Subject: DoD3 - grief rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Ok this is a bit of a complicated game....

Two issues so far...

1. If only 2 players, why would u move the minor marker all over the place - like suggested in the example?

2. How is it possible for a major power NOT to play an option???

Sure there will be MANY more questions...

This is a lot more complicated than DoD...

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope somebody reads this for you - I only have a fraction of one game of DOD3 under my belt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
There's a lot of counter intuitive stuff in the game.
I actually think u probably could use DoD 1 with WIFFE
By having it only impact the old minors...

Any other minor could then only be taken by coup

Would be a lot simpler

That said ill persevere :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, even moreso than Wiffe, dod NEEDS three players. I'm not sure that I would consider playing it without at least three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Two is no good for DoD. If you've only got two players, find another game. Three is necessary, five is best (certainly if combining with WiFFE as there is just too much to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
I played DoD with two :-). That's the number we got :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ansettk wrote:
I played DoD with two :-). That's the number we got :-)

In which case I am not sure what your question is. What are the two teams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
I was wondering how the move all markers on a minor works when there's only 2 people?
Won't it be in favour of the allies?

Also presume you still play one card per axis / ally - ie up to 8+ options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev
I think the point is that DOD3 just doesn't work with two players full stop. It's based on having three ideologies scrapping for the minors and victory hexes through the game, if you tried to do it two handed one player would have to try to play his two ideologies as if he was playing solo (ie try to beat himself). Remember, it would be equally valid to have one player playing the fascists and communists against the democrats....

As to making DOD1 work with FE, that's an interesting point. The main problem I suspect would be making the different US entry rules align and balance. The easiest option if you want to include politics in WiFFE would be to use POLIF, but that doesn't give you the 36 start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Well the Dod3 rules "say" that its 2-8 players.

We will give it a go

If it doesnt work, I was thinking of pairing the options from Dod1 with the US entry of DoD3 - maybe that will work...

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that's what the rules say but IMHO it is a 3 minimum. Our current game (being reported as a game of two Andy's) has a hyper aggressive USSR (ahem, me) whose us entry is sky high. The US could probably declare on Russia first. Playing the suggested two handed game wouldn't allow that to happen.

I guess that 2 handed would translate into a large advantage to the allies as the democrats and commies would coordinate rather than competing for minor control, unless you played house rules that commie or democrat minor activations must always benefit the activating power - which is difficult to apply. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you, let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Yup - will do :-)

I'm playing it more for the fun than the winning though :-)

Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game started out with seven (!) players, but this has now been reduced to 2 so I am playing all the democracies as "the Allies". DoD is playable with only two players, but the balance is only so-so. A key feature (as I see it) with DoD is that you drive a pretty strong wedge between the Soviet Union and the rest of the Allies compared to normal WiF, and if one player controls both that effect is nullified. However, there are still larger problems in coordinating them since they move in separate impulses.

Concerning moving ideologies back and forth, I think the order and "direction" in which you active minor countries is essential to winning the political game. It is hard to put it into words, but having played it for a year I have come to absolutely love the fact that you have a very three-dimensional game on a two-dimensional map.

Well, let us try one example:

On the first turn, the Soviet Union plays "Purge" which gives them -2 influence with Finland, and this is enough to move Finland one space away from the Soviet Union on the Status Display. There are three eligible locations to move them to: straight away from Communism (to the "east") between Fascism and Democracy, one step "up" towards the Democratic faction or one step "down" towards Fascism. All three are "away" from the Soviet Union, so there is no difference between them, right?

Wrong!

If you move them one step "up" towards democracy, what happens if the Soviet Union gains another -2 influence with Finland? That influence cannot be used to move them towards Fascism, since such a move would not be further from the Soviet Union on the Status Display. In other words, the fascists are going to have a hard time to bring Finland "down" to Fascism, where they must be to use them in Operation Barbarossa. (Finland easily gains negative influence with the Soviet Union during the game, for example during border rectification.

Conversely, if Germany gets to activate Finland (only fascist that can) and instead use the -2 Soviet influence to move them down towards them, the democrats can no longer use negative Soviet influence to move them away from Germany politically.

So, a shift of a single step in the right (or wrong) direction can have a lot of effect on the political gameplay.

I hope this post was not too confusing or too long. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Actually youve just highlighted the flaw others have mentioned.

In your example, as the soviets, you know what your due to play - purge.
So you can coordinate it with yourself (easy) to move Finland towards Democracy, as it will overall help yourself.

I think the key trick will be how to determine actions that benefit either communists or democracy, without using the fact theres only one player to swing it to that player.

Possibly have a predetermined list of countries that are communist aims, and a list for Democracy aims??

So if the commies move the country away, and its not on the democracy list, they effectively are forced to move it to fascist direction..

Or possibly option 2, each alternative turn, the fascist plays the communist activations???

There MUST be a way of doing it - just doesnt seem easy )

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Ansett
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Or another option.

The player playing the allies chooses options, the fascist chooses the minor movement?

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev, this is part of the political game. You can try your damnedest to do damage control with all the negative influence you generate (especially with the Soviet Union) but sooner or later you are going to have to choose which country to "keep" and which to let go. The fascists actually have it a little easier here, since all they have to do is to make sure they handle any negative influence generated with the Netherlands so that those are kept outside the Democratic faction. Otherwise, the Japanese player can kiss his oil goodbye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.