Hide
3 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expansion Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seb Pod
msg tools
Has anyone else switched to just using the expansion cards regardless of initial or variant setup?

We find the new cards get rid of all the cards that deter battle (Doran, Patchface being the major ones).

Further, has anyone tried mix and match between the sets? If so, did it work, or if not tried, what would you want to mix between the two sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sebpodlesny wrote:
Has anyone else switched to just using the expansion cards regardless of initial or variant setup?

No, but this possibility is mentioned in the rules card for the Dance With Dragons set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi

I have!, I like doran and patchface though and I kept them, I like cards that have a psychological effect and I use them for bargaining, and general threatening.

I hate the new cards that set a final battle strength as I find these undermine the empire building and strategy of the game, and I dont think it likely I will play them. That forced me to look for alternatives by mixing the decks. So far I only play the base game (not the scenario)not to spoil those that are not in the 5th book so these deckbuilds are meant for the base game.

The general idea behind is to help the underdogs a bit and encourage battle both on land and sea.These are my changes on the base sets:

Tyrell: A bit more sea edge, and a protection against Martell text abilities to encourage fights.
Queen of Thorns --> Queen of thorns (Cancels text abilities)
Alester Florent --> Paxter redwine (+1 to ships)

Baratheon: They dont need help but I wanted to give them something to use thir PTs on
Melissandre --> Melissandre (strenght 2 and ability to buyback used HC with PT)

Lannister: Pumped them up A LOT, they got 2 ST4 cards!!
Jaimie --> Jaimie (strength 4)
Tyrion --> Quyburn (St 0 and can buy any used HC of any house for the battle spending PTs, bought card text abilities will not work), This is the ability Tyrion ought to had since the beginning!!!
Cersei --> Cersei (St 1 and a tower) just a bit more of help

Stark: No help needed here, but I gave them an edge to open the turtles in the south
Blackfish --> Walder Frey (forces 3rd party support to support stark)

Greyjoy: Nerfing them is a grave mistake IMHO specially in this case with the new Lannister deck.
Asha --> The maid (gain 3 PT if you lose a battle) this makes incursions and mock attacks more likely. Adds fun.
Dagmar CleftJaw --> The reader (you might select one of the next westeros card) This is a gamechanger for Greyjoy, being able to put a marshaling in place instead of praying for one to the drowned god, frees them from luck dependence on the game start.

Martell: I favored the tracker abilities house theme at the expense of 1 strength
Darkstar --> Gerris (ST 1 Increase Martell position by 1 in 1 tracker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.