Subject: What makes THUNDER ROAD a special game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my own case it isn't nostalgia, since I didn't know Thunder Road when I was a child.

Perhaps it's the fact that it's a so fast paced game. Yes, that's absoutely great for me, but there is something more.

Could it be the post-apocalyptic ambience? Yes, definetely! I love it, but also...

It's the fact that it produces me the same sensations as, when in my childhood, I played with a few toy cars: they ran fast as hell, shot each other and crashed with astonishing explosions. For me, this game is special because of this... with a bit of nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
. . . and swooping out of nowhere and blasting your opponents to bits with chopper-mounted machine guns is pretty cool no matter how you slice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy because my younger kids love playing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
It's awesome because we played it with two swedish Geeks during their stay in Bremen!

Mats Blohmé
Sweden
Simlångsdalen
Halland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably helps that it is a very solid design too. Everything flows well and the neverending road is a neet approach to a road duel game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was only introduced to Thunder Road this year, but I immediately tracked down an original unopened copy just days after playing the game (still in shrink wrap, with the cars on their sprues!). Not only was the game fun and easy, but I liked how quickly everything flowed.

It also helped that I watched all of the Mad Max movies dozens upon dozens of times as a kid, and that I'm forever grateful to Roadwarrior for kindling my interest in dystopic science fiction. Once I heard there was a Micro Machine tanker truck with the word "Thunder Road" printed on the side, the completist in me had to get one. I'm working on my own variant for chasing the tanker (influenced by other variants here on BGG).

For someone who loved Mad Max in their youth, Mad Max conjures up terrific memories of lazy Saturdays watching Mel Gibson on TV, as he dukes it out with apocalyptic gang members while cars are smashed to bits. The no-nonsense gameplay certainly helps too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Probably helps that it is a very solid design too. Everything flows well and the neverending road is a neet approach to a road duel game.

I completely agree. Does anyone know if this was the first game using a neverending road? In my opinion, it's a great innovation in boardgaming! thumbsup

By the way, the nature of the game makes it good for solitaire playing, since it's fast and easy, and also every vehicle has to move forward X squares (can't stand still, nor going backwards, etc.). At least, I find quite easy to decide the actions of my foes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's the feeling of being a part of post apocalyptia, or those countless hours in my youth trying to play the fiddly SJ Car Wars, but this game just feels right. Just enough cool plastic, easy rules, and quick game play.

Lugburz wrote:
I was only introduced to Thunder Road this year, but I immediately tracked down an original unopened copy just days after playing the game (still in shrink wrap, with the cars on their sprues!). Not only was the game fun and easy, but I liked how quickly everything flowed.

It also helped that I watched all of the Mad Max movies dozens upon dozens of times as a kid, and that I'm forever grateful to Roadwarrior for kindling my interest in dystopic science fiction. Once I heard there was a Micro Machine tanker truck with the word "Thunder Road" printed on the side, the completist in me had to get one. I'm working on my own variant for chasing the tanker (influenced by other variants here on BGG).

For someone who loved Mad Max in their youth, Mad Max conjures up terrific memories of lazy Saturdays watching Mel Gibson on TV, as he dukes it out with apocalyptic gang members while cars are smashed to bits. The no-nonsense gameplay certainly helps too!

You had to mention that Micro Machine Tanker! Now, I'll be combing ebay forever to find a deal on one. How does it compare scale wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Thunder Road" micro machine tanker is the perfect scale, pretty much on par with the game vehicles (close to N Scale). The tanker, being long, takes up exactly 2 road spaces. I found one on eBay, with shipping, for around $13 in total. Not the cheapest way to add chrome to your game, but it looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah this game is quick and brutal, but it's FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mc
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We need to get together and play this again with your new tanker setup. Plus I have some other ideas for the game to run by you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh... I'm intrigued! did you check out the variants forum and the alternate board layouts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Smedley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I first game across this game thanks to KoanCon, a UK gaming convention held in Coventry in c 1987. The con organisers made Thunder Road the "game of the convention" and asked everyone to bring a copy ... Games Workshop had just brought out their Dark Future game which also used the never-ending-road concept. Thunder Road came first, was available for less than £5 in toy shops, and was thus the fan favourite. I've had hours of fun with it since, both with gaming pals from back then and with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, my family has a copy and it's just so much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pondsmith
msg tools
I bought a new copy a few years ago when I was running Nomad Packs in my Cyberpunk 2020 game. It worked really well for recapturing that Mad Max feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.