Subject: Stark Raving - Battle of the Green Fork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another scenario Lannister won the first time.

I distributed the strategy tokens more or less evenly. My reasoning was that 5 rounds would be long enough to get to any token I wanted to pick up, and that Lannister might think that I would prefer the tokens closer to me and keep his units there.

Round 1

We both started off rather carefully, not moving full distance but rather keeping our units in stalwart formation. The only engagements were with some Lannister archers in the center and between my blue and his green infantry on my right flank.

Round 2

I opened round two by commanding 3 units to attack the cavalry under Addam Marbrandt's command. The first two units did not accomplish much, but then Robb single-handedly obliterated one cavalry unit, pursued, and captured Addam. devil
Only problem: Robb ended his move on a dummy strategy token, and I picked it up, because I had not noted down where I put the real ones. So I had wasted one of my "guaranteed" commanders token pickup abilities.
But apart from that, Lannisters left flank was broken, and I just had to pick up tokens in the following rounds.

On center and right flanks things went less well for me. I did not manage to eliminate any units, and every time Lannister attacked, even with only a green-rank unit, he rolled a morale result, driving my units back and effectively keeping the from getting near the strategy tokens.

Round 3

Round 3 continued in the same way: I mopped up the remaining cavalry, and collected tokens on the left flank, but couldn't get my units over the hills in the center. Gregor and his units also refused to give ground.

Round 4

Robb started to attack the center, and finally one of my infantry units could pick up a token. They were immediately eliminated by Lannister forces, but after I picked up another token on the left flank, and had Rickard gather his on the right, I had the necessary 4. I now only had to make sure that Lannister did not get me down to yellow on the morale track, so I moved my archers as if I needed to gather one more token.

Round 5

With Robb there, I was finally able to break up the center, almost capturing Kevan in the process. He had to use his commit ability to remain on the board. Lannister still managed to gain morale, but not enough to win.

Final board:

Final thoughts

My lucky rolls that captured Addam were probably offset by Lannisters luck in keeping my units from crossing the hills. I think that Stark should be able to get his markers in most cases, especially if he concentrates on the Lannister cavalry as weakest flank. That suggests that Lannister should concentrate on morale from the start. To further that end, he can use Gregors commit ability, which he neglected to do in this session. That would probably have given him one or two more morale - not enough to win this session, but maybe the deciding factor if the dice had been just a bit more in his favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great to read, thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Just in case you haven't stumbled across it yet, we keep an overview of our sessions with links to the individual reports in this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/830679/session-statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if im playing this as Lannister what would you recommend? because i pretty much always hate Marband and thinks hes an incredibly weak commander, should i abandon that flank and join marbands forces to the biggere army?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jack merridew wrote:
So if im playing this as Lannister what would you recommend? because i pretty much always hate Marband and thinks hes an incredibly weak commander, should i abandon that flank and join marbands forces to the biggere army?

I think that Addam (in his always-flanking version) should not be used defensively (as Jan tried to do in this session), because his strengths (flanking + command cards with +1 attack die for flankers) come into play only on attacks. He probably should be used to pick off the weaker units (archers and blue infantry), so Stark can't pick up his tokens or loses on morale.

As a stark player, I can only say that I find Sir Flank-a-lot rather nasty, even if he is quite easy to capture (but with cavalry only - infantry has a harder time). Those flank attacks really hurt, especially in combination with pursue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So would you recommend just attacking with marband the units in front of him since i have 2 other commanders or should i go around to the weaker flank Stark has
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charge'em but only after Starks commit heir units/spent their resources, so the counterattcks don't eat you up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.