Subject: Pickett's Charge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a school retreat, we had a short reconvening of the Strategic Gaming Club, primarily to play a round of Battle Cry. The conditions were less than ideal: in order to get away from the student body, we had to play in the dining hall at 9pm. This wouldn't have been so bad had we access to the lights. We had some lights in an adjoining section, and a large flashlight, and a desire to play the game, which was all we needed.

As the Union army, I had a slight advantage in numbers and initial layout, but with the nature of the game, you never know who is going to win. It started out basic enough, with lots of positioning and long-distance skirmishing, but eventually got going about twenty minutes into the game. This session was a classic example of the limitations (or ontology, if you prefer card-driven game) of the card-driven game, as well as the absence of attrition value in Battle Cry in particular. By this I mean a group of just the flagbearer has just as much firepower as the four-person infantry unit, for example. Though this is sometimes frustrating, it lead to the exciting finish about an hour into the game.

With most of my Union units in the center, and no cavalry whatever, I was limited in my options for a number of turns, since my card hand was populated mostly by left or right flank attacks or skirmishes, and a useless "Hit and Run" card. While the student's Confederate army slowly progressed up the center, fighting across the flank lines, I slowly chipped away at the flanks until I could position my artillery, though this never happened successfully, in part because of the impassable terrain between the left flank and center. It took several turns of poor dice rolling and unit chipping before the victory flags started to accumulate. We had some interesting General plays, here and there, with some Generals losing their units, making mad dashes to join other units, and leading rallying counter-attacks. It went back and forth, since his dice rolls usually went better than mine (often I would send his units into a retreat before my coordinated attacks could do significant damage, and of course I would roll lots of artillery and cavalry damage when I was attacking infantry).

I knew he was in better position than I was, across the board, so I decided to play the All-Out Offensive card. It almost worked, too. I gained the fifth victory flag and was close to gaining the final flag on my right flank from a lone flagbearer from a destroyed infantry unit when the dice ran cold. We stood five flags to two. I figured I was in good enough position to win the next turn, since I had a couple of options for the right flank to get that lone guy. As you can imagine, he played the Counterattack card, mimicking my All-Out Offensive. The dice were ablaze. Within five minutes he tied my victory flag total, and naturally the game came down to that lone flagbearer and my right flank. His other units had isolated my General, and that flagbearer and his three dice brought up a crossed-saber. Actually, he had plenty of other attacks he didn't use, so it didn't need to come down to that - he just had a flair for the dramatic. Pickett finally got his revenge. It would have been nice to win, but it was enjoyable to get a chance to play, even in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad luck, great reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashlight in the cafeteria. Very high level of dedication. I've been really enjoying Battle Cry for the last year. Just finished playing through all the scenarios, plus the bonus Jackson Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Avery
Idaho
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I lost an embarrassing Pickett's charge as the Union due to poor card draws & bad die rolling, much like yourself. It still comes up to this day around Christmas time. Fun game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.