The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Difficulty Packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is flowing and with every new adventure pack your arsenal becomes greater and more powerful.
Sometimes I wondered how could I make those old scenarios offer more trouble so I could feel challenge by them once more, and then... the Difficulty Packs were born!

New Rules:
Surge - When a card with Surge is revealed from the 'Difficulty Deck', an additional card is revealed from THAT SAME DECK.
Shuffle - When a card with the ability Shuffle hits the discard pile, that card is shuffled back into the Encouter/Difficulty Deck
instead.
Epic - Epic cards are removed from the game instead of being put in the discard pile.
Flame - You must burn Flame cards and make an offer to Sauron... No, I'm kidding, there is no Flame ability.

"Extra Pack" Style
The player sets an additional deck called 'Difficulty Deck' with ONLY cards from the Difficulty Pack.
During the Quest Phase, reveal one card from the 'Difficulty Deck' before revealing any card from the Encounter Deck.
Create a Difficulty Discard when you need to discard a Difficulty Deck card.

Obs.: This is the better style when playing with 3-4 players - while with two is also a good idea, the encounter addition under certain
conditions offer a smoother gameplay. When playing solo, this Style may greatly increase the difficulty.

"Encounter Addition" Style
The Encounter Deck is tempered with cards from the 'Difficulty Pack'.
You can add all cards from the 'Difficulty Pack', or you could temper it the way you want it (like a sauce!).

---------

Thanks to
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for his suggestion. I'll finish the other two Difficulty Packs and then will start a Thematic Difficulty Pack, tailored made to each Quest within a determined cycle.

There is also two new Quests being uploaded to the BGG files, so stay tuned!

---------

:: All-Packs .pdf:
Extra Pack - Encounter Addition

Medium Hard Difficulty

How much cards should I add?
If used as "Extra Pack" (.pdf)
4x Corrupted Rider
3x Confusion
3x Misleading Path
1x Haunted by Shadow

If used "Encounter Addition" (.pdf)
4x Confusion
4x Corrupted Rider
4x Misleading Path
2x Haunted by Shadow

Hard Difficulty

3x Crowd Ambush
3x Mass Confusion
2x Very(x3) Dark Tall Forest
2x Black Commander
1x Moria Worm
*9x Ambush!

If used "Encounter Addition" (.pdf)
5x Crowd Ambush
3x Mass Confusion
3x Very(x3) Dark Tall Forest
2x Black Commander
2x Moria Worm
*15x Ambush!

*Ambush doesn't belong IN the deck, it is a proxy for another card.

Very Hard Difficulty

4x Adept of the Dark Arts
3x Path of Dismay
2x Hydra of Rhûn
2x Sneak Strike
2x Wildfire

If used as "Encounter Addition" (.pdf)
5x Adept of the Dark Arts
3x Path of Dismay
3x Hydra of Rhûn
3x Wildfire
2x Sneak Strike

---------

I'm awaiting approval from BGG and very soon the cards will be updated to it's database so you'll be able to download everything at once!

EDIT:
- Black Commander had a Unique Symbol. Simply a mistake.
- Mass Confusion and the Tall Forest had a different Quest Symbol.
- Forgot one enemy in the second pack.
- Added the last Difficulty Pack.
- Added pdfs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Difficulty Pack
Nice additions, but in fact these would make some scenarios more easy, but not all :-)

If I understand correctly, these cards replace one of those normal encounter cards that are drawn from normal encounter deck, or are these meant as an additional encounter card? I think that the first one is right. The problem may be, that some of these cards are not very thematically fit, with original encounter cards.
If you are willing to do extra work, It may be a wice idea to make difficultu deck for each addventure cycle, so that it will be more thematic with the rest of the cards.
So one for: Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, one for Dwarrowdelf cycle and another for Against the Shadow cycle.
Ofcource these Difficulty decks could have common cards, but allso cycle specific.
For example "Very Dark Tall Forest" would be nice in Shadow of Mirkwood deck, but Dwarrowdelf would have "Deep Caverns" card instead and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is two ways to play with these difficulty packs, one is to add them to the normal Encounter Deck, the other is making a new stack, called 'Difficulty Deck' that you always draw one (and exactly one, regardless of # of players) encounter card at the start of the staging step on the Quest Phase.
The last one makes things more difficulty for one obvious reason (one additional card drawn) and some more subtle (like the likelihood of drawing the more nasty ones like Haunted by Shadow), while the former adds a little less difficulty while not tempering with the mechanics too much.

Good point about the thematic packs!
Indeed these would not fit thematically (with almost any quest, really), but that was not the point in the first place. I will finish these difficulty packs (there is still 2 more packs) and then I'll start the thematic ones.
In fact, I'll edit the OP to reflect your suggestion.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi Cord,

Looks great and an impressive idea, especially for maturing decks the more new cards come out (as previously suggested, I believe).

I tend to find printing from pdf effective for me. Any chance the "cards" are available in pdf form? Looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never tried that approach, but I'll do a search to learn how to do it.
In fact, I'll also add this possibility for my next quests.

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, pdfs created, the job here is done*.

*The Generic Difficulty Packs, that is. I'll invest time soon in Specific Difficulty Packs to each quest in the Mirkwood Cycle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cord, thanks for the effort, this is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.