Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules and perusing the Rules forum and watching some videos of game play, I am left with one minor uncertainty regarding the rules. On page 2 of the English rules (Rio Grande Games edition) under "Preparation", the rules state:

Quote:
Next, the players draw tiles from the "0" stack one at a time and place them face-up, one per space on the track, starting with the next space after the last player's figure and continuing up to, but not including the space directly behind the starting player's figure.

My question is whether each tile from the "0" stack needs to be placed in order on the track, starting with the next space after the last player's figure, or whether the tiles can be placed at any legal space on the track as they are drawn. My first reaction was that they should probably be placed in order as they are drawn, but then, why such specificity (with italics and underlining) about drawing them one at a time? Also, if they are just going to be placed in order, why have each player draw and place tiles, why not instead just make it a part of set-up that they are placed randomly in order as drawn.

Anyway, I'm likely over-thinking this, and, while the position of individual "0" tiles may have some strategic value on the first turn, I think that any advantage from particular placements would likely be minimal. In any event, any help on this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player setting the tiles out is not permitted to order them for his own convenience or amusement. How you achieve this is entirely up to you, but the rules contain a sample procedure which works.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you are overthinking it. just lay them out after all player pieces (including "Glen" the dummy player die) have been setup, adding tiles from the 1 stack AFTER the 0 tiles have been laid out properly, in cases of games with fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they just get placed out as drawn, so you get a random setup each game. The underlining does seem a bit excessive - it could be a translation thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say "the rules tell you to shuffle the tile stacks" for a reason, but on checking, I notice they don't actually say that. That probably would have reinforced that they're supposed to be random.

So, do it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will shuffle the "0" stack in order to randomize and place the tiles on the board in order, starting after the last player piece (or die).

I guess I was just thrown by the need for each player to draw and place, and I agree, Steve, it is strange that the the rules don't tell you to shuffle. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.