Subject: Stark Raving - Go for Gold! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had another go at my "own" scenario, after I quite decisively on our first session.

I put my lancers into line formation - one more die against infantry and no flanking seemed more important than chasing troops around at the beginning of the game. I reasoned that I might change to wedge once Lannisters troops would be decimated a bit, for better mobility and a chance to drive resilient units out of the buildings.

Round 1

We both advanced our troops toward the mine. The only noticeable action was that Lannister ordered one of his infantry units toward my rear, and started to chase my warhost around. He even reactivated his unit once. I still have no idea what he hoped to accomplish by this - maybe he hoped I would lose time by engaging his unit.

Round 2

Combat ensued, and my lancers managed to capture Daven! At this point I thought the session was decided (in my favor, of course), but Lannisters other units proved more resilient. And I had forgotten about the Shield of Lannisport...

What did not look that good for me was that my infantry was still far from the mine, and I needed them to get in there for that early victory.

The Smalljon meanwhile tried to block Tywin from crossing the ford. The red Lannister cavalry that had advanced through the forest started to chase my archers around.

All in all, things still looked quite good for me at the start of round 3: I had one building, Tywin was blocked off, and no Lannister infantry left at the mine entry.

Round 3

Lannister used Tywins commit ability to get Daven back into the game! (We wondered a bit whether the ability should be limited to non-commander units, but nothing about that is mentioned in the rules, and it works out quite well - after all, the revived commander starts next to Tywin, so the major effect of a captured commander - command if the units in his vicinity - is not immediately regained). Still, I was a rather flabbergasted by this development - Lannister suddenly had regained a good part of his strength.

Tywin took a parting blow and bypassed the Smalljon, and so the Lannister cavalry started to take part in the fray. The worst was yet to come, tough: after some careful maneuvering to prevent retreat, a single blue cavalry unit managed to capture the Smalljon, with one red and two morale results:

The Greatjon did his best to capture the other building and advance toward the mine, but even reactivating him once, this took a lot of time. The Lannister miners also started to move toward the victory token.

Round 4

At the start of the round, I still had the chance for an immediate victory: If the infantry in the mines would score a morale result, and the Greatjon would eliminate Daven or force him to retreat, I could advance onto both tokens.

The dice did not favor me that much, and so the fighting went on. Lannister eliminated one Lancer unit, I recaptured one building, but lacked the means to prevent Tywin from riding into the other one.

Round 5

Despite repeated attacks by Lannister units, my Lancers held one building. I did not manage to capture either the token in the mines or the other building, though.

Final Thoughts

Despite having lost, as the scenario designer I'm very pleased with this session. The battle turned several times, and the outcome was rather close - just one more green hit in the mines or one possibility to reactivate the Greatjon might have changed things. The different phases - Stark starting with superior forces near the mine, but only until Tywin arrives - seem to work very well. What's left is to prove by example that this is winnable by Stark. Next time :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Graf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it really allowed to get back a commander with Tywins special ability? I always considered this ability to be restricted to "normal units".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graf wrote:
Is it really allowed to get back a commander with Tywins special ability? I always considered this ability to be restricted to "normal units".

We couldn't find anything in the rules that excludes commanders, and if you consider how powerful the commit ability of the regular Tywin card is, I don't think it is overpowered either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not that sure, if getting back a commander is intended. But imho its not too powerfull since you loose a command token permanently and wont be able to use the commander as much as you could with full command power.

But maybe we should just put that on the ask Rob list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graf wrote:

Now it's official, see this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.