Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to post what I think is a great way to store Twilight Imperium, Shattered Empire, and Shards of the Throne all in the original box and in a way that makes setup and playing quick and easy.

Here is what I did. I started with 9 Plano 3500s. One for each player (and a color-coded set of dice for each player) and one for common components. Then I put the components belonging to each race in a separate baggie. It all just barely fits back in the box, including tons of player references I have laminated for convenience. Note that some components (e.g. original strategy cards) are not stored in the box because I don't use them.

First picture shows just how stuffed the box is:

The next picture is after I remove the race-specific baggies. On the far right I have two stacks of three Plano 3500s (these go all the way to the bottom of the box). Then going towards the left I have to more 3500s stacked on top of manuals, references, player sheets, etc. Then to the left I have the 9th Plano case. To the far left I have stacks of the board tiles.

The third picture shows you that in front of the 6 Plano boxes I have the strategy tiles and a small box containing the cards (hard to see in the picture). I have more cards between the two stacks of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Your box must be like a tardis, when I tried to sort all my components out it took up more space than before I started. shake

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, wouldn't be a problem because the whole lid sits just a bit too high. I store it vertically though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Grider
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That looks pretty cool. Is this an actual problem, though? I just kinda threw all the pieces into my box and it fits fine, with space to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem per-se, but for me it is all about quicker setup and easier gameplay. When we want to play a game, each person picks a race mat and then finds the one baggie for that race, and then grabs one Plano with all of the units that belong to that color already sorted by type. Now you have a nice storage option in front of you.

This game has a lot of pieces so I find it helpful to have some sort of organization when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my solution (get rid of the box completely):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in monster.
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

2 questions. Do the rulebooks fit in there, and what is the model number for that tacklebox?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

I like it! For me I prefer to stick with the original box since it fits on the shelf better and looks nicer, however I have been known to go the tackle box route.

Only real advantage my solution has is that with mine each player gets their own personal organizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
sputang wrote:

2 questions. Do the rulebooks fit in there, and what is the model number for that tacklebox?

Rulebooks, no... unless you fold them in half.

Click the pic for the model number. It came up with links to 2 stores in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love TI3 box storage threads...

Here is mine to share...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

I like and hate it
It's easy to carry and it doesn't take much space! That's awesome.
But it looks like pain to setup - you cannot just give everyone component they need. (here is bag of black ships and here is everything related to Hacan.)

But I am sure couple of plastic bags inside same box would have solved this problem for me easily.
Otherwise it is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. While I am quite amazed at this Houdini like feat you have pulled, I will have to just pretend that I didn't just see rubber bands around the cards. Very impressive however
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Love TI3 box storage threads...

Here is mine to share...

Nice. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nath1975 wrote:
Oh dear. While I am quite amazed at this Houdini like feat you have pulled, I will have to just pretend that I didn't just see rubber bands around the cards. Very impressive however

In my defense, the only rubber band that I have here is around the strategy cards (cardboard). I guess I'm not as worried about them as regular cards. But I have some of that miracle tape stuff that I should switch it out with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Nath1975 wrote:
Oh dear. While I am quite amazed at this Houdini like feat you have pulled, I will have to just pretend that I didn't just see rubber bands around the cards. Very impressive however :)

In my defense, the only rubber band that I have here is around the strategy cards (cardboard). I guess I'm not as worried about them as regular cards. But I have some of that miracle tape stuff that I should switch it out with.

Strategy cards with bands are fine, they should withstand any significant indentations forming. Although, don't leave them like that for years unchecked (for a game like this...as if?). I opened a very old game once whereby I had rubber banded some decks years ago and forgot about. The rubber had begun liquefying and was melding with the cardboard!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Suchecki
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
garfielder wrote:
deedob wrote:

I like and hate it
It's easy to carry and it doesn't take much space! That's awesome.
But it looks like pain to setup - you cannot just give everyone component they need. (here is bag of black ships and here is everything related to Hacan.)

But I am sure couple of plastic bags inside same box would have solved this problem for me easily.
Otherwise it is awesome!

I did something like this. I put mine in a simpler tackle box. I kept all the other pieces in little baggies, but for the spaces that were given for hooks and stuff, i put the tg and other tokens in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.