Factories in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: South africans unable to fight?!?!?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver .
msg tools
Hello, hello,

a rules qustion regarding FIF:

It says that a production track has a stacking limit for land units equal to the number of factory smoke stacks associated with that tracks city.

It also says (in the RAW) that a major power can only build factories in their home nation (UK for CW).

How do i build South african units?

Thanks for those who reply.

O.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Oliver. I checked with Harry and well this is obviously a mistake - zero factories in South Africa means zero stacking by the rules.

It will be fixed in an upcoming rules update. But for now, put South African units on the Cape Town or Pretoria track - the INTENT is that they should be able to be built in South Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that applies to other CW home countries without Factories (ie Canada, NZ)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver .
msg tools
Hi WIF wendel,

thanks for your reply. you guys are very fast with those....

What do you suggest the stacking limit be then? one? And also, should that mean that its 1+factory stacks for everybody (maybe more rational), or;
rather that it be an exception based rule ie: that any country without factory stacks can build a single unit in one of their cities per turn (or capital or whatever)??

I know you don't write the rules, but your wif sagacity suggests you can predict what might come down the line at some future point.

If it were up to me I would have it that factories are not the limiting factor involved.... simply because weapons and/or men can move.
The issue with having it linked to factories is the obvious fact that some of these countries don't actually have major industry. but obviously in real life shipments of weapons could move from industrial centres to South africa and/or or shipments of men to be trained in other countries (i seem to remember reading about canadian soldiers getting some training on the salisbury plain).
Oliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit in flux. I think you'd be safe assuming the stacking limit for a box is one, or the # of factories, whichever is greater.

Edit: or you could just not use Factories in Flames... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver .
msg tools
I had a feeling you'd say that. ahhh... but i like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, but having just looked at the FiF tables, magically I find a production column for Pretoria (SA), Wellington (NZ), Cape Town (SA), Auckland (NZ) plus various Canadian properties. And the FiF rules say that you can build land/air units in the capital when here are no factories (3.3.1 in the annual) and naval units in ports.

The case is solvedd, as inspector Clouseau would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver .
msg tools
Yes, but the issue is not that you can build, but how much....?!?!?! these charts have stacking limits. Technically speaking if you have a stacking limit equal to factory stacks, and there are zero factory stacks then you're in big doo-doo....

Canada's good to go, those boys on lakeshore boulevard will switch from beaver pelt production and ice skates to military stuff.

preatoria is devoid of factories alas, so no builds for them, or so it would seem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cupbearer wrote:
Yes, but the issue is not that you can build, but how much....?!?!?! these charts have stacking limits. Technically speaking if you have a stacking limit equal to factory stacks, and there are zero factory stacks then you're in big doo-doo....

Canada's good to go, those boys on lakeshore boulevard will switch from beaver pelt production and ice skates to military stuff.

preatoria is devoid of factories alas, so no builds for them, or so it would seem.

There's been some discussion on a wif rules list that I'm on about this, after I pointed out this factory issue last week. I think the group is leaning to allowing units to be built in the capitals with a stacking limit per box = factories, with a +1 for capitals like Pretoria. Which in this case would allow S. African land units (and air units I guess) to be built in Pretoria but not Cape Town.

Which I think is dumb; it's one thing to restrict the ability of the Germans to build in Frankfurt say (not a factory), but seems silly to limit South Africa or New Zealand like this. But then again I don't like Factories in Flames and I don't use it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver .
msg tools
Hi,

I would tend to say your view of how it should work makes more sense then the group on the chat site.

making the capital produce extra changes the overall production amount.So i'd prefer to use your interpretation. but the issue with this is that you can move factories around, (your supposed to write in the name of the city or something). its tricky when you think about how that affects these rules suggestions.

Also, i've seen you post your dislike for this expansion. and im definitely not going to argue for it, except to say that i find it the most interesting of all the expansions.

why do you dislike it so much?

Oliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cupbearer wrote:

Also, i've seen you post your dislike for this expansion. and im definitely not going to argue for it, except to say that i find it the most interesting of all the expansions.

why do you dislike it so much?

To be fair, I have never played Factories. I do own it though. It just seems like a level of complication that doesn't add enough to the game to warrant it's inclusion. And it takes up a lot more table space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.