Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of Frodo's turn, if Sauron plays a Sauron-card with only 3 black circles on it, does Frodo move 1 or 3 steps towards darkness? And if it was Sam's turn, does he move 1 or 3 steps?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever Hobbit it is, they would move only 1. This is clear from the rules:
Quote:
The affected Fellowship player must select one of the consequences (one symbol!) on the Sauron card and satisfy it"

One symbol means, in this case, one of the black circles.

Note that this is only true of the "partial" Sauron turn at the start of a Fellowship player's turn. If Sauron is activated instead of a die roll, he gets a "full" turn, which means that if he chooses to play a card, the Hobbit in question must deal with all the symbols on the card (so Frodo would move forward 3 spaces in the case of the card from your example).

Sam is the exception to this; due to his special ability, he needs to deal with only one of the symbols on the card, even in this case -- so he would still only need to move forward one space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick reaction.

Just to make absolutely sure:

There is also a Sauron card with a horse head and 2 green circles, so you have the option (at the start of a fellowship's turn) to either discard 1(!) life token or move the black rider? Doesn't matter if you're Sam or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right. You just choose one symbol and carry out that action -- discard one life token, move forward one space, whatever.

In the case of the horse's head, though, the number the Black Rider moves forward is part of the symbol, so you can't choose to move him forward only one space!

The only time you have to deal with the whole card (i.e. all three symbols) is if Sauron is activated instead of a die roll (and the active player is not Sam).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more questions:

1) If Sauron plays a Nazgul or Sauron card, can we interrupt it by putting on the ring and ending the scenario before the card takes effect?

2) can we use the Mithril card for any Sauron card he plays or only if he plays a Sauron card instead of a die roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Marty wrote:
Two more questions:

1) If Sauron plays a Nazgul or Sauron card, can we interrupt it by putting on the ring and ending the scenario before the card takes effect?

IIRC, the ring can only be put on after turning over a tile, or after carrying out a tile or card. Nothing in the rules (that I'm aware of) allows you to use it to interrupt after a card is played but before it comes into effect. So that's a no.

Quote:
2) can we use the Mithril card for any Sauron card he plays or only if he plays a Sauron card instead of a die roll?

I hope you won't think I'm rude, but if you just read the rules, this is clearly answered. In both sections ("Sauron's actions instead of a die roll" and "Sauron's actions at the start of every turn") it specifically says the Feature card "Mithril" may be played. So that's a yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're rude, I think you are very helpful. The Dutch rules are very unclear and I couldn't find official English rules. Thanks for your answers and here's some geek gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you kindly! cool

And I'm sorry I didn't consider that you might not have the English rules. I'm surprised, though, if the Dutch rules don't mention the Mithril card in those sections. Sounds like someone did a poor job of translating!

There are some useful files for this expansion here on BGG: in particular a Word document version of the rules! Also you might find these useful: reference cards for both Fellowship and Sauron players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that Word document. That helps a lot.

Still one question on the Mithril card:

If Sauron plays a Sauron card (instead of a die roll) does the Mithril card completely cancels the card or only the affects that could happen on a die roll (so only the black symbols).

To answer my own question about putting on the ring after Sauron plays a Nazgul card:

Quote:
2. Then the instructions on the Nazgûl card cause an “incident” that usually affects the entire fellowship. As after revealing an event tile, all players may take actions (e.g. playing yellow feature cards, putting on the ring, or calling Gandalf), to avoid some or all consequences before they are implemented."

I guess this means that if Frodo puts on the ring after Sauron plays a Nazgul card and then the scenario ends because the marker reaches the end of the main line that the “incident” on the Nazgul card is cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Marty wrote:
Thank you for that Word document. That helps a lot.

Still one question on the Mithril card:

If Sauron plays a Sauron card (instead of a die roll) does the Mithril card completely cancels the card or only the affects that could happen on a die roll (so only the black symbols).

The Mithril card completely cancels the card, because the card is "instead of" a die roll. It doesn't matter if it was an effect that couldn't have arisen from an actual die roll of a die roll.

Quote:
To answer my own question about putting on the ring after Sauron plays a Nazgul card:

Quote:
2. Then the instructions on the Nazgûl card cause an “incident” that usually affects the entire fellowship. As after revealing an event tile, all players may take actions (e.g. playing yellow feature cards, putting on the ring, or calling Gandalf), to avoid some or all consequences before they are implemented."

I guess this means that if Frodo puts on the ring after Sauron plays a Nazgul card and then the scenario ends because the marker reaches the end of the main line that the “incident” on the Nazgul card is cancelled?

I had completely forgotten that rule! So yes, you can use the ring to interrupt a Nazgul card (but as far as I know, not a Sauron card).

I would say that your interpretation is correct, because it would be like using the ring to interrupt an Event. In that situation, if the marker reaches the end of the main track, the scenario ends and the event does not happen. I think this situation would be the same; the Nazgul card would not happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van Baal
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I've got it all figured out now.

Mithril can be played to cancel out any Sauron card, no matter when played.

Again, thank you for your help, Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.