the ally wanted an actual 2x4. As in lumber,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this sounds like it's shaping up to be something really special for MoM. I like how it sounds as if they've added a bunch of new gameplay elements that are fun and actually work (unlike FA) without really extending the game time. 90 minutes is the sweetspot. I don't really mind in Arkham Horror, because of the faster play, but anything over 2 hours is just too much for this game.

Any other cool little things? Like new item or mythos/trauma cards you remember?

Also how does the ally movement work? Do you just take their token and whoever has the token has the ally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDoctor wrote:
Smoo wrote:
salty53 wrote:
There are actually three types of ally story cards: Rumors give information, Events make something happen, and Tasks give you a job to do.

Right, the tasks. Yes, you silly old man, I'll get you a 2x4. Gah!

Out of interest, what do you mean by "a 2x4"?

Thanks in advance!

A new equipment/weapon card. Two by four. Big piece of wood you can hit things with. Or maybe build a nice cabin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_lumber#Dimensional_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WakkaWakkatronic wrote:
Also how does the ally movement work? Do you just take their token and whoever has the token has the ally?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember us having any control over ally movement. The allies did move in our game, but I don't think it was us doing it. I seem to remember it happening through game effects (events or keeper actions or something). We interacted with them, but we could by no means control them (other than to get them to defend themselves).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't remember us having any control over ally movement. The allies did move in our game, but I don't think it was us doing it. I seem to remember it happening through game effects (events or keeper actions or something). We interacted with them, but we could by no means control them (other than to get them to defend themselves).

I just figured they worked like AH allies, you just had them with you. Which is why they have the tokens. Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WakkaWakkatronic wrote:
Smoo wrote:

I just figured they worked like AH allies, you just had them with you. Which is why they have the tokens. Interesting.

No, very different. They're more like non-player characters doing their own thing. Like an exploration card with a personality. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The allies are pretty much "True Neutral". They're kind of helpful, especially if you help them, they're not too keen on the world ending, and they'll practice self-defense if cornered. But they're also afraid of what's going on, mistrustful of you investigators, and aren't too keen to be running around the woods with you. They're not as strong or as sane as you are and feel safer sitting in their houses. There are a couple of ways for investigators to move them, but they won't run around at your side automatically.

"Allies" is a bit of a strong term - especially since one of them is secretly evil all along. "NPC's" is more like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

Already this sounds a lot more interesting and fun than Alchemy did. This also sounds like a pretty huge expansion. Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nersi Nikakhtar
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2x4 refers to a piece of wood, used in the game both as a weapon and as an item for a task. (See the paragraph in the game session summary starting with "Twice, we had 'tasks'...") We had to fetch pieces of wood twice to advance the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
People who've played Forbidden Alchemy, let me ask you something: what new items from FA can you remember? Starting Items, Keys, and Story Items don't count, nor do Traps. Just regular old Equipment, Artifacts, Weapons, and so on that are cool to find lying around. What shiny new items were there?

Well, there was that Lore-based Sledgehammer, the True Magick spellbook, and...

...um...

...that mask that let you reroll evade tests?

I might be forgetting a couple, but, well, apparently they were pretty forgettable. Anyhow, my point is that I saw more shiny new items in a single seven-turn game of one scenario than even exist in all of Forbidden Alchemy.

Nersi wrote:
We had to fetch pieces of wood twice to advance the game.

Only because your keeper screwed up, the second one wasn't even a Task, it just creates a 2x4 to help you complete the task. I think the flavor text has him asking you to retrieve it for him but come on, keeper, you should know the difference between flavor text and rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I might be forgetting a couple, but, well, apparently they were pretty forgettable. Anyhow, my point is that I saw more shiny new items in a single seven-turn game of one scenario than even exist in all of Forbidden Alchemy.

That's exactly why I asked earlier. What sorts of cool things? Tell me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Corinna starts with a tome for the spell Levitate... but we didn't buy it from her so I can't say what it does.

There was an artifact that let you move another investigator or an ally one space using your Action. That's not the only way of moving allies around as an investigator, but it's the easiest.

Here's the real fun part to having new items: ever since base set, there's been a No Weapon card in the Eldritch deck that has you attack with one of your Equipment cards. Therefore, every new piece of Equipment that gets printed can be used to bludgeon horrible things from beyond. To truly win all of Mansions of Madness forever, you must slay the Dunwich Horror... with bandages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
To truly win all of Mansions of Madness forever, you must slay the Dunwich Horror... with bandages.

The first person to do this wins the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WakkaWakkatronic wrote:
salty53 wrote:

That's exactly why I asked earlier. What sorts of cool things? Tell me!
Swordcane... I like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Swordcane is pretty cool, but I'm not counting it because it's a Starting Item. Besides, Mists of Releh is even cooler.

(But CotW's Starting Items are better than FA's anyhow. Where FA gave us junk like Flash Powder, CotW gives us "screw all this monster nonsense, I'm just going to drink and drink and drink until I can't see straight enough to be scared".)

Smoo wrote:
The first person to do this wins the internet.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I've only even seen that Eldritch combat card drawn once ever (someone tried and failed to clobber a Shoggoth with a Flux Stabilizer during Season of the Witch). And my group has seen some things you people wouldn't believe (Keeper winning by killing all 8 base-game investigators, a Shoggoth in Blood Ties, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, etc).

But I guess if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth an internet, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
CotW gives us "screw all this monster nonsense, I'm just going to drink and drink and drink until I can't see straight enough to be scared".)

YEESSSSSSSS!!!

Though that really should be Harvey's starting card: "I'm getting too old for this Sh--oggoth!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all of the scenarios contain these cool new mechanics, or just one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Do all of the scenarios contain these cool new mechanics, or just one?

The preview on FFG's website showed what appeared to be five ally markers, of which only three were used in A Cry for Help.

They also mentioned "ritual puzzles", which we haven't seen yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nersi Nikakhtar
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We only got to play the one scenario, and I didn't get a chance to look through the scenario guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDoctor wrote:
Out of interest, what do you mean by "a 2x4"?

A plank, so you can clip him upside thine noggin for his foolishness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You saw Dunwich Horror but you haven't said anything about it?
What is it's type? Eldritch? Or they had created a new monster type, like "Son of an Ancient One"?
What stats does it has? 30+ health? 10+ attack? Whats about special ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
What is it's type? Eldritch? Or they had created a new monster type, like "Son of an Ancient One"?

#Dusty Springfield#
The only one who could ever reach me
Was the son of an ancient one
The only boy who could ever teach me
Yes he was, he was, ooh, he was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:

#Dusty Springfield#
The only one who could ever reach me
The only boy who could ever teach me
Yes he was, he was, ooh, he was

Genesis
No Son of an Ancient One

Well the key to my survival
Was never in much doubt
The question was how I could keep sane
Trying to find a way out

Things were never easy for me
Peace of mind was hard to find
And I needed a place where I could hide
Somewhere I could call mine

I didn't think much about it
Til it started happening all the time
Soon I was living with the fear everyday
Of what might happen that night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nersi Nikakhtar
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We saw the Dunwich Horror, but its appearance was brief. It was an Eldritch monster, and I don't remember its specific stats now (I'm not sure we ever saw them). The game ended fairly soon after its appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oooohhh

I was just extremely hyped by such powerful being appearing as a monster in the game, and I expect it to live up to it's name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.