Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Minefields
X-Wing scenario rules set

I wanted to introduce these with a scenario, but I couldn't start one without a container template since usually you don't find mines without something they are guarding and containers seemed to be the least significant thing they protect.

Anyway, I thought they would be an interesting addition to scenarios for people who want to use them. Maybe to make it harder for one side or the other?

The rules for these mines reflect their usage and behavior in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer games.

Construction:
Mines come in three types, each with their own point value to deploy.

Mine Type A (laser cannon) 2 points per mine.
Mine Type B (Ion Cannon) 4 points per mine.
Mine Type C (Laser cannon w deadman missile) 8 points per mine

All mines have one hitpoint each. Mine C has a special condition when it is destroyed (See Deadman Missiles in Operation, below)

Operation:
All mines have an initiative of 0. They are the last to fire before players go back into the planning phase, regardless of other scenario conditions. Mines cannot ever move and do not roll agility dice.

Fire for all the mines are resolved by type, starting with A, then B, then C.

When the owning player attacks with the mines, he or she selects which target will be attacked. For every mine within range 3 of the chosen target, 1 Attack die will be rolled. The Defender however is allowed to roll 2 more agility dice (in addition to their built-in agility) given the terrible accuracy of the automated mines.

The procedure is repeated for mine type B and Mine type C.

Mine Type Bs are armed with Ion cannons, and follow the selected rules for Ion Cannons used in the scenario.

Deadman Missiles
Mine Type Cs attack like Mine Type As, but as soon as they destroyed they IMMEDIATELY launch a counter-attack of their own, resolved before moving on to the next player.

The attack is in the form of a single concussion missile. This means 4 dice are rolled, and ONE BLANK result is automatically changed to a hit (non-critical) result unless the player who destroyed the mine can successfully dodge it (implying that the pilot has destroyed the missile before it could get to him).

Setup:
Mines are typically arrayed in a grid pattern close to, surrounding, or on top of their objective. There is usually a space of distance 1 between mines when set up, to prevent collisions when friendly smallcraft are moving through them. There is no distinction between whichever type of mine is placed in the field, so long as it conforms to a grid (or not, depending on the scenario's particulars).

Minelayers:
Alternatively a scenario may call for a minelayer to start placing mines during combat. The typical minelayer is an adapted DX-9 Stormtrooper transport (which can be represented by the Senator shuttle miniature, With a hull of 6 and a shield of 5), but other craft can be designated by the scenario as well (such as CR90s).

To place a mine, the minelayer must remain stationary for one turn. At the end of the complete round when all players have moved, the owning player may place a mine in the location of the minelayer with the bases touching. Multiple mines cannot be placed such that the minelayer would overlap any of them. Only one mine can be dropped per turn by the same minelayer.

The mine is free to fire on the next turn.

The Minelayer rules are recommended only for larger scenarios as they may bog down gameplay with record keeping in smaller scenarios, as well as reducing their effectiveness as they cannot lay mines discreetly. Minelayers have a point cost of 40 to the scenario, deploying Mine type As unless otherwise stated in the scenario setup.

Counter sheet:

Alternatively the satellite tokens may be used as mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the game Empire at War, there were spots you could build a laser cannon turret or a missile launcher to protect your base and resource spots
just another idea for a spot to look for a picture to use as a counter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uh, I'm already going to be using the Mine A/B/C type screenshoots on Wookiepeida.

I'm aware of emplacements, but these are designed for scenario-builders to use the Mines in TIE Fighter and X-Wing. Anyone whose played those games can tell you how troublesome they are, especially the C type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone have any thoughts on these mines? Any obvious problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting ideas - though I need to actually try it out to see how it works.

Cost of type C seems a bit high and B might be a point or 2 low.

I had made a Seismic Mine token, though I hadn't really given much thought about how it would work.

Maybe you would have use for it with what you are working on.

Also, if you are interested, I posted a card for the DX-9 on A Few Maneuvers, along with a papercraft ship that is scaled for 1/270 that I will be using in one of the Redemption missions.

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45

Stats are based on a Wookiepedia article.

EDIT: LOL - just saw you referenced the DX-9 in another thread - thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone calling himself an X-Wing or TIE Fighter fan would agree with me in insisting upon the utility of the DX-9. That thing is everywhere, butt-ugly and bland or not.

Thanks for the seismic mine but I'm more interested in porting over X-Wing and TIE fighter stuff, not extrapolating Prequel things. Seems FFG is doing that anyway with regards to the Slave I's armament, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree - I really like the DX-9, and had actually made the mission tree for the Redemption missions to specifically allow for a boarding party mission with a DX-9 or two

Kudos on the idea of porting over the video game stuff - and I do like the minefield idea. Hopefully tomorrow will be a calmer (and drier) day and I can test out some minefields as a solo slalom run.

Mind if I post this over at AFM, or would you care to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I need to get around to registering over there. Are you the guy who organized it all? Kudos to setting up a community just for us X-Wing players. BGG is nice, but a dedicated community never hurt either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, DrkJedi is the one who setup the site (both old and new) and deserves all the credit. I am just helping out a bit with getting the content rolling.

And THANK YOU for adding these rules to the forums there.

It certainly can't hurt to have a few options for people to visit (here, FFG and AFM) - one of the interesting things they are doing over there is organizing Vassal tournaments. Pretty useful for those that don't have a local game store or the time to play during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.