Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Furball
X-Wing Mission
3 Players

Briefing:
COMPNOR has long identified Imperial Senator Hassan Ecto as a rebel sympathizer, but were too late to act when he decided to defect to the Rebel alliance!

Unfortunately he was kidnapped during his flight by the Hudani Pirates! Realizing who he was, they have decided to ferry him back to their headquarters to ransom him to the highest bidder.

Ecto's contacts in the alliance had to move fast if they were to ensure the Senator's safety. A strike group was immediately dispatched to intercept the pirate group and recover the senator.

Unfortunately Imperial spies within the Alliance had also caught wind of this plan and COMPNOR authorized a strike mission of their own to kill the senator! A strike element of elite TIE Advanced x1s were the only ones capable of a quick interception mission and were dispatched to ensure the Senator's destruction!

The resultant three-way battle between the Imperials, Pirates, and Rebel alliance went down in history as one of the most furious starfighter combats at the dawn of the Galactic Civil War!

Setup:

Player One (Hudani Group) sets up first. The Senator's Shuttle is placed at the center of one map edge, surrounded by three Y-Wings belonging to the Pirates at most 2 distance from the transport. The Y-Wings represent older customized models and are not armed with Ion cannons.

Player Two (Rebel Alliance) Places his strike group at one edge of his choice not selected by the Hudani pirate. In addition to the fighters selected, a Senator's shuttle (representing a DX-9 transport rescue team) is placed off-board until called for.

Player Three (Imperial Forces) Sets up on one map edge not selected by the Hudani or Rebel player. The Imperial player may only select hyperspace-capable starfighters for this mission (which at the time of this writing is only the TIE Advanced x1.)

Play begins.

Special Rules:
The Hudani Pirates: The pirates are flying older model Y-Wing fighters with their armaments cannibalized. During setup they cannot choose to mount Ion cannons, but may select other weapons and astomechs of their choice.

The shuttle under their control is actually the Senator's shuttle, though commandeered by the pirates who masqueraded as the ship's crew. It has no armament, a hull of 3, and a shield strength of 4.

If all the Hudani pirate Y-Wings have been destroyed or disabled, they can hyperspace two of their Y-Wings back on to the board from one map edge.

SW-4 Ion Cannons:
Any Rebellion ion cannons mounted in this game are the SW-4 models. They are used differently than the ion cannons in standard play. SW-4 Ion cannons can only fire in the forward arc of the Y-Wing.

SW-4 Ion cannons can be used to completely disable a starfighter for the duration of the scenario. To do so, the attacking player declares he or she is attacking with ion cannons when declaring attacks with the equipped fighter. Four dice are rolled and normal use of Target Lock or Focus can be applied.

If the total number of hits equals the number of hull points for the targeted vessel, the target is disabled. The disabled marker is placed on the vessel and it can no longer perform any actions, move, or shoot.

SW-4 Ion cannon hits do not cause structural damage- a ship hit with an SW-4 Ion cannon does not draw damage cards for the hit. However, hits with the ion cannon will still remove shield tokens as if they were normal hits.

If the roll was not successful (hits do not meet or exceed the hull value of the target), then the ship continues as normal and positive die results are lost (unless the target was shielded- it looses shields equal to the successes).

Ships disabled by the Ion cannon can only be "re-enabled" by being boarded by a sufficient vessel.

Rebel Rescue party
At any time during the scenario the rebel player can choose to bring the Transport into play. The rebel player has an unlimited amount of transports, but only one can be in play at a time.

The Rescue transport is represented by another senator shuttle model, standing in for a DX-9 Stormtrooper transport configured for this rescue mission. The Transport has a shield of 6 and a hull of 5.

The Rescue party can only dock with the Senator shuttle if it is disabled. The Rescue party must spend one entire turn overlapping the disabled shuttle to 'rescue' the senator. After that turn, the Rebel Rescue party must disengage from the Rebel home edge to win the scenario.

Forces:
(Recommended point total for each player is 80 points.)

HUDANI PIRATES:
Objective: Escape off-board with the hostage. If the transport is disabled, destroy it.

Player One (Hudani Squadron)
Up to 3 Y-Wings
No Ion cannons can be selected

REBEL ALLIANCE:
Objective: Recover the senator
At least one Y-Wing with an Ion cannon MUST be selected. Use SW-4 rules above in place of standard Ion cannon rules.

Player Two (Red Squadron)
At least one Y-Wing, DX-9 Transport in reserve.
One Ion cannon MUST be selected

IMPERIAL NAVY (COMPNOR):
Objective: Assassinate the Senator in-transit by either destroying his shuttle, or the Rebel transport he is being rescued with.

Player Three (T/x1 Alpha)
Hyperspace-capable starfighters (TIE Advanced x1)

Victory Conditions:
Hudani Pirates: They win if they manage to get the senator's shuttle off the board edge opposite of where they started. They draw the scenario if they manage to completely destroy one player's fighters after the Senator shuttle is disabled.

Rebel Alliance: They win the scenario if they manage to successfully rescue the Senator.

Imperial Navy:
They win the scenario if the senator is killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea to recreate a mission from the X-Wing/Tie Fighter PC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren B.
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome setup! I have to ask how you recreated the mission briefing style from the old X-wing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Screencaptures of the game with Paint and Photoshop to assist. Managed to grab the unit icons and de-colorize them so I can give them any color I want to when dropping them into a mission briefing.

The only problem is going to be portraying craft that were never in TIE fighter or X-Wing, like the Firespray.

Also this is not a straight-up port from the computer games, though I wanted it to seem that way. I think the PC games' playing fields might be too large to be represented in an accurate scale within X-Wing, since the games are not restricted to scale and are able to drop in Star Destroyers and stuff while we struggle with table space even with the Corellian Corvette!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good

If you send me a PM with the ship graphics you have, I can try my hand at creating a few new ones for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm guessing when you deploy your models you do so one range band from the table edge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uh...yes? Do I need to be detailed enough to cover the obvious?

The scenarios I write are with the mindset that they modify the 'standard' setup. That is, a 3x3' board with one edge belonging to the empire, one belonging to the rebels, and you set up on the very edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Fair enough, it's just that sometimes it's hard to predict what people will find obvious. As you said though you are just modifying the standard set up. This mission seems simple enough though that you probably can expect people to make the right assumptions.

I play a lot of mini games and there always seems to be someone who finds a way to misinterpret what I previously thought to be an obvious rule due to a tiny amount of ambiguity.

The mission, though , does look like fun! The three player free for all with each side having it's own objectives should make for some interesting play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.