Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Apparently the new placement rule should not be applied to the original boards... therefore, when using the new rule, all players must use the new boards.

However, do these new boards work equally well with standard rules? (And we can just use them for more map variety.) Or without the new rule, are these boards easier than the originals, resulting in skewed play if some have originals and some have new boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the instructions state that you can use the new rules, or just use the standard rules of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play with the original rules, and randomize the boards (amongst all boards, new and original, except board #1).
I didn't that the new boards are in general easier or harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
We usually play with the original rules, and randomize the boards (amongst all boards, new and original, except board #1).
I didn't that the new boards are in general easier or harder.

We do the same. Its just great that there are 17 (!) different boards to play on. I think they all work fine and are more or less well balanced (although board no. 8 seems to be strong ) However, we also include no. 1. Waerbaer, why not? Is it too weak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:
I think they all work fine and are more or less well balanced (although board no. 8 seems to be strong)

I too find #8 the strongest board. It has lots of small areas at the border for many early bonus points, including a potential player order lead due to the ships. And a nice big pasture on top for large points near the end.

Pasvik wrote:
However, we also include no. 1. Waerbaer, why not? Is it too weak?

We usually played this board for all players when introducing new players; and since i'm a member of a large gaming club, that has happened a lot.
And i don't like the fact that the castles and the mines are all together. Getting all 3 early for the points (and all the mines for coins) is just too straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.