Othello» Forums » General

Subject: which version do you recomend i buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a few versions of this for sale- which would you recomend for portable , and for ease of use

is the one with green board made of rough fabric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara
United Kingdom
York
England
flag msg tools
Friedrich UK Open Championship 14-16 August 2015
badge
Friedrich UK Open Championship 14-16 August 2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would buy the cheapest one with 64 player pieces and then use with any 8 x 8 grid like a simple chess/draughts board or other board - or if you want it to travel with just carry the pieces and draw out an 8 x 8 grid on paper and hey presto!

To answer your other question the green fabric is not rough and is quite tactile yet hard wearing.

TARA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Should I stop doing the whole anagram thing?
badge
Congratulations! You found the hidden message! Geekmail your answer to me for your prize.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some nice, small pegs-in-holes versions that are perfect for travel, since pegs in holes won't slide around accidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The green fabric one is nice IMHO but it's definitely not small / portable. It's a "keep it at home" set, for us at least.

If you really want portable, I've seen quite small reasonably nice looking wooden sets sold at places which sell various quasi-hand-made wooden games and puzzles. The pieces are cylinders which fit into holes; somewhat cumbersome for flipping them between the black end and the white end of the cylinders, alas.

(Doh, ninjaed by Phil!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
This item turns up in thrift stores frequently.

You may want to visit a few off and on if you can be patient.

I picked up my version for a mere $1 this way.

Then again, you won't really be able to so much choose which version you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the version pictured on the front page of Othello:

Not only is it one that routinely turns up at thrift stores - and is also available at most big-box stores - but it has a reticulated felt board that prevents the checkers from sliding around. Many of the earlier editions have a felt board but are flat, which means if the board is bumped the pieces still have the potential to get out of place. Good luck in your hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all
anyone got the blue one ?

its funny its not for sale in geeky stores but in the main stores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Crazy Adam's assessment; the pictured late 90s/early 2000s Mattel version was the nicest full-size mass-market version ever sold in the USA. The older late 70/early 80s Gabriel version, as well as the Pressman versions had a flat felt board with black lines printed on the felt, so the pieces could easily shift. With a game like Othello where you are constantly manipulating and flipping the pieces all over the board, the stability provided by the recesses is a must.

Interestingly, the Mattel version pictured above and sold in the USA was produced in Italy, Czech Republic, or China. The Italian version has a nice, sturdy box (thick cardboard, corner reinforcement tape, and pasted high-gloss graphics sheet) and silver print on the board's "Othello" logos. Both the Czech- and Chinese-made versions had a very flimsy box with glued tab corners and feature white paint on the "Othello" logos. The board and piece quality is excellent and virtually identical on all three versions.

Gabriel's 1977 Pocket Othello is the best of both worlds being portable, practical, and of very good quality. Folding, metal hinged board with magnetic closure, raised and painted reticulations to hold pieces in place, and the pieces store in two removable trays for each player to draw from during play. It's one of those portable versions sized and designed just right so that it can replace the full-sized version in your collection, plus has (had) a lower cost, and saves shelf space. Similar to Hive Pocket and Travel Quirkle in those respects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several interesting boards at Masters Traditional Games, who are UK based:

http://www.mastersgames.com/cat/board/reversi.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.