Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McHugh
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I once again find myself unemployed at World Series time, just like last year, I thought I would once again play out the current World Series using the Ultimate All-Time All-Star charts designed by Randy Cox. Since the Giants and Tigers are two organizations with lots of history and lots of all-time great players, I was really looking forward to playing out this series.

Disclaimer: The outcomes of these games were in no way altered or influenced by the fact that I am a Giants fan. Really. Honestly.

Game 1: Giants 5, Tigers 4

This turned out to be the closest game of the Series. The Giants jumped out to an early 5-1 lead, but the Tigers rallied in the 8th inning and quickly scored 3 runs. With 2 outs, a George Kell single gave Charlie Gehringer a chance to score from second base and tie the game. But the throw in from Jack Clark in right field was perfect and Gehringer was tagged out at home.

Game 2: Giants 10, Tigers 5

A back-and-forth contest until the 5th inning when the Giants exploded for 5 runs. The 5th inning began for the Giants with Willie Mays being hit by a pitch from Dizzy Trout. Six of the next seven Giants batters reached base safely, then Willie McCovey cleared the bases with a long single.

Game 3: Giants 4, Tigers 1

This game was closer than the final score makes it look. After the Giants jumped out to a quick 3 run lead in the first inning, the rest of the game was a pitcher's duel between Jack Morris and Christy Mathewson. The only scoring after the first inning was a solo home run by Mel Ott plus a run scored by Ty Cobb when he advanced on an error during an attempt to steal third.

Game 4: Giants 9, Tigers 3

The Giants wrapped up the series by jumping out to another quick 3 run lead in the first inning. The Giants then proceeded to pound the Tigers pitchers, especially Darrell Evans, who went 4 for 5, scored 3 runs and had 3 RBIs.

My pick for series MVP would be Giants player/manager John McGraw who batted .500 for the series, knocking in 4 runs. Or maybe Willie McCovey, who batted .462 and who always seemed to knock in runs at just the right time each game to put the Giants over the top.

The Tigers batted as well as expected, but they could never seem to string together hits in a way that would enable them to score more runs. Their defense, however, was outstanding. In the 4 game series, the Tiger's defense accounted for 14 automatic outs as opposed to only 11 automatic outs in 4 games provided by the Tigers pitching staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What were the starting lineups (primarily) and the pitching rotations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McHugh
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pitching rotations:

Game 1: Marichal vs. Newhouser
Game 2: Perry vs. Trucks
Game 3: Mathewson vs. Morris
Game 4: Hubbell vs. Bridges

The lineups were unique for each game, but the primary lineups looked something like this:

Tigers:

cf Cobb
of Crawford
of Gibson
2b Gehringer
3b Kell
c Freehan
1b Greenberg
ss Trammell

Giants:

cf Mays
of Bonds, Barry
1b McCovey
3b McGraw
2b Doyle
of Ott
ss Davis
c Meyers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Christy Mathewson thumbsup

"(Christy) Mathewson was the greatest pitcher who ever lived. He had knowledge, judgment, perfect control and form. It was wonderful to watch him pitch when he wasn't pitching against you." - Connie Mack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic D
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenberg batting 7th?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.