Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the units and equipment received through Direct/Covert Foreign Aid supposed to remain unknown to the three other factions? (Assuming they go into a Column when placed on the board?) Or in the latter case, is each faction supposed to reveal which cards they got before they place them?

The "covert" part of the name leads me to believe all secret, but I wasn't sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you openly receive the bounty from covert foreign aid cards - but you don't have to reveal where you deploy.

Major power units from direct foreign aid are kept secret until revealed in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Agree with wifwendell but to add to that it isn't clear in 12.4*(see edit below) whether the type of minor units received during direct foreign aid is openly declared or selected secretly.

The Set Up (3 Step 1)requires that major units are placed face down but does not say anything about minor units so the implication is that players are allowed (if they have enough brain space!) to inspect each other's force pools to deduce what has been taken. Without the explicit right to secrecy there appears to be nothing in the rules to stop players being 'secretive' when selecting minor units for direct foreign aid and up to other players to keep their eyes open. Not sure it matters much either way and bet everyone plays this different.

* edit: meant 12.1 not 12.4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mark of carnage wrote:
Agree with wifwendell but to add to that it isn't clear in 12.4 whether the type of minor units received during direct foreign aid is openly declared or selected secretly.

12.4 says:

After revealing his bid, each player then
draws that number of cards from the Reinforcement Card deck,
and openly receives the bounty of each card.

mark of carnage wrote:
The Set Up (3 Step 1)requires that major units are placed face down but does not say anything about minor units so the implication is that players are allowed (if they have enough brain space!) to inspect each other's force pools to deduce what has been taken. Without the explicit right to secrecy there appears to be nothing in the rules to stop players being 'secretive' when selecting minor units for direct foreign aid and up to other players to keep their eyes open. Not sure it matters much either way and bet everyone plays this different.

If placed in a column, a minor country unit is immune from inspection just like the rest of the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
mark of carnage wrote:
Agree with wifwendell but to add to that it isn't clear in 12.4 whether the type of minor units received during direct foreign aid is openly declared or selected secretly.

12.4 says:

After revealing his bid, each player then
draws that number of cards from the Reinforcement Card deck,
and openly receives the bounty of each card.

mark of carnage wrote:

If placed in a column, a minor country unit is immune from inspection just like the rest of the stack.

Wendell, wasn't disagreeing with you. I was referring to direct not covert aid and simply put wrong reference number down. Meant to put 12.1 not 12.4whistle

In the second bit, was referring to the secrecy of selection of minor units not the secrecy of their placement. By 'force pool' I meant those counters held 'off map'. Sorry for not being clear. In the original question Jason asked about the secrecy of unit selection for both covert and direct aid and the selection of direct aid minor units hadn't been addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.