Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: games also for 1 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K8 K8
Poland
flag msg tools

Hello everybody!

Even though I created my account just few minutes ago, I use this site for a long time, as the best information source about all kinds of games. I noticed, that you helped a lot of people to choose the perfect games for them. That's why now I ask you to help me also

I'm looking for some games for 1 or more players. I often play with my boyfriend, but I want also have the possibility of playing alone, too. I searched the forum for a hints, but I didn't find anything, so I hope I don't duplicate the already existing topic.

Games I already have that can be played solo:
-Elder Sign (love it!)
-Arkham Horror (good, but a little too long)
-Thunderstone (also very good)
-Escape: The Curse of the Temple (doesnt have it yet, but will get it as soon as it will be available to purchase in my place)

I'm totally into all Lovecraftian horror games, but I really can enjoy all kinds of games, besides Sci-Fi games, which are really not in my type. Also, the best would be game with not so long setup time like eg. Mansions of Madness - love this game but many times couldn't play because of the time...

Please dear boardgamegeek community, help me choose something suitable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look into If I'm Going Down.... It's a very creepy game about fighting zombies. It is designed for 1 or 2 players. No idea how available it is in Poland.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game supports 1 or 2 players out of the box also. It's a lot of fun; but, I think that if you don't start buying expansions this game gets dull after a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You posted this note in Strategy Games/Forums/General. Does this mean that you are interested in Strategy Games that play with 1? Or any games that play with 1, in which case we might move the thread to Forums/General/Recommendations.

Also can you tell us a little more about what you like in games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Ginger
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi K8!
Here's a couple links you might find helpful -- lists of non-solitaire games that have solitaire rules on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30395/non-solitaire-games-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/394408/soloplay-variant-avai...

I can't speak to how *good* these rules are, but it's something to be aware of. I think that at least some of the rule sets have been extensively play-tested.

It's also possible to play any cooperative game as single player, simply by playing all the roles: Pandemic, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Flash Point -- and you obviously also know about Elder Sign/Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Mage Knight Board Game. It is a great game to play solo or with one other person. Any more than two and the game could be long.

Also I just finished my first game of Darkest Night. I played solo. The game was pretty good. Since you always play with four heroes I can't see it being any different with 1 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K8 K8
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you everybody for the hints, I'm in the middle of watching it all on youtube to check them and understand better

@Albert Hernandez - wow, "If I'm Going Down..." looks really creepu indeed, I like it! Thanks for that!

@Laura Creighton - yes, I prefer strategic games, that involves planning how to play whole game and thinking. I also like games which are randomised at some point - like in Thunderstone you randomise Heroes, Village and Monster cards or Smallworld where you randomise race with super powers (I know it's not for 1 player, but is a good example). Nice design and graphic are also big advantage.

@MJ Ginger - I didn't know these games are OK also for one player - you just added few more for my 'consider to buy' list

@Jason - how is it exacty with Mage Knight? I heard about it and watched it on youtube and it looked like the setup takes a lot of time. But maybe I'm wrong? And how long is the game for 1 or 2 players? I'm really curious about it because it looks like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola, Le Havre, and Ora et Labora all have solitaire modes. I think this is a priority for the designer Uwe Rosenberg who has made many other games besides these 3. You can look up the rest of the games he designed from his link.

Just 3 days ago I found out there is a way to play Taluva solo via rules written by a BGGer on BGG. see: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42571/soloplay_taluva_...

Tried it last night, and it is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_K8_ wrote:
how is it exacty with Mage Knight? I heard about it and watched it on youtube and it looked like the setup takes a lot of time. But maybe I'm wrong? And how long is the game for 1 or 2 players? I'm really curious about it because it looks like a lot of fun.

Mage Knight takes rather long... several hours.

But it is a great game!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe is available in polish even (not surprising, since the designer and publisher are from poland).

fractaloon wrote:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game supports 1 or 2 players out of the box also. It's a lot of fun; but, I think that if you don't start buying expansions this game gets dull after a bit.

Seconded. Including the need for expansions, so this can get expensive.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_K8_ wrote:

@Jason - how is it exacty with Mage Knight? I heard about it and watched it on youtube and it looked like the setup takes a lot of time. But maybe I'm wrong? And how long is the game for 1 or 2 players? I'm really curious about it because it looks like a lot of fun.

