Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darthmaul
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of Steam on the 2 player Scotland map.

1. When you Urbanize, do any cubes immediately go onto the new city?

2. Can you urbanize a city that is not currently connected to a railroad?

3. If you urbanize next to an unowned piece of track(abandoned), does anyone control the link?

4. If you urbanize a city right next to a starting city(bottom left of Scotland map), does the link between the city and the new city remain controlled for either link or scoring purposes by the original owner?

5. Can you ship, say, a red cube through one red city to reach a farther red city?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Played my first game of Steam on the 2 player Scotland map.

I assume you mean Age of Steam?

Quote:
1. When you Urbanize, do any cubes immediately go onto the new city?

In Age of Steam: no. In Steam: yes, you pick an unclaimed cube group and add it to the new city.

Quote:
2. Can you urbanize a city that is not currently connected to a railroad?

Yes (either game)

Quote:
3. If you urbanize next to an unowned piece of track(abandoned), does anyone control the link?

No, and since it is now connected to a city, anyone may now claim it (either game).

Quote:
4. If you urbanize a city right next to a starting city(bottom left of Scotland map), does the link between the city and the new city remain controlled for either link or scoring purposes by the original owner?

Hmm, haven't played any maps with directly adjacent cities. If it's not addressed explicitly in the Scotland rules, I'd say no.

Quote:
5. Can you ship, say, a red cube through one red city to reach a farther red city?

No, as soon as a cube hits a city of its own color, it is removed (either game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darthmaul
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it indeed was Age of Steam. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
[q="shadow9d9"]
Quote:

Hmm, haven't played any maps with directly adjacent cities. If it's not addressed explicitly in the Scotland rules, I'd say no.

It's been a while since I played the Scotland map, but I'd say yes, the link remains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for question 4 (new city next to existing city, what happens to track) Based on this thread, I'd say no.

Placing new city tiles

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
for question 4 (new city next to existing city, what happens to track) Based on this thread, I'd say no.

Placing new city tiles

B>

Yes, but the link between Ayr and Glasgow is similar to the adjacent cities on the Korea and Germany map. But those can't be urbanized, so it's a bit unclear how the rules work out in this case. The rules for the Scotland map doesn't clear this up either, despite the mention in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/359055/ayr-track-question

Any other expansion maps with adjacent cities like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany, I think, but the cities start as cities and have a place for a disc track marker between them.

I imagine this thread might get more specific help on the Scotland forum itself rather than the general AoS one.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Watson
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
Gamer for over 30 years, & online games retailer for over 10 years
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

No, and since it is now connected to a city, anyone may now claim it (either game).

From memory & playing it a lot, but no rules here, there is a stipulation in AoS (never played Steam) that to claim abandoned track you must extend it at least one hex (excluding any redirection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unhalfbricking wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

From memory & playing it a lot, but no rules here, there is a stipulation in AoS (never played Steam) that to claim abandoned track you must extend it at least one hex (excluding any redirection).

That's right, so completed and unowned tracks are unclaimable. (bankruptcy)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darthmaul
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to be sure, town spaces don't generally start with cubes, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Only in those maps that specify that they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.