Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Web based applet for X-Wing AI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a web-based applet for running Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and X-Wing as a AI for solo play.

Download 1.6.0
Download v1.5.0
Download v1.4.1 (replaced broken 1.4.0 build)

Download it, unzip it and open it in your favorite (not IE) browser.

Thanks to nightbomer for the AI tables I used for this applet.

Enjoy

EDIT: updated download link
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at all knowledgeable about HTML. Do you know if this system can be used on an Android tablet? (Please, don't tell me it's not the 'droid I'm looking for.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
I'm not at all knowledgeable about HTML. Do you know if this system can be used on an Android tablet? (Please, don't tell me it's not the 'droid I'm looking for.)

I have been using it from my Motorola Tablet, and it works great. Just download the zip and extract the file to the SDCard and open via "file://" url
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Ellenberger
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
Works pretty good on my Asus Transformer, though sometimes selecting the ship type is difficult. Looking forward to the y-wing being added!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyzbang wrote:
magadizer wrote:

I have been using it from my Motorola Tablet, and it works great. Just download the zip and extract the file to the SDCard and open via "file://" url

Thanks very much for the tip. I will probably try this in action tomorrow night. For anyone else that might need the info, I discovered you need three forward slashes to access the files in the browser; "file:///"

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just dloaded onto my iPad and works good. Now my copy of the game needs to arrive

Thanks for your work on this and thanks to nightbomber for the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get some screen shots and a explanation of how it works?

I mean frankly, I don't like DL stuff i have no clue what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a screenshot from the main page

Usage:
- Select a ship to control
- Select the direction and orientation of the Human Controlled ship being targeted
- Follow the maneuver suggested

There are more detailed instructions for target selection and action choice in the help page (? button)

NOTE: This is a pre-released snapshot of v1.3 with a fix for ziggy2000 issue with the radio button sensitivity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Ralph!Dstar:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New version available:
- Added Y-Wing AI
- Converted radio buttons into images (looks cooler and should solve the ship selection issue reported by ziggy2000

Download v1.3

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you put it on your Ipad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great! I now have it going on my tablet. I would be trying it out tonight if I wasn't so tired! Great work. If I had Geek Gold I would give it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
How do you put it on your Ipad?

I've put the files on Drop Box and accessed it through a share. (in Safari), it works well, as long as I have an internet access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I put it in Dropbox and tried to access it on my IPad through Safari, but it doesn't work. It looks like it does when I try to open it in explorer on my computer. When I open it in Firefox on my computer, it looks fine.

You said you accessed it through a "share" in safari. Is that something different than just loading Dropbox in safari and clicking on the index file?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No,

You have to get the direct link URL that drop box provides for the file in question and open it up in safari.

once you do that it works fine.. took me a little while to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Well, I still can't get this to work on my Ipad
But I do own a lap top

I felt it really worked well. I only had to make two logical adjustments. The first was that for an opening manuver (12 o'clock comming at you) the TIE choose a Koigan move. I understand that in close combat situations, that makes sense, but not as an opening move. It makes me think you might need another option that just selects opening moves.

The second time I had to correct it was when it chose to move one of the TIEs off the board. I kept selecting a new move until it chose one that didn't. But for the most part, when the ships were close to the edge, they ended up manuvering toward me and away from the edge, so it wasn't a problem.

I decided to keep it simple and played as Luke with no upgrades and played against an acedemy pilot and Backstabber. The first game went horribly bad for me. I was destroyed with out getting one hit on the other TIEs. Most of the time I couldn't even shoot at them. The AI definitely felt smarter than I was. Granted, this is only the second time I've played, and the TIE's got a lot of good evade rolls.

In the second game I played the same way, and lost both shields on the very first turn. I took a deep breath and decided to treat my artificial oponent with a bit more respect. I then proceded to pick them both off carefully. I flew between them, and got in behind backstaber, got a direct hit crit on him, and he choose to flee. He took a few turns to turn himself around while I took out the acadamy pilot. Backstaber had only one hitpoint left when we came back at each other, and I was able to spend the target lock that I had aquired early in the game along with a focus to get 3 hits on him, and finish him.

When I chose evade or Focus for the TIEs, I based it only on whether it looked like they would be able to shoot at Luke. If they could, I chose focus, and if they couldn't, I chose Evade. I didn't worry about barrel rolls.

All in all, I look forward to playing a 60 point skirmish tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Well, I still can't get this to work on my Ipad
But I do own a lap top

Sorry I don't have a iPad to try, with my Android tablet all I had to do was copy the files locally then open file:///path in the browser.

Piqsid wrote:
The second time I had to correct it was when it chose to move one of the TIEs off the board. I kept selecting a new move until it chose one that didn't.

Yeah I did the same thing, has only happened to me once or twice. Not sure how else to handle this without making the AI aware of positioning. I will add some details to the help about this.

Piqsid wrote:
The first was that for an opening manuver (12 o'clock comming at you) the TIE choose a Koigan move.

I have been thinking about adding a distance selection. But have not wanted to make the app overly complicated. I did not want to have to measure distance for each craft every turn.

What about a simple selector of "in range" or "out of range" (i.e. if the target in within 1-3) which would have slightly different maneuver tables?

Thanks for the input, enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
msg tools
I found another way to get it on your ipad. I downloaded the app "MyMedia" (free), which amoung several things, functions as a browser. I then went to this forum and clicked on the "Downloadv1.3" link at the top of this thread and it downloaded the zip file to my iPad. Next while still in the MyMedia app, you then click on the "Other Files" tab at the bottom and it shows the downloaded file. I then clicked the zip file it downloaded (believe I gave it a name) and it asked if I wanted to unzip it. I said yes. Then I clicked on the folder is created and then the "index.htm" file. I clicked "open" and it ran in the MyMedia program.

Just subcribed to this site so I could share this, but have visited the site for a few years and love miniatures games. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
msg tools
MyMedia works on the iPhone too. Running the program on my phone now too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve .
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is really cool! Got working on my I pad any idea when you might get the wave 2 ships working ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
I just installed it on my own web server and access it through that, works a treat!

Although rename TieAdvanced.png to tieAdvanced.png for OS's that don't see the 2 as the same file

(I got a broken image on both iPad and iMac, the source tries to open tie with a lowercase t but the img directory has it with an uppercase t)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Hitchins
msg tools
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with this. The game comes up and theres a tie fighter on the screen...so I click one of the arrows around it and it says "heading away at 12 oclock" or something and then....what? Nothing happens. How do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaneHitchins wrote:
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with this. The game comes up and theres a tie fighter on the screen...so I click one of the arrows around it and it says "heading away at 12 oclock" or something and then....what? Nothing happens. How do you play?

When I do that on my version, I also see "heading away at 12 oclock", but also see a move, e.g. "4 forward", "3 bank right", etc.

Do you not see the move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Hitchins
msg tools
Yes I see that..what does it mean? I really don't get this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.