Subject: Three questions: Saracen raids, ties and claims rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Saracen pirates pillage Muslim territories in Spain? Sounds silly, but can't find anything forbidding it in the rules.

Can one establish a tie with a territory with a different religion?

Am I correct to assume that, if no other players have a claim on the territory, one automatically establishes a claim by having a tie if the territory has the same religion as the leader? These conditions would be typically met after a conversion, if the player has established a tie there before completing the conversion conquest (in order to reduce the likelihood of a rebellion).

Thanks in advance.
alessio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sirale wrote:
Do Saracen pirates pillage Muslim territories in Spain? Sounds silly, but can't find anything forbidding it in the rules.

Why not? Christian pirates preyed on Christian merchants all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirale wrote:

Can one establish a tie with a territory with a different religion?

Am I correct to assume that, if no other players have a claim on the territory, one automatically establishes a claim by having a tie if the territory has the same religion as the leader? These conditions would be typically met after a conversion, if the player has established a tie there before completing the conversion conquest (in order to reduce the likelihood of a rebellion).

Thanks in advance.
alessio

Yes to all 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

concerning my third question (tie and same religion, hence claim): in that situation (or whenever you establish a tie in a territory you own, of your same religion, and where nobody else has a claim), you would get both a claim AND a tie, isn't it? Just to make this absolutely clear...

Thanks again for the prompt clarification...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
sirale wrote:

Why not? Christian pirates preyed on Christian merchants all the time.

That was a very different situation: Saracen raids in the early middle-ages were highly polarised, anti-Christian endeavors. I couldn't find any mention, in any source, of muslim raids on muslim possessions in Spain (though my sources weren't that exhaustive). I think this is definitely a (minor) game quirk.

Anyways, do you guys play with the optional rule that raiders only attack once every game turn, rather every round? (I was thinking this would mitigate the issue to me, unless it then ends up making the raiders largely irrelevant...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirale wrote:
Thanks!

concerning my third question (tie and same religion, hence claim): in that situation (or whenever you establish a tie in a territory you own, of your same religion, and where nobody else has a claim), you would get both a claim AND a tie, isn't it? Just to make this absolutely clear...

Thanks again for the prompt clarification...

My understanding is you get a Claim. You already have a Tie, and nothing changes that. So you end up with a Claim and a Tie, not a Claim and 2 Ties. Just to be absolutely clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.