect of the Traps & Treachery keeper action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Isn't False Clue the one that's randomly seeded in Yellow Matter?

And yes, it's dropped face-up. Dropped cards are always face-up. You might consider exploring there anyhow if it was placed by Traps & Treachery and you want to get to the loot it's blocking. Or if you really really want Dexter Drake to be able to hidingport into the room and need to empty it to make that possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maschler
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Isn't False Clue the one that's randomly seeded in Yellow Matter?

Yes, False Clue is randomly seeded in the Yellow Matter scenario. Therefore nothing will be under "False Clue" by game design. I'm prepping to run Yellow Matter this weekend and have not run any of the other Forbidden Alchemy scenarios yet so I have no familiarity with the "Traps & Treachery" Keeper Action card.

salty53 wrote:
And yes, it's dropped face-up. Dropped cards are always face-up. You might consider exploring there anyhow if it was placed by Traps & Treachery and you want to get to the loot it's blocking. Or if you really really want Dexter Drake to be able to hidingport into the room and need to empty it to make that possible.

Alright, assuming I understand correctly, if the first Investigator to discover the "False Clue" fails the test the card is returned to its original space face up. Thereafter Investigators are free to enter and leave the space and the room where the "False Clue" remains and the card is only discarded if one of the Investigators spends an action to explore the room and succeeds at an Intellect test.

It seemed like an ineffective card or poor wording, but I did not know that it was designed to work with a Keeper Action card. It probably shouldn't be used as a random seed card, but I doubt it harms anything for the upcoming game session. Thanks for everyone's input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pretty sure if the Keeper forces an investigator to drop a weapon or such, that a search to retrieve would be effected by the trap as well...I could be wrong about that though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
VonVeederVeld wrote:
pretty sure if the Keeper forces an investigator to drop a weapon or such, that a search to retrieve would be effected by the trap as well...I could be wrong about that though....

This is correct. Though the weapon would be on top of False Clue, so any Explore action would definitely succeed in picking up the weapon - it's just that False Clue might end the turn afterwards instead of letting the player take their remaining movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Dollinger
Germany
Aichach
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there a trauma card or something that forced the investigator to search a room if there is a card in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
el Igore wrote:
Wasn't there a trauma card or something that forced the investigator to search a room if there is a card in it?

Obsessive Curiosity requires you to search the room only if there is a face-down card in it - if False Clue is sitting face-up by itself, you're not required to Explore it. (Which makes it actually relevant that False Clue is dropped face-up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.