Mage knight is a great game. Set up is all in how you store the game. I can set it up in about 10 minutes. It can be a long game but once you get a few games under your belt the length isn't that bad. You can get a two player game in in a couple hours. That may be a little long for some but this game is worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Of The Rings is sounding like one of the best for you guys. Ir's amazing fun solo and is also amazing with more players. Cheap and easy to learn. Doesn't take too long to play.

Mage Knight. Setup is a couple of minutes. You need a big table or have to be really, really clever. Wonderful solo. Might be a little slow with more players.

Runebound is another possibly, but the two above are much better.

Field Commander Napoleon is a nice strategy game you might like even if you don't play wargames at all. It's solitaire only though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm basing my recommendations on solo (and possibly co-op that can be played solo) games that are horror/fantasy themed or escape themed. These are just a few of those available.

Dice of the Living Dead -- Free solitaire print-and-play

A Touch of Evil -- might be a bit too long

Arkham Express -- Free solitaire print-and-play

Cthulhu Zap -- Free solitaire print-and-play

Yggdrasil -- co-op, can be played solo

Delve the Dice Game -- Free solitaire print-and-play

DungeonQuest -- This is not co-op but can be played solo -- very difficult to survive!

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game

Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Forbidden Island -- co-op, can be played solo

Friday -- solitaire only

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations -- solitaire only (there is a Cthulhu expansion coming out sometime)

Zombie in my Pocket or you can try out the free solitaire version: Zombie in my Pocket print-and-play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Ginger
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday. As the poster above mentioned, it is solo only, but it's a pretty fun game. I purchased it recently and have enjoyed playing it. It's also not terribly expensive, which is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Please support King of Clubs on Kickstarter at http://kck.st/15ImgTf
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora
Snowdonia
Suburbia
Walnut Grove

Also: Solo Games Recommended by SHIGADEYO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for Arkham Horror and most of the D&D boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorwen Finarfin
United States
Lemon Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
&
Ascension: Storm of Souls

Both have Solitare rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_K8_ wrote:
I'm totally into all Lovecraftian horror games, but I really can enjoy all kinds of games, besides Sci-Fi games, which are really not in my type. Also, the best would be game with not so long setup time like eg. Mansions of Madness - love this game but many times couldn't play because of the time...
Elder Sign is in the Lovecraft universe from the same designer team as Arkham Horror. I've only played the Android version and only just got it. That said, Richard Launius is a favorite designer.

For solo Zombie action, Last Night On Earth is the game I recommend. This game creeps me out. I watch the undead shamble after me. I watch them surround me. I imagine them crawling up through floorboards and smashing through windows. Better with others, but campy and creepy alone.

A Touch of Evil is immersive and deeply thematic. I'll play when I'm in the mood for a Hammer Horror Film experience. You'll need one or both expansions. Though candy-coated with theme, the game is not "scarey." After a few games, you're going to win. The only mystery is how.

Finally, Nuklear Winter '68 will stretch you into wargaming territory, but there's very much a horror element. Definitely worth looking into here on BGG.

Any interest in dungeon crawls or fantasy adventures? Some good solo games there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories.

A co-op game that works wonderfully (read "brutally") solo.

Many find the rulebook confusing. I'd highly recommend checking out player aids and looking through the BGG discussions. But once you get a grasp of the rules, it's a fantastic game that definitely has you thinking the whole way through (though your plans will likely need to be modified with almost every turn).

There is also a Lovecraftian retheme of the game available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre and Ingenious are also viable choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Newlin
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
You should take a look at Onirim and Urbion. These are two great small card games that are super portable (small double deck Z-man boxes) and set in a dream-like world with pretty unique card art. They are for 1-2 player games, although I would say that they are probably better as solo games. Onirim is up for a rerelease this summer or early Fall in a newer edition with something like 7 expansions, which should make for a lot of replay ability. Shadi Torbey the game designer also has a few more games coming out in the near future that are wet in this "oninverse."

These are lighter games than Mansions of Madness, but are quicker and have easy setup/tear down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Irish in Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not only is this extremely obscure "strategy forum" completely hidden from everywhere on the BGG site with no links to it anywhere, once you find this place, people are answering questions that were asked 2 years ago. *Back to the normal forums*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least we're subscribed.

(And better late than never, Internet never forgets!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